What are they smoking in Birr?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bula bula
All Star

Re: What are they smoking in Birr?

Post by bula bula »

townman wrote: tell me this we had the two grounds for donkeys years, Birr always was the hurling view, county finals should be held there, tell you with the crowds going to watch hurling in O'Connor park they are not making money i'd say there was about only 80 offaly people at the minor match again laois this year.
was talking to a county player a few weeks ago and he said to see a few people sitting in the middle of the stand on match day is a joke he said there would be more at the trainning sessions they do.

not just hurling for a town thats in the heart of the football scene there is less watching the footballers in O'Connor park, next year they should give the likes of Gracefield,Walsh Island, Edenderry a few league game as they will be well able to hold a crowd for division 4 games. and
like so in the hurling Banagher, Birr, should get a few games like it was years ago at least you get better gates than having them in tullamore. they only used for tullamore is now is for other counties to used it like the last two weeksends because our county Board and they carried on with the underage has seen that it will be many along day before offaly will pack it out on big match day again in either code.
My god I have read some Shite here but that really takes the biscuit. I actually usually like to read your posts as they are different to most here but your Birr bias has really taken over with this post. I thought we had moved on from the football/hurling divide :O
"Ohhh mamma!"

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

It's amazing how quickly we have descended from talking about Offalys future and how to fix it to petty club rivalry.

To address some points, So Birr won Offaly 2 county all Ireland's in the ninetys??? No other Offaly club had hand act or part in it....really??!! In fairness Birrman that is b@llshit, Clareen, Rynaghs, Tullamore, Kilcormac, Coolderry, Lusmagh (May be more!) provided first team players. Are you saying Hubert Rigney, Martin Hannamy, Kevin Kinnehan, Kevin Martin, John Troy, 3 x Yaba Daba Dooleys etc had nothing to do with it!!

Let's be clear Club and County are 2 different kettles of fish, And the 1990's and the 2000's are 2 very different decades.

Talent in hurling is something you sometimes can't train, people have a natural talent that must be built on to achieve success, it just so happens birr had a little but more of this at senior level in the 90's which coincided with a good Offaly team.

If we took your logic into account birr didn't contribute to anything in the 1980's as they didn't win a county in that decade

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Can I just open a can of worms for this debate also.

Not all the players from that era where actually from Birr? where some of the players not transfer or stolen from surrounding clubs like Crinkle?

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Stolen?? They hurled for birr all there life's does it really matter where they are from birr men ..its not a big secret where some of them live kaiserchief talking absoloute wallop as usual.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

lets not los the run of ourselves here
My point is that we are now entering the 5th year that Birr might not win a county title at any level.
and instead of having a very clear and strategic plan to get Birr out of the rot that they continue to waste all money on resources into trying to have a county ground. we don't need two county grounds in Offaly.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

whats your plan for Banagher who are not enterning their 21 years without a senior title, i can't see what your at on about Birr not winning anything Clareen a while to since a title, i don't think Birr are wasting their money having a good club ground.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:Can I just open a can of worms for this debate also.

Not all the players from that era where actually from Birr? where some of the players not transfer or stolen from surrounding clubs like Crinkle?
you can say that about most clubs Rynaghs had Coleman and Flannery, Galwaymen hurling with them
John Ryan another, tullamore in both codes had players for years from other clubs or countys with them. even k/k have a roscrea man with them . silly post from yet another bitter fan outside of Birr.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

townman wrote:whats your plan for Banagher who are not enterning their 21 years without a senior title, i can't see what your at on about Birr not winning anything Clareen a while to since a title, i don't think Birr are wasting their money having a good club ground.
Now your comparing a club the size of Birr and a club the size of Clareen. Get real for Gods sake. It's obvious Birr club is struggling and I just cant believe that a real big effort isn't been made to sort this out.
You can have a good club ground but you don't need to waste the money that you already have in Birr and continue to do so on trying to have a county ground.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the talent is not in Birr at the moment look we went from 1971 to 1991 without a senior title we have no god given right to win titles every year we were bless that the group that came in the late 80's
the players under johnny pilkington are doing their best and lost last years county final and 2012 semil final to the winners both years k/k, so they are not that far away, yes i fear they will drop futher behind when the likes of Hanniffy, Cleary, Hayden, are finished, but iam sure in a few years time their will be a new batch of lads pushing Birr back to the top, you can't just throw money at talent that isn't there, just look at the money kildare footballers county board has spent over the years for last sundays display.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

you can't just throw money at talent that isn't there,

Unreal shite! so no point in developing players in Birr cause they werent born talented.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Seen an under 14 hurling match this evening in tullamore. Tullamore vs birr. Ended up something like 7.12 to 1.5 to tullamore. Don't get me wrong tullamore have there own problems in underage but for birr to be shipping a defeat like that it's obvious they need to turn there attentions away from finishing a poxy terrace and get the underage structures sorted out ASAP. That tullamore team is strong and have already hammered Rynaghs in banagher. Next match is vs shinrone who I believe are strong too. Referee got some shocking abuse off a few birr supporters at the end. It's not as if it was close. I hope they have started to get some structures on place in birr. Offaly needs a strong birr team.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the above should also be to our county board never mind a lovely looking ground our county teams are dying on there feet, and yes thats a brutal score to lose to tullamore to, but as i say the talent not in Birr that was their, same goes for Rynaghs look at k/k, they are hurling senior as long as i can recall
and i am no spring chicken but yet have only 2 titles and like ourselfs they to will be gone when this bunch past on.

but what can one do only grin and bear it. :wink:

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Townman I sincerely hope your attitude is not reflective of the attitude that is in the birr club. Talent isn't there is such a lazy way to look at things. K/k are not resting on there laurels and are still working hard at developing and coaching the next group of hurlers. K/k will be around competing for championships for a long time. How did tullamore get to have such a strong under 14 team. Through the hard work and commitment from a group of coaches who were willing to put time and effort into nurturing talent. Your attitude is actually reflective of what the county boards attitude is Ah sure the talent ain't there we will wait till the talent comes through again. Holy fuck that is so backward and is the root of what's wrong with offaly gaa. Without the the commitment of coaches to get coached in the right methods to teach and instill all the right things for a young boy or girl to reach there true potential offaly gaa is going nowhere.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Townman that is a ridiclious perspective of how you look at things within our club...I think in many ways the way the county board rubbed off on the birr club..where it ended up been people gettin the jobs at board level and the underage coaching got them because nobody else wanted them..which ment you were left with the bottom of the barrel people who were running things..birr have waken up and there is serious work now been put in as u can see with the u 11 team who are leinster champions and taking part in the all Ireland final stage in a few weeks time.the u 14 team is poor overall..but they still have 3 lads on the offaly u 14 team which means we will still be hoping to get a couple of them young lads to senior grade..The draw was held last night and they made great money which will help things down in the field regarding the terrace...I don't think that money has to be "pumped" into underage as I have every faith in Gary cahill that the right work is now been done with the underage teams..

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

the talent is always there in every area.

you have to go out and find them, nurture them, develop them and look after them (most importantly).
I think enough clubs don't do that
they'd rather spend money on an outside trainer for their seniors than invest resources (people and money) in the future of the club
only the best...