Something Positive Here

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Something Positive Here

Post by Kevin »

I wouldn't know how much this will help per se, but it certainly won't hurt.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=217230

Cash boost for Offaly hurling
29 May 2014

Dermot Hogan takes over the Offaly U21 hurlers.Offaly is to receive €45,000 per year to help develop hurling in the county.

The four-time Liam MacCarthy Cup winners were omitted from the €900,000 five-year funding initiative when it was announced by GAA president Liam O'Neill at Congress in February, but they have now been included following a request from the county board. Antrim, Laois, Carlow and Westmeath had already been assigned development funding.

Offaly's decline in fortunes, coupled with the county's lack of training facilities which was highlighted in recent weeks, were factors in them being granted the funding.

"We have to be realistic and look at things as they are, not as they were. We have had great success in hurling since the start of the 1980s but that's history now," Offaly's Central Council delegate Pat Teehan told the Irish Independent.

"In terms of infrastructure, we'd be fairly closed aligned to the four counties who were included in the new funding programme, which was why we decided to apply.

"In fairness to Croke Park and Central Council, we were pushing an open door," the Coolderry man added.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Something Positive Here

Post by bracknaghboy »

Interesting to see what will be done with the 45K per year. Lets hope its not wasted and given to some greasy intercounty manager. I'd hope that some of the money would be used to try and promote hurling in the likes of Edenderry and Gracefield.If you draw a straight line down the map just east of Tullamore then hurling is all but gone this end of the county. Big population in Edenderry these days and plenty of youngsters about so no excuse for not trying to get it going again in there.
Lets hope all the counties involved have to account for this cash, right down to the last cent. Also I'd hope there are some guidelines as to what exactly the money can and cannot be used for. But look at least we have it, lets use it wisely.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

I expect that these funds would have been granted on the value of submissions made by our CB to Central Council.
These funds will already be earmarked and someone with connections to the CB could tell us where the money is destined to be spent.
Anybody?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This little nugget from today’s Indo is interesting.
The additional money, which will be paid directly to service providers rather than county boards, can be spent on various team supports above and beyond what would normally be provided.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling ... 13697.html

I imagine Offaly will have to present some form of a strategic plan for the use of these funds. Bear in mind that this is a count y where strategic plans are unwelcome, as Paul O’Kelly found out a decade ago. You would think that any plans that are presented will be compared to plans that progressive counties have put together, and that will not be doled out to former ‘liginds’ who will merely oversee ground hurling drills before going for a feed of pints to reminisce on the days they used to fall out of a pub before going on to line out in Croke Park 12 hours later.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

€45,000 that will be wisely used to do things like a presentation night for the 1995 all Ireland winning team so we can get all the legends back together for a good piss up!!

I assure u of this, that money is never going to make any difference to the state of hurling in Offaly because we've got too many people on the cb who live in the past & think the problems within Offaly hurling at the moment are because lads today just aren't passionate about the jersey...like the great Offaly teams were!!
The Untouchable

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Untouchable you couldnt of put it any better...ancient county board get with the times and wake up to whats happening..and realise just cos you won an all ireland with offaly doesnt mean you can manage teams..its a pain really

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I reckon stick the €45,000 on a 10/1 in Tramore this evening and maybe we'll come back a whole lot richer 8)

KillougheyGoBragh
County player

Nice idea Killeagh....lol.
I expect there are many mouths to feed when it comes to Offaly hurling needs.
How many club coaches/trainers have any type of proper coaching training? We need to educate those that are at the coalface not those sitting in an ivory tower. Educate the many not just one.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Surely there will be a break down and record of what is done with the money and if not we should demand such. I'd be worried what the county board will do with the money , I'm sure they have an order in for jackets for themselves already lol

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

it would be great if the 45k was used at grass root level by
ensuring coaches are of a decent standard and are capable of teaching the hurling skills ,
not just shouting orders .
.but most of all fostering a passion and a love for hurling to the kids and ensuring that the kids enjoy the experence .
looking at how our cb works i think kileagh s idea has merit

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

by Jayz, ye are some boyos to turn a positive into a negative!!

KillougheyGoBragh
County player

We hold no monolopy in that respect!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Its good to have investment. Its up to the clubs to make sure that the county board spend it in the correct way.
Any investment in the future is never wasted but its important to get the maximise out of this nvestment.
“Common sense is not so common.”

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Surely be given to Sid and d boys for the great job they've been doing all year.... Actually if they beat Kilkenny next sat I'll give Sid 45k myself :D