Offaly Senior Football Management 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Re: Offaly Senior Football Management 2015

Post by substandard »

Would Anthony Cunningham be worth an approach, if Galway hurlers go with Anthony Daly? He'd be an experienced head, and between club football and county hurling, has operated at the highest level?

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

substandard wrote:Would Anthony Cunningham be worth an approach, if Galway hurlers go with Anthony Daly? He'd be an experienced head, and between club football and county hurling, has operated at the highest level?
Take a look at the thread name? "Football"

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I would hazard a guess that substandard means Anthony Cunningham for the football based on said coaches experience with Garrycastle?

Might not be a bad option!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Daleamar wrote:
substandard wrote:Would Anthony Cunningham be worth an approach, if Galway hurlers go with Anthony Daly? He'd be an experienced head, and between club football and county hurling, has operated at the highest level?
Take a look at the thread name? "Football"
He won a Leinster club title with Garrycastle. There will be candidates who've done less than that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

He was a whisker away from winning the All-Ireland with Garrycastle that year, as they drew with Cross in the final.

I'm surprised you omitted the fact that he won a Connacht (football) club title too - with your newly adopted club.

Anyway, if he meets with the expected opposition from Brendan Lynskey over the Galway job, don't be surprised to see him turning up in the Westmeath football job.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

The Magpie wrote:He was a whisker away from winning the All-Ireland with Garrycastle that year, as they drew with Cross in the final.

I'm surprised you omitted the fact that he won a Connacht (football) club title too - with your newly adopted club.

Anyway, if he meets with the expected opposition from Brendan Lynskey over the Galway job, don't be surprised to see him turning up in the Westmeath football job.
That would be the good lady's club, Dysart (St Aidans territory) is where I'm living now. An important distinction that I'd need to make if I'm to ever be taken seriously by the new neighbours!

honey badger
Junior B
Club: Offaly

Post by honey badger »

10 Years ago i believe we had a great manager in Gerry Fahy & he was ran out as CB wouldn't back him for a second year. I Think whoever the new manager is they need to be given time 3 year min. They need the backing of CB and players have to buy into whatever the setup is. Would love to see a proven senior manager with 2 former great players as selectors.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

honey badger wrote:10 Years ago i believe we had a great manager in Gerry Fahy & he was ran out as CB wouldn't back him for a second year. I Think whoever the new manager is they need to be given time 3 year min. They need the backing of CB and players have to buy into whatever the setup is. Would love to see a proven senior manager with 2 former great players as selectors.
Welcome aboard Badger, always nice to have new wildlife popping up!

I'd be very wary of a guaranteed three year term, which is a lifetime in the modern game. I agree completely that we've discarded managers too freely in the past and certainly the failure to hold on to either Paul O'Kelly or Gerry Fahy was without doubt the first big step in our decline from being a top ten county to where we are now. I'm not saying that managers need to get results the whole way up along the line, of course there should be a bigger picture, but you need to have metrics by which they can be judged all the same - if the wheels are falling off, there needs to be some way to hold players to account or else a whole generation could be lost. Six of the lads who featured against Wicklow in our most recent championship outing were under-21 this year - they can't afford to wait three years while some manager finds his feet in the job.

I wouldn't be insisting on a manager getting promotion or anything, though it would be nice if he did, but there needs to be some way of assessing if progress has been made. Resist change for the sake of change by all means, but Emmet McDonnell just completed two years at the helm and it's fair to say that it didn't work, a third year wasn't needed to prove that another direction was required.

honey badger
Junior B
Club: Offaly

Post by honey badger »

Thanks for the welcome,

Emmet McDonnell introduced a professional approach to training a team which had them physically fit but wasn't able to identify or implement a game plan that suited our players.
I believe this was because of his lack of senior football experience and an inability to look at a match rather than being in a match. Too many panic calls and picking players out of position. If we can get a manager who puts in a 3 year plan like what jim has done with donegal we can start stepping in the right direction again. if not we will continue to decline.

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:I would hazard a guess that substandard means Anthony Cunningham for the football based on said coaches experience with Garrycastle?

Might not be a bad option!
Pardon my ignorance

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

If Anthony Cunningham is on the rebound after getting shafted by Galway, I doubt Offaly is the first county he'd want to go to in order to prove a point.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

honey badger wrote: If we can get a manager who puts in a 3 year plan like what jim has done with donegal we can start stepping in the right direction again. if not we will continue to decline.
Absolutely agree on this. All I'd say is that there has to be milestones along the way that should be met, so that players, supporters and most of all the clubs can feel like there's a reasonable prospect of being in a better position when the three years are completed. We saw what happened in Westmeath with Paul Bealin; the manager and the chairman felt that there was a three year plan in place and that there was no reason to go against that, but the clubs voted him out. I personally think Westmeath should have held on to Pat Flanagan and I don't blame Paul Bealin unduly for losing most of the games that they did, however he gave them absolutely nothing to hold on to. You need to be able to say that after year one, I expect to have achieved X, Y and Z, whatever those goals are, and to go from there then.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

From HoganStand:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=225000

Host of names linked to Offaly job
26 September 2014

Plenty of interest for the Offaly senior football job.
The Offaly senior football manager’s job seems to be one of the hottest tickets, if the reported interest is correct.

There is an alleged three interested candidates from outside the county as former Longford manager and Kildare footballer Glenn Ryan, his ex-county team mate Dermot Earley and former Waterford manager Niall Carew all linked with the job.

A further three Offaly men are in the running also as Clara’s Pat Flanagan, Edenderry’s Peter Brady and Gracefield’s Padraig Dunne have been nominated.

Flanagan is believed to be the front runner for the role as the former Westmeath manager has yet to commit for another term with the Sligo footballers.

The selection committee of Padraig Boland, Fergal McKeown, James Brady and David Coffey have begun the interviewing process this week.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Of the 3 Offaly candidates I would like to see Flanagan get a shout for the job , interesting to see 3 Kildare men looking for the job , I have heard Carew is meant to be a good manager , Ryan has experience with Longford , Earley would only be starting out so I couldn't see him getting the nod . Good to see some interest for the job , division 4 football wouldn't be to attractive for anyone coming in but I suppose it would give time to build a team up from the bottom because that's where we are now and it will take yet again 3 or 4 years before we see any progress.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:If Anthony Cunningham is on the rebound after getting shafted by Galway, I doubt Offaly is the first county he'd want to go to in order to prove a point.
he has got another 3 years with Galway.