What are they smoking in Birr?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: What are they smoking in Birr?

Post by ryot »

greenairfield wrote:You make some great points and over anyting else hard work is the key specially into schools. But still after years of bad results and trust me with years to come, I still don't know if we coped on and learnt from our lessons. I am not certain if we even have the right lads at county level to drive the whole thing on which is really worrying and I am pretty certain we don't have the right men coaching either.
In my opinion, the bitwhere you say " specially into schools." is the first part of a major cop-out................ I believe the hard work has to start in the clubs, in their academies,,, We cant pass the responsibility over to the teachers, many of whom may have no interest in hurling or any GAA and in fact if they have any sporting interest it might be in other sports.

As for believing that playing county games in Brr rather than in the well appointed OCP, is the cure all, is total rubbish........ The cure might start if the stayaway supporters get off their high-horses and start to support their teams,,,,,,,,,, by going to the games, whereever they are played and supporting Club Faithful and the Faithfull Fields project...........

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Ah kaiserchief come on now birr didn't take there eye off the ball atal, they lost half there parish, and there main school for hurlers is full to the neck of forgein nationals who weren't there many moons ago.
Birr face a stiff battle too other sports also which only town clubs have to face. They have a good committee now and in 6 or 7 years things will be back on track.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

And I suppose hurling being in OCP is the reason for this.

My friend this is evolution and the word CHANGE. Stop whinging, get over it, put the work in & support your teams.. :o

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Yes kaiserchief..because the change of Offaly hurling to OCP has been so fruitful... :lol: :lol:

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

well it seems until we run free buses from south offaly the county doesnt have full support until hurling is dragged back to birr.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

greenairfield wrote:Yes kaiserchief..because the change of Offaly hurling to OCP has been so fruitful... :lol: :lol:
Well it seems that Offaly didn't need to play in St Brendan's park on Sunday to beat Laois, wonder why? :roll: :roll:

Besides Birr haven't exactly been rooting up trees over the past few years at St SBP and to blame foreign nationals is a total cop out, Remember its not the student but the teacher!!!

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Truth as I see it how is it a cop out?
Look around the country what town clubs are at the top of the pile very few.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

greenairfield wrote:Truth as I see it how is it a cop out?
Look around the country what town clubs are at the top of the pile very few.
Thurles sars
Na Piarsaigh
Glen Rovers
Ballygunner
Portlaoise
Castlebar Mitchell's
Mullingar sham
Ballyboden
Sarsfields (newbridge)

Only a few, I suppose....

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Nearly all of them clubs u mentioned are either twice the size of birr TOWN or.....cities :roll: which is a different matter all together.

So I stick by my first statement.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

I have refrained from getting involved in this debate but now its getting ridiculous.

A Pitch shouldn't determine the success of a team in any sport. O Connor park is one of the best pitches in the country, never mind county! Tullamore is more or less in the centre of the county so every club is no more than 30 odd minutes away from the ground. If people think that the downfall of Offaly Hurling since 2004 is because the County matches were moved to Birr, well then they need their head examined. Do they not relise it has anything to do with bad Coaching, Lack of underage structure, Living on past glories? Offaly are not a top tier anymore - lets face it. We are in the same bracket as Laois, Kerry, Antrim etc. and rightly so.

Moving the hurling games to Birr isn't going to make the slightest difference. Is it going to make an Offaly player work extra harder if the game is in Birr? Do the hurlers not put in the effort if the match is in Tullamore? If that's the reason then they would want to get their priorities straight and ask why their representing the county. What about the Hurling supporters in the North of the County? Why should we be made travel an hour to Birr? Even though Football is no1 up here we still support the hurlers as much as the footballers. Do people in the south support the footballers as much?

Greenairfield - I can see that your passionate about Birr and that. I would be the same if my club had county games moved away, but then I would look at the bigger picture. An excellent facility in the middle of the county that benefits everyone? I would say Lets go with that and sure if my club get a few league or walsh cup games then all the better at least everyone is supporting the county.

And as for the likes of Na Fianna etc. causing the below performances of other clubs? Laughable! Teams from the "North" are reaping the rewards of years of hardwork - its up to other clubs to get their own house in order!

There are some excellent posters on here, but there are some very bad ones that stick out like sore thumbs.
Lets support the county as a whole and get rid of the invisible line that splits the county. Were all Offaly at the end of the day - and PROUD to be!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Very well said

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

the outsider - hit the nail on the head

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Have na fianna stepped up to the mark or is it just because teams this endof the county aren't at the level they were?

We are struggling at county level underage so I think that gives an indication on where or players standards are at club level so I would question how strong that Na fianna team would be in the minor championship of 6 or 7 years ago.
I have repeatly said moving hurling out of Birr was just ONE of many reasons why hurling has fallen in the south end.
KC no point taking anything you say as you are clearly anti Birr in all you posts.

I have always said OCP is a great venue but no point have a great venue when our teams are nowhere near competing at a decent level.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

greenairfield wrote:Have na fianna stepped up to the mark or is it just because teams this endof the county aren't at the level they were?
Isn't that what Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp said when Offaly, Clare and Wexford were winning All Irelands.
It's cos we're bad, rather than you being good.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

BNM I think the results speak for themselves.

When Birr and Banagher for example were at the top of the minor hurling championship,we competed against Kilkenny, wexford, Dublin.

Now that 'different' clubs ie. Ballinamere, Na fianna are at the top and Birr,Bangher and the likes are struggling- it kind of shows where we are with underage at the minute.