Greg Hughes RIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Greg Hughes RIP

Post by DAF »

Offaly football is mourning the death of Greg Hughes (75), a key figure in the county's emergence as a major force in the 1960s.
One of the great full-backs of his era, he played a major role as Offaly won the Leinster championship for the first time in 1960, a title they retained in '61. He added a third Leinster title in 1969.

In 1971 he picked up a fourth Leinster medal and was part of the squad that brought the Sam Maguire Cup to Offaly for the first time.

He won three Railway Cups with Leinster, one as captain. A native of Cloghan, he managed Offaly U-21s to a Leinster title in 1986 and later managed the senior team. He was inducted into the Offaly Hall of Fame in 2010.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 78807.html

Irish Indepenent May 16th 2014

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: Greg Hughes RIP

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Another legend moves on, may he rest in peace.
Remember my father speaking fondly of him as he played alongside him, a very talented player and a decent man.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

From the stories I've heard he was the best full back we ever had ,I could be wrong but did he play and win club football in Meath at some stage ? R.I.P.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Rest in Peace, Greg.

Here's a link to Greg's interview with the Edenderry GAA site from a few years back, which answers Kingscounty's question.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... E1N2YxMWVh

Interviews such as these, and the Faithful Pioneers book are a truly fantastic resource.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

An Offaly Star

Rest In Peace Greg.

I will always remember the 60 Leinster Final, sitting in the Nally, when ye defended with might & main..........

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

If anyone is interested there is a video on youtube of a GAA football skills demo involving Greg from 1961, just type in Basic Gaelic Football Skills 1961