Offaly GAA is in Some State

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Daleamar
County player

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Post by Daleamar »

Round Inside wrote:
Daleamar wrote:We are not effing Dublin and never will be. Why don't we compare ourselves to something realistic and attainable.

It's all but professional but in name? Then why are we bothering our holes talking about it? If we don't have the money and never will have the money (or population) to run things the same way as them then why do you idiots keep trying to compare us to them?

Ye things can be done better by those at the top. But in the same vein. Things can be done a whole lot better by the supporters/clubs and players.

It's always somebody else's fault.
It's about having the right attitude and right structures put in place. Look at the hurling championship now, several teams competing and we look like we could be going back to the 90s in terms of competitiveness. People in the likes of Clare or Wexford could have said 'oh we're not Kilkenny or look at the size of Cork' but instead got stuck in, did things right and are reaping the benefits now at all age levels.
Oh so you do agree with me then?

Ye people in the likes of Clare or Wexford actually went out a DID something. I dont think all there woes were sorted on a discussion forum with bright ideas from bright sparks.

When are we going to read a forum stating something along the lines of 'meeting in Tullamore/Birr at XXpm to put forward ideas/ a plan for the future of Offaly, All Welcome'.... Better still, 'county AGM, we are going to oust the county board and do something ourselves rather than constantly complain and do nothing about it'... Or start wherever it needs to be started. If that means get elected in your club first then do that.

Just stop coming on here and telling us how it should be. Those discussions were had years ago and we are still here.

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Daleamar wrote:
Round Inside wrote:
Daleamar wrote:We are not effing Dublin and never will be. Why don't we compare ourselves to something realistic and attainable.

It's all but professional but in name? Then why are we bothering our holes talking about it? If we don't have the money and never will have the money (or population) to run things the same way as them then why do you idiots keep trying to compare us to them?

Ye things can be done better by those at the top. But in the same vein. Things can be done a whole lot better by the supporters/clubs and players.

It's always somebody else's fault.
It's about having the right attitude and right structures put in place. Look at the hurling championship now, several teams competing and we look like we could be going back to the 90s in terms of competitiveness. People in the likes of Clare or Wexford could have said 'oh we're not Kilkenny or look at the size of Cork' but instead got stuck in, did things right and are reaping the benefits now at all age levels.
Oh so you do agree with me then?

Ye people in the likes of Clare or Wexford actually went out a DID something. I dont think all there woes were sorted on a discussion forum with bright ideas from bright sparks.

When are we going to read a forum stating something along the lines of 'meeting in Tullamore/Birr at XXpm to put forward ideas/ a plan for the future of Offaly, All Welcome'.... Better still, 'county AGM, we are going to oust the county board and do something ourselves rather than constantly complain and do nothing about it'... Or start wherever it needs to be started. If that means get elected in your club first then do that.

Just stop coming on here and telling us how it should be. Those discussions were had years ago and we are still here.
Edit*

I bet half the people on here complaining don't pay annual membership to any GAA club.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Agree Delamar,

Participation is the key!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i see where Padraig Boland has had a right cut at some of the offaly hurlers and said even if we had Cody he wouldn't be able to handle some on the panel, and lash the 14 lads who walked during the year. he seems to be putting the blame on the brutal year the hurlers had onto the players. some players did walk during the year but thats their choice and some were let go as they are not good enough and won't be next year either.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Townman do you have a link to Padraig Bolands comments?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

http://hoganstand.com/Offaly/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=221122

Jesus. Disappointment comment from the County Board chairman. Blaming the players. the only thing in the county that we can't change is the players,
Pissing them off is only shooting yourself in the foot.
But not surprising that this Chairman is more interested in protecting his own statue than improving the things that can be improved in the county.

Blaming the players instead of working with then is very disappointing. saying that Coady couldn't management then just should how stupid this chairman is.
It does nothing to build the confidence of Offaly people.
Its so negative it shocking that any county board chairman could make a comment like that.

If the man had any respect for the County he resign after that comment.

The more i think about it the more upset and anger i get.

It like a chairman going into a company and tell all his employee that their shit after they had give up 4 night a week to work for free.

If i was a hurler in Offaly i would hurl for that Bollox after that comment.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Toxicity234 wrote:http://hoganstand.com/Offaly/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=221122

Jesus. Disappointment comment from the County Board chairman. Blaming the players. the only thing in the county that we can't change is the players,
But not surprising that this Chairman is more interested in protecting his own statue than improving the things that can be improved in the county.

Blaming the players instead of working with then is very disappointing. saying that Coady couldn't management then just should how stupid this chairman is.
Its so negative it shocking that any county board chairman could make a comment like that.

It like a chairman going into a company and tell all his employee that their shit after they had give up 4 night a week to work for free.

I havent heard many disagree with him...

Did you ever play the game Toxicity? Did it feel like work?.... Sorry pal if it did. It wasnt supposed to.

'Hurl for that bollox'... Its not for that bollox anybody is hurling surely?

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I did not read that as "blaming"

He did make a valid point of the difficulty of managing certain lads........................... and is that not true ??????????????

