Drills

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Thereorthereabouts
County player

Drills

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

Hello Uibhfhaili!

Just inquiring as to what drills senior clubs and county teams are doing to improve there game while simulating real game play.

From when I was young, we have always done similar drills and sometimes they can get monotonous.

We all know the 4 cone and criss cross hand pass, followed by pass right, run straight, then switch it to pass left and run straight, then criss cross and bull the other guy out of the way.

That is usually followed by a "truck and trailer" hand passing where Man A starts at Cone 1 and passes to Cone 2 and Man B (at cone 2) passes back to Man A and the he passes to cone 3 and then Man C at Cone 3 takes off...
(one of my favorite drills, that has quick movement and passing in a 20m x 20m square) - any square smaller means guys dont get feck all running.

Then it moves into a 20 yard kicking drill from cone to cone (which usually ends up being a 15 yard kicking drill, which would be a hand pass in a game).
Eventually it is moved to a 30 yard kicking drill that makes more sense.

I understand some drills depends on numbers attending.

In my opinion all drills, including warm up should feature a ball. I think the emphasis of the game is far too much weighted in fitness (which is important) but we are losing skills of the game, the touches, the flicks, the 50 yard pin point pass - The parts of the game that makes it UNIQUE.

Just wondering what positive drills other clubs are using to improve footballing techniques and incorporate game plans.
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Drills

Post by Buttons »

One of the lads from work was telling me that to get a lads speed and agility it has to be done when he is about 7-9 years old ideally, this is done on the ladders. He is from Roscommon but some coach was telling him that. I suppose if you get the legs sorted out early and can get that one yard free from an early age other skills can be worked on later

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Its common enough knowledge.

Most speed is developed in two spurts when growing.
Ages 7-9 (approx) it is all about speed of feet - how quick you can move going forward, side, turning. So all that can be taught with simple ladders and restricted stride length drills eg as many foot strikes in 5metres.

Aged 14-15 length of stride must be developed. Here players develop proper running mechanics to aid speed.

Though the above and other stuff can be done with older players to improve speed, they are the main two windows of opportunity to coach it. And speed is a coachable skill
only the best...

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

The GAA.ie website has a lot of stuff available online. Have a look here http://learning.gaa.ie/node/177610

When I was coaching kids Hurling, I had the "Fun-Do" pack and DVD's and found them great at giving ideas for different drills. I think most of them would suit adults too. See if anyone in your club already has that pack.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.