Respect

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Respect

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I have noted one poster has began signing his name to his posts with the words “Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly”. In the light of recent issues raised by players regarding posting under anonymity on this and other forums I have decided to do the same.

Because I no longer want to be tarred with the brush of being a 'keyboard warrior'.

In particular, the person who posted the stuff about James Dempsey's health last week needs to take a look at themselves. Perhaps they made it up themselves, or they heard it from someone else. It is quite possible that someone who is close to James Dempsey read it here. Think of the unnecessary distress that would have caused. Some people need to be first with the news, but would ye think of others before yereselves just occasionally, please.

Some of you may know me anyway, and readers of the departed Offaly Express may have identified my writing style as I did some reporting for that publication. I also contributed a piece of Offaly’s current situation which appeared in last night’s Official Programme.

Anyone else going to follow Tim Hennessy’s lead? Over to ye.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

stand back
Junior B
Club: ballyskenagh killavilla

Re: Respect

Post by stand back »

good man pat. I'm the bk captain. Doing this for a couple of reasons. We had Ken hogan giving us a mental health talk and he told us how 14 year olds are being told they are shite and have no heart. Secondly I've great respect for shane dooley and joe bergin who have said their per hate is anonymous sites.
Tim hennessy

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

fair play plain of the herbs nice bit in the programme about the Dooleys and the two kinnittymen

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This is an excellent idea and I'm happy to get behind it. As I've mentioned before, I don't think my identity is a secret to anyone, but I don't believe in writing anything on here that I wouldn't put my name to, and I think if we all thought like that and presumed that what we write will be read by everyone, including those named, then we'd have a much better site all round.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I actually find that bit quite chilling, I must admit.
stand back wrote:We had Ken hogan giving us a mental health talk and he told us how 14 year olds are being told they are shite and have no heart.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good idea.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

I enjoy the anonymity of the site, and don't particularly feel comfortable revealing my identity. I have always respected players and officials, and never made anything personal (intentionally at least), and so never minded posting anonymously.

Given that some have decided to reveal their identities, I think this site should only be for people who do so, as to have others carrying on anonymously with the crap that has made the site hard to read of late, will only serve to reflect poorly on those who are putting their names in the public domain, and hence their reputations at stake by being associated with negative comments.

I will still read the site regularly, but won't be posting from now on. Best of luck to all those who make this place enjoyable.

PS maybe it's none of my business, but I find it strange that stand back commented on the 'Offaly Hurling 2014' a number of weeks back to opine that B/K co-captains Ferguson Hannon and Timmy Hennessy should be on the Offaly panel, and now turns out to be one of them players. Modesty is obviously not as important a trait as I have always thought!

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Over The Black Spot you are right, it is unfair we write with anonymity whilst others are now known public figures and I will also cease posting for the respect of those who put their names forward and also the public figures who I post about.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

I respect and admire the willingness of those who revealed their identity, especially those frequent posters who offer constructive criticisms and opinions. However, I think it's disappointing if it does eventually lead to others deciding not to post, and also it would seem unfair if those that choose to remain anonymous and pour out invective could continue to do so.
I'm not from the county, and have been living and working here for 14 years, and been involved in GAA for 12 of those years. I enjoy it a lot, and have made many friends (possibly, but hopefully not, enemies too!!) In that time. I enjoy this site for the variety of viewpoints on hurling and football, and would hate to think that apathy or disillusionment would cause this forum to fall away like the hoganstand one.
For what it's worth, and I've said it before, I did my level one coaching in Tullamore not long after coming here (12 years ago, if anyone else did it then?), and I found it massively helpful and enjoyable, with a huge interest and goodwill across a broad spectrum of clubs working together and bouncing ideas around about the best practice at the time. The first few years, I regularly came across many of the men and women at club matches, but not so many since. I think that, with morale currently so low, something like this next winter could help galvanize and motivate folk on the ground to start the hard work required to restore pride and Offaly's good name.
P.s- I choose to remain anonymous for now, because as far as I can tell, I've never said anything potentially offensive, but if I ever was challenged over what I'd say that could be taken as such, then I'd happily put my hand up and sign for it.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Over the black spot,
Dont give up posting here.

The guys deciding to put their names to it is their own choice....I am in a similar situation to you, I wouldnt be comfortable putting my name on a website, and am happy with most of what i have put up here, (of course plenty of ye mighnt be, such is life.) Given the nature of club rivalries and things, starting out on a coaching road, I would rather not put my name up here.
But well done to Timmy for nominating himself for the county panel if thats correct!!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

With the way this site has plummeted over the last few months and the absolutely disgraceful comments of certain posters with obvious personal agendas against the senior hurling management I too am saying farewell as this will be my final post.