A lad pissing off to Marley Park when a last game was on before the Tipp game is the sort of thing no other county would tolerate

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I appreciate that Offaly Hurling is in a serious state. Offaly Hurling will not be corrected if people in authority who make decisions do not take full responsibility when those decisions go wrong. The number of players who "left" the Offaly Senior Hurling Panel has come as a huge shock to hurling followers all over Ireland. Our Co Board chairman says these players could not be managed by Brian Cody, Davy Fitzgerald etc. Our chairman did not admit that he appointed a manager of our senior hurling team who is able to "manage". All the players who left the panel were chosen by the manager. If there were "difficult" players on the panel, why were they not removed from the panel months ago?. The reasons I think the players may have left might be due to poor organisation (remember the open evening in Tullamore), poor fitness/physical training, better skills training being provided by their clubs, poor team selections/game plans and poor " team management". Offaly now needs a high profile experienced Senior Team Management or even more will walk away from the panel.
At coaching level the recent comments made by Pat Cleary regarding people from "hurling areas" only being involved speak for his ability and yet our Co Board are wondering why we no longer compete at any age level.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Sharp Eye,

The open night in May was well organised. I can vouch for that as I was involved in it. BOTH managers agreed to bring in players from each panel, but only footballers turned up. The organisers could not do anymore than was done bar physically contacting each player and when managers say they will bring them that should mean that! Alan Mulhall had a mini blitz going, kids got a goodie pack and both adult n kids got fed. So the organisation was good.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Truesupporter wrote:Sharp Eye,

The open night in May was well organised. I can vouch for that as I was involved in it. BOTH managers agreed to bring in players from each panel, but only footballers turned up. The organisers could not do anymore than was done bar physically contacting each player and when managers say they will bring them that should mean that! Alan Mulhall had a mini blitz going, kids got a goodie pack and both adult n kids got fed. So the organisation was good.
I am stating clearly that the Offaly Senior Hurling Management did not ensure that as many Senior Hurling Panel members as possible were there on the evening in order to meet our younger supporters. It is well known that younger supporters "look-up" to and are inspired by players and not by Team Managements even if they were stars in a previous era. Offaly Hurling needs to avail of the very few positive PR opportunities that become available.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Daleamar wrote:
Toxicity234 wrote:http://hoganstand.com/Offaly/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=221122

I havent heard many disagree with him...

Did you ever play the game Toxicity? Did it feel like work?.... Sorry pal if it did. It wasnt supposed to.

'Hurl for that bollox'... Its not for that bollox anybody is hurling surely?
Funny. i haven't hear anyone agree with him. if you beleive that insulting the players is the way forward fair enough. They will be very few players that will hurl for you.

Do you believe that the County Board Chairman comment are good comment??
Will it encourage the good young lads that are in clubs training with the lads he has just insulted to come and play for Offaly.
Do you believe that the Offaly Hurlers are realy that hard to handly??
Do you believe that Brian Whelehan has got the best out of Offaly hurling this year??
Do you believe that lads that trained some of them for Novmeber to somewhere between March to July don't deserved a little bit of respect for the chairman. ??

We must be the unluckiest county in Ireland that Joe Dooley couldn't get around 10 lads to commit. Ollie Baker couldn't get around 10 lads to commit and Brian Whelehan couldn't get half the county to commit (including half of Birr) .

I'm Sorry saying that the lads are unmanageable IS blaming the players.
Their unmanageable because the manager has feck all experience for managing players. Whelehan abused lads this year sorry that the true.

I said this for the last number of years Players are smart, They know if the manager has a clue or not.
You can't expect player to stuck around when they been management by someone daft.

You said that Hurling isn't a job. Well Running Offaly Gaa is a job!! Boland just made a huge mistake. He insulted the lads that make him money.

Boland need to have a good looking in the mirror. The Blame lies with him and his selection committee for appointing an inexperience managers and expecting players to follow him into hell like lost sheep.
Christy Ring and Division 2a Hurling is where we heading and with comment like that for Boland it will be very soon.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Kid
Junior C

Post by Kid »

Well Running Offaly Gaa is a job!! Boland just made a huge mistake. He insulted the lads that make him money.
Good Lord, you do know that it's a voluntary position right?

Might not have been the place to make such comments, but as already stated, he said SOME players were difficult to manage, SOME (assuming the quote was even accurate)

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Interesting reading. Some excellent, balanced, well- thought out points, some bordering on rants, but can't be faulted for passion, and there is something of merit in every post.
The issue I see here is that there are too many issues- many angles to many problems, but problems exist to be solved or worked around, or else they'd be called barriers.
So pick one or two, state the problem, identity the symptoms, identity the roots, outline possible solutions, take constraints into consideration and pick a plan of action, pick targets within a timeframe, and review as it's going.
Take an underage hurling or football team, for example. Is every player eligible at that age group playing and training? If not, why not? Are there good coaches over the team, who can engage with the players, make training interesting and enjoyable? If not, can the management team be freshened up? (Diplomacy may be required here!!!). Are the coaches qualified, and between them, does the management team have a credible knowledge of training methods? Are there dual players or players playing at more than one level? If so, is there cooperation between the different management teams? If not, why not?
Finally, setting and attaining goals- there can only be one A and one B winner, so where would this team fit in the pecking order? How would relative success be measured- improving results and closing the gap on rivals? Contributing players to county squads? Developing future players for the club?

Ok, so maybe this is a simplistic example, and very different criteria would need to be used for the county senior teams, which I'm not qualified to judge. But if, as the title of the thread suggests, that Offaly GAA is in some state, then a root and branch reform is required.

I just think that criticising and knocking those that are trying for the sake of criticizing, settling old scores, sneering and deriding those that have stepped into the firing line achieves little. An ounce of constructive criticism or practical advice is worth a lot more than a tonne of abuse. I'm not having a go at anyone here, or looking to start a slagging match, it's just I'd prefer to see potential solutions than rehashed problems...

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

The fccuucking Open night?
What in the name of God has this to do with lads walking off the panel?

Yes , management should insist on the players being there and they should have turned up.