The 'anonymous' Offaly team

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

The 'anonymous' Offaly team

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

On a sad night for Offaly Gaels, for me personally the most pathetic aspect of all was on page 18 of the programme. That listed the teams for the half-time ‘Go-Games’. Except in the space intended for the Offaly boys hurling panel read “the Offaly boys panel not available at time of going to print”.

Now we all know Offaly see underage development as something for the likes of Clare, Laois and Dublin (who are seen in a snobbish light as not having ‘natural hurlers’ like Offaly do).

This is not the first time that Offaly failed to supply a team list for a programme, as I noted here recently. In other words, last night again spelt out that Offaly don’t give a shyte about underage stuff.

I understand the Offaly team who fielded was the Shinrone team who won the National Schools Final two weeks ago, and their prize for winning that competition was that they would represent Offaly in Nowlan Park last night.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Re: The 'anonymous' Offaly team

Post by Truesupporter »

As someone who has chased managers to name teams for programmes, I can say that the producers of last nights programme ( O'Loughlin Gaels) would have given until the last minute for a team list to be given. If Edenderry were able to do so in time why did the boys winners not do so. It would be up to their management team to do this.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

seen that on the programme just another one to the list to the mess we have became, :oops:

darraghc21
Junior C
Club: Shinrone

Post by darraghc21 »

This is absolutely bullshit. As a member of the Shinrone management team, I can say that the reason we delayed in sending in our list of players was that we had to pick 10 players from the list of 13 who started our Cumann na mBunscol final and that took some deliberation. The list was sent in on Tuesday morning which we were told would be plenty of time for inclusion in the match programme. To call this a 'mess' is insulting and offensive to the panel of players and the management team who have been unbeaten all year, even travelling to Kilkenny outside school time to play Brian Cody's school in a competitive challenge game. Anybody who saw us winning the county final by 13 points (for the second year in a row) would know that this team was excellently prepared and certainly there was no disorganization on our part.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

darraghc21 wrote:This is absolutely bullshit. As a member of the Shinrone management team, I can say that the reason we delayed in sending in our list of players was that we had to pick 10 players from the list of 13 who started our Cumann na mBunscol final and that took some deliberation. The list was sent in on Tuesday morning which we were told would be plenty of time for inclusion in the match programme. To call this a 'mess' is insulting and offensive to the panel of players and the management team who have been unbeaten all year, even travelling to Kilkenny outside school time to play Brian Cody's school in a competitive challenge game. Anybody who saw us winning the county final by 13 points (for the second year in a row) would know that this team was excellently prepared and certainly there was no disorganization on our part.
Well said fair play , keep the good work up on the pitch with the young lads , I hope they enjoyed their day , I played at half time in few offaly games as a young lad and it was a great honor .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

darraghc21 wrote:This is absolutely bullshit. As a member of the Shinrone management team, I can say that the reason we delayed in sending in our list of players was that we had to pick 10 players from the list of 13 who started our Cumann na mBunscol final and that took some deliberation. The list was sent in on Tuesday morning which we were told would be plenty of time for inclusion in the match programme. To call this a 'mess' is insulting and offensive to the panel of players and the management team who have been unbeaten all year, even travelling to Kilkenny outside school time to play Brian Cody's school in a competitive challenge game. Anybody who saw us winning the county final by 13 points (for the second year in a row) would know that this team was excellently prepared and certainly there was no disorganization on our part.
i saw the team was missing yesterday.
have to say that i glad to hear that it the print fault.
watching the work shirone are putting in at all levels makes me a happy man. its a great club and well on its way to been a powerhouse of Offaly hurling.
Darraghc21 well done you and all the people in the club who have put in the hard yards over the years.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Thank you for clarifying.

Well done on the Final win and all the best to Shinrone.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.