Enjoyed the good times but I've really grown disillusioned over the last couple of months with some of the vitriol that has been posted.

PS Stand Back promoting himself for the senior hurling panel is an absolute gem!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lot's not overreact to a small minority of posters who post guff. It's about 5 or 6 at most out of a total membership of hundreds.
It would be a pity if the quality informed posters were pushed out by a few twits who aren't clever enough to be tactful or constructive.

I think it's everyone's choice to remain anonymous. People have various reasons for not wanting to broadcast who they are. They might have bosses who take a dim view of internet usage during work hours.
Plenty of people know who I am. I try not to post anything offensive or indulge in personal criticism that I wouldn't say to someone's face, bearing in mind that no player sets out to play badly.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

I've already offended enough people on this site.
I think it's best that I maintain my anonymity, for personal safety reasons.
Nobody needs to know my identity, it would damage the town to hear it!

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

For the simple reason that an average time analysis of my posts would cause some alarm for my employer I wont be identifying myself. Some PM'ers know me by name.

There are a few posters (particularly in the hurling side) who contribute nothing other than to diminish the reputation of this site further. I've grown very weary of it of late.

The jocular Jim Rome radio show –The Jungle- in the US used has an immediate cut-off policy for any caller to the show who couldn't articulate his point or was a fool (Rome himself was also an fool but the show was entertaining).

They should be collectively cut immediately with no further explanation needed - and again on any subsequent re-emergence.

That said , no more than the County Board administrative position, a site administrator can be a thankless task and policing is not always practical or possible.

Unwarranted criticism of amateur players should be a zero tolerance offence and I like to feel that I have been consistent on taking issue with such personal criticism as it arose in the past before it got worse in recent times.

I have on occasion rounded on the hurling development and officer selection policies of the CB which fall well short of those in other counties on any objective analysis, inclusive of financial impairment and available facilities. I have tried not to be personal in my criticism (where that was possible) and to throw a bit of humour in if I can. The fact that CB officers give of their time voluntary is fundamentally honourable and we all know the wheels of Offaly GAA would grind to a halt without such volunteerism. This should not obstruct the message getting out there that change is needed. Brian Carroll ,fair play to him, articulated this far better than I could and followed it up in Nowlan park with a performance of true honour and distinction that his late father would have been proud of. I believe Brian has a future in the youth development in the County if he so wishes.

I have also rounded on Dathi. Dathi is paid by media outlets for his opinion and analysis. Fair play to him and fair play to him for getting involved with Shinrone which of itself, is walking the walk. The poster who took issue with his son playing rugby needs to go way and have a good chat to himself. Outrageously small minded stuff. That said, Dathi or anyone who on occasion rants anonymously or publicly should be held to account for any utterance which goes beyond the fair comment pale. One doesn't have to have donned the green, white and gold to know where fair comment starts and finishes.

I continue to play hurling for my local club outside of OY (badly) and will get involved in local club administration when my nippers come of age as I wish to give back to the youth some of the joy which playing the game has brought to me.

If my involvement with this site has perpetuated a debate which has in any way contributed to players negativity as articulated recently by some players and the bad headspace that Offaly hurling finds itself in, it is something I am not comfortable about. In the PTSD that still lingers since Saturday, I will retire my account for that reason.

Thanks to the administrators for giving of their time over the years with this site who got me through some tough work days!

Stand back – if that’s true that you talked yourself up for a run with the county – that’s pure class! A good case made for continuing anonymity there!

Finally - High School Musical - Lets have you. Are you Tupac the reincarnation?!

stand back
Junior B
Club: ballyskenagh killavilla

Post by stand back »

What I posted anonymously 2 months ago was that I thought we should get a look in ( meant a trial). I have since put on a signature that has been applied to all my posts. Still think the same just ask ken hogan, joe bergin, or the egans from ferbane belmont or the brosna gael lads who stood out for bk against their senior teams. As for modesty 10 years with skenagh is not the breeding ground for arrogance. I give plenty back with our juvenilles and junor a team. By the way in our match gainst coolderry I could see brian carroll was on fire. unreal first touch. Well done to him for his recent performance. Ps over the black spot and killoughy go bragh stay posting.
Tim hennessy