Strength And Conditioning

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
backofthenet
All Star

Re: Strength And Conditioning

Post by backofthenet »

sam88885a wrote:lads i think loughnane is correct about strength and conditioning if he was talking about our defence or midfield but bergin and dooley have lots of power but lack real pace and to be honest look completely few up with b whelahan .
the word coming from the offaly camp has been poor since janurary when t carroll s coughlan j mulrooney d kilmartain d shortt g connelly d king all walked away from the set up to go PROPPER TRAINING with their clubs

Cannot agree that Dooley lacks pace in fact it's the one thing he is 100% not missing, his condition may have caused his pace to deteriorate however and a focused training program would recover the vast majority of this

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Again I would think that a lot of this talk about peak physical condition for the position they are playing in, and the type of gameplan is put forward by lads trying to make themselves seem important.
How much different can the game plans be in hurling, and what different attributes are needed? Kilkenny effectively play a posession game in that they are confident that whatever way they hit the ball to a team mate he will fight tooth and nail to get it, but invariably they will aim to hit a 60/40 ball into space on the outside of the attacker.
Will there be much difference in how Wexford and Dublin play the game? Fitness and Strength are standard enough in many counties.

Feck it now, if I spent as much time working on me own S&C as talking about it, I might be still kickin a bit a ball. Jayz lads, tis Friday, (can only mean one thing!!), hopefully the wife has a bit of S&M lined up tonight! Good chance now with the Late Late show over for the season :o

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

theres too much made of loughanne by everyone from clare people to the media in general.he threw away and all ireland in 96 by playing the wrong team against limerick.the first year he was gone cyril lyons got an aging clare team to an all ireland final.he then went to galway,took over a good team and failed miserably.before he ever took over clares senior team he was seen as a mad unpredictable firebrand .it was len gaynor put the foundations in place.he just took over at the right time...as said above joe bergin wasnt cleaned out at all by his marker,it was just wrong tacics to maximise his talent. slagging shane dooley is a low class thing to do consideeing his injury problemsl loughnane is just like dunphy. selling tabloid papers..looking for a reaction...offaly are just not good at the moment...we seem to think changing managers will solve everything..we got rid of good people over the years football managers like paul o kelly and gary fahy a few years back.made a few bad choices in hurling..bad bad moves.now were in bottom 20s in football and about 13/14th on hurling...no decent manager would touch either with a barge pole.. the rehab work has to start from the bottom...i was reading an article on something about an offaly lad bringing his 18 yr old son to nowlan park last sunday.he said he wouldnt be hopeful of ever seeing offaly being able to give kilkenny a game in his lifetime..i hope hes wrong but i can see where hes coming from.im living in clare a long few years and weve had great years in 80s/90s.and we usta have a great crowd of biffs going up to dublin from ennis and limerick sunday mornings ...never got tired of it .wont be going for a while id say sadly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i agree with everything u have said about loughnane BIFFINBANNER but club hurling is still very strong in offaly much better than club football . i feel when managment and former players keep implying that all current senior hurlers are useless lads start to belive them . i not saying offaly are great at the moment but everyone needs to stop kicking them when there struggling and encourage to get up and fight on .that what happened in 1998 offaly hurlers refused to listen to all the experts and did thing there way . i dont see leaders on the field to tell managment to change current game plan

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Good to see some sensible posts. I agree with the last few. Offaly are down at the moment, but we're not out. Loughnane is probably worse than Dunphy in that I think Eamon D knows that he there to be cranky and narky and everything that the pundits on other channels are not. I have little time for his opinions.

We are a small county. Our crop of talent will always be smaller than KK/Cork/Dublin/etc will have available. But all we need are 12 or 13 lads with genuine natural skill, a collective desire to get the best out of themselves, and a lot of luck for most of them to stay healthy and fit for a season. It can happen, and even if it doesn't, we'll always have the 80's and 90's to look back on and know that we've had more great days than Loughnane's Clare has had.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

locky didn't look too smart today when his highly conditioned lads were blown away by the rebels.

face on him like a bulldog suckin piss off a nettle..

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

JBM is very wily manager and always has his teams well prepared.
They are only coming to the peak of their powers with the squad they have.
He really gets the best out of the players available.

Could you say the same about Offaly?
ie maximising resources.
only the best...

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Just on this general topic

I know that informal talks have been held with a very capable S&C coach and a facility with a view to winter training for county adult squads and also upskilling coaches with some S&C skills.
Good to see things being moved in the correct direction
only the best...