County Board administrator role

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalys future 2
Junior C

County Board administrator role

Post by offalys future 2 »

I would plead with the county board and the county delegates to not waste money on employing an administrator.
I am highly skilled in I.T and would happily do this for free.

The money you are going to waste would pay for a sports management firm or HR firm to conduct a review of Offaly Gaa and also conduct interviews with people who are interested in improving offaly's fortunes.

What is so worrying is that a discussion was had at the last county board meeting about possibly having a full time administrator in the near future. With no opposition from any delegates to the best of my knowledge.

6 years ago i offered my services for free also.

Daleamar
County player

Re: Administrator

Post by Daleamar »

offalys future 2 wrote:I would plead with the county board and the county delegates to not waste money on employing an administrator.
I am highly skilled in I.T and would happily do this for free.

The money you are going to waste would pay for a sports management firm or HR firm to conduct a review of Offaly Gaa and also conduct interviews with people who are interested in improving offaly's fortunes.

What is so worrying is that a discussion was had at the last county board meeting about possibly having a full time administrator in the near future. With no opposition from any delegates to the best of my knowledge.

6 years ago i offered my services for free also.
Surely this has to be taken seriously?

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Offalys Future wrote:Not if you were to read some of the other posters on this forum. They tell you if you want to help you can - but when you offer to help your not wanted!

I just cant for the life of me see how they will waste money on an administrator when the money could be used in a far better way.
It sounds like its either creating a 'job for the boyo' or else there is something they dont want Johnny Randomer to know.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buck Face
Senior
Club: Mullingar

Post by Buck Face »

Did your own delegates not raise your concerns at the meeting?

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buck Face
Senior

Post by Buck Face »

Your delegates are there to represent your club so did you raise it at club level at least in an attempt to get your delegates to raise it as an issue?

To answer your question, do you seriously expect me to raise concerns by saying that I know or sort of know of a forum poster from somewhere or other that assures me he/she will do this job for free?

Or do you not think it would be better to go through the right channels?
Last edited by Buck Face on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buck Face
Senior

Post by Buck Face »

Who is a county board delegate? You?

Did you raise those questions with your club? Or do you think this is where things are done?

Offalys Past
Junior C

Post by Offalys Past »

First time posting here but I have enjoyed following the debates over the years.

I find this latest criticism of the county board to be the most perplexing yet. So a part-time administrator is to be appointed? This strikes me as eminently sensible. It should help make the running of GAA in the county more efficient and free up board officers to spend more time working on their areas of responsibility.

Offalys Future, your offer to provide your services in IT for free would be laudable, except you cannot be serious. What credible organisation or enterprise would identify the need to create a paid position, only to jettison it at the first offer from somebody off the street, or the internet indeed, offering to provide the service for free? Whoever is appointed to this post will surely be required to work within a structure, under the direction of the county board chairman and management.

Besides, you ask: “What specifically will this part time administrator be doing and how much will they be getting paid?” So you’re claiming you can do this job for free even though you don’t know what it involves. (The job advertisement is on the county board website, by the way).

Posters frequently come on here and lament that we’re not keeping up with other counties, that we don’t have a strategic plan like, say, Kilkenny have. Well, one of the things in Kilkenny’s 2010 strategic plan was the appointment of a “full or part time paid executive to deal with the entire financing operation of the board as well as the role of secretary, commercial/corporate manager etc”.

This sounds a lot more costly than a part-time administrator. But maybe they tend to think bigger in Kilkenny. We’re Offaly, let’s keep it small and amateurish.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Administrator position is now advertised on offalygaa dot ie.

But hurry hurry hurry. Closing date is Friday 1st August.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

So just go ahead and apply for the job OF. But i'm guessing you should not be as blunt during the interview as you have been here!
And if you get the job, you can secretly donate the money to various projects around the county, become a sort of "Highway to Heaven" character from the 80s TV show.

But seriously are you going to apply?
Would imagine that there would be a lot of interest in it.