Clare looking for an Investigation!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Clare looking for an Investigation!

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

See that one of the hierarchy in the Clare county board looking for a full investigation into the "events" of last Sunday in the match v Cork.

I didnt see the full game only the highlights on the Sunday GAme. Davy spoke about Cork getting a few dodgy frees, but I dont think there was anything major.

What I did see though was some poor defending by the Clare backs, and they were a little off the pace.
Is this an attempt to deflect the attention off the level of performance ny the Clare team and the fact that Cork seemed to be far sharper and stronger around the field and have all the talk about the referee and the annual conspiracy that follows Clare?

Personally I think the referees have a near impossible job to do given the pace of the game and there definitely is a good amount of simulation taking place, and sometimes the roar of the crowd in these situations can influence the ref in a fifty fifty situation.

There was one scandalous decision alright where the centre forward for Cork ran straight at the Clare defender, fell into him and got a free. But I am sure that these even out over the course of the game.

One man that always annoys me listening to commentary is JAck Nolan on Radio 3, Laois are always being hard done by according to him! By the way is this the same Jack Nolan that is involved with the Laois unedrage development?

What do ye hurling men think, was the ref poor, or agin Clare last Sunday?

timber
All Star

Re: Clare looking for an Investigation!

Post by timber »

No suprise here. Clare were well beaten all over the field and the ref was the problem. Typical. Yes Cork got a couple of handy frees. Clare also got a couple of handy ones. The reason Cork scored so much from frees was because they were fouled and frees were rightly awarded most of the time.

I never heard the Clare county board looking for an investigation into the soft frees their smaller forwards were getting last year. Clare play very close to the line. So much so they need a referee who lets alot go.

Do we remember the Clare team of old that swarmed around referees and in particular umpires to try influence decisions. This is an attempt to influence/intimidate refs that they get in the rest of the championship.

hawksforever
Junior B
Club: clara

Post by hawksforever »

Clare looking for an investigation , they are the ones that should be investigated.
I belive that up to 20 of them were screaming their heads off at the ref in the tunnel at half time using very foul language.
All decent gaa people know that they had no answer to Corks game plan and Fitzgerald been a pup out of Loughnane needs someone to blame.
Sick and tired listening to the Biddy Earlys whingeing when things dont go to plan.
Constant criticism by these people on referees performance must stop now and adding to this it must stop on the Sunday game.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Cork were better on Sunday, that's it. No amount of moaning about the ref. will change that.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Clare like their ex manger Ger Loughlane are sore losers always were.

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Serious lack of any balanced discussion on this here. Cork scored 2-11 from placed balls and every time Clare threatened to build momentum the referee handed Cork a simple free. It was without doubt the worst refereeing performance I have seen in a top level hurling game. Don't let old wounds cloud your current judgement. It calls your credibility and objectivity into question completely.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

It would not matter if Cork scored 5.50 from placed balls. Fouls are fouls. Clare were punished because they got a ref who picked up on their over the top tackling. Cork may have got a couple of debatable frees but over the course of the game Clare got decisions that benefitted them too. I dont get why Clare are making such a song and dance about it.

Dont talk to me about soft frees. I am sick of watching the likes of collins get free after free everytime they get any contact.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote:Serious lack of any balanced discussion on this here. Cork scored 2-11 from placed balls and every time Clare threatened to build momentum the referee handed Cork a simple free. It was without doubt the worst refereeing performance I have seen in a top level hurling game. Don't let old wounds cloud your current judgement. It calls your credibility and objectivity into question completely.
your dead rite about the lack of balanced discussion. your suggesting dat McGrath gave cork handy frees to stop clare momentum. It calls your credibility and objectivity into question completely

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm hugely surprised at Clare here, and I'm really not sure what their thinking is. They know full well that there won't be an "investigation", or anything like it, and to do so would be a huge insult to James McGrath. It gives out the impression of being sore losers, and after the way Davie Fitz reacted to Brian Gavin's refereeing of the drawn All Ireland final last year, it's fair to say that there is something of a pattern being formed.

It's genuinely as if some people think that a referee has only done his job well if he's given out no cards and the foul count ends up dead even. I remember this happening first when Laois under Mick O'Dwyer played Offaly twice in 2003. He spoke on TV after one of the games - can't remember which - about how Laois hadn't been given any scoreable frees, as if they were entitled to a certain quota. He happily tacked on how "I don't remember any single instances, but still you'd imagine we'd get a few". Infuriating stuff.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Free Tin-foil Hats with every Clare jersey sold.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

its seems to me davy is trying to provoke a responce from the clare team by implying everyone even the ref is against them .
davy knows well that the score line flattered clare and clare will not defend there title with such a poor display again this year .
clare lacked hunger and looked out classed at times but rember cork have learned from last year and have put more men down the middlle and there sub bence looks strong now .
cork are a good county to correct mistakes and often go on to win an all ireland after loosing one with a poor team .
i expect a huge responce from clare

Tar Man
Junior A

Post by Tar Man »

Lone Shark wrote: I remember this happening first when Laois under Mick O'Dwyer played Offaly twice in 2003. He spoke on TV after one of the games - can't remember which - about how Laois hadn't been given any scoreable frees, as if they were entitled to a certain quota. He happily tacked on how "I don't remember any single instances, but still you'd imagine we'd get a few". Infuriating stuff.
This was the replayed game in Tullamore. In the first game in Portlaoise Offaly led well at half time. In the second half Laois resorted to diving and won a lot of frees. Their goal from Mick Lawlor came about thro' over-carrying (by Ross Munnelly I think). As Laois had got to the League final that year and being Micko's first year in charge there was a big emphasis on the game. All the handy frees, diving, over-carrying was hi-lighted in the media and they received next or nothing the next day. This was mostly because the Offaly defenders were cuter.

The drawn game will be remembered for two other things 1) Ciaran McManus sending over a 45 with the last kick of the game to earn Offaly a draw and 2) This was Niall McNamee's debut for Offaly.

Laois won Leinster that year. Offaly were managed by Paul O'Kelly and had a decent run in the qualifiers before losing to a Frankie Dolan inspired Roscommon after extra time in Mullingar. I would say at that stage we were definitely top 8 in the country. Where did it all go wrong? A lot of people will point to Paul O'Kelly's sacking as the start of the decline.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

We had a bloody good team, possibly Paul O'Kelly was dismissed too early , no doubt. But if he was so godd, how come he never went on to manage elsewhere, or did he?

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Tar Man wrote:Their goal from Mick Lawlor came about thro' over-carrying (by Ross Munnelly I think)
I'm not even going to bother trying to argue with the "diving" comments but the late Laois goal that day came from a long ball into Kevin Fitzpatrick who laid off a fairly dodgy handpass to Lawlor to score.

Laois scored five second half frees that day, Colm Quinn kicked three for ye.

Ye never should have sacked O'Kelly, in my opinion.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

id say one of the biggest mistakes ever made by the offaly county board was sacking paul o kelly. the fact he didnt manage any high profile team after after is incidental.i dont know him from adam but id say he was sickened by the whole thing and lost intrest thereafter. the decision to sack him was closely followed in wrongness by the sacking of gary fahy...