Now is your chance

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Now is your chance

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And there was me expecting an apology from you to the hurlers and footballers for your wild accusation of having their priorities wrong. It’s still not too late, you know . . .

While you are so concerned about Offaly’s younger supporters (and can people please stop calling then ‘kids’, kids are goats), let’s put 1980 into context. Take a boy or girl who is 10 years old now. 1980 is 34 years ago now. I was 10 in 1981. 34 years previous to that was 1947. It formed part of ancient history. The year of the Polo Grounds, WWII had just ended, transatlantic flying was a novelty. Cavan were great, so were Roscommon. But to me in 1981, 1947 might as well have been on another planet. Point is, 1981 is as ancient to the 10 year-olds now as 1947 was to me in 1981. Just photos on a wall.

There presumably were adults from Roscommon and Cavan in 1981 who yearned for 1947, which was 34 years previously, who probably sniffed at 1980 player ‘perks’ players had, like showers in the dressing room, and/or a sandwich and a glass of milk after training, for example. They would have described the 1940s as the glory years for football. But football moved on and left them behind. Sound familiar?

The world moves on. In 1980 music lovers listened to their vinyl collection, about to be gobbled up by the cassette tape. We got a colour television for the first time around about 1980, replacing a black and white set. And we were on a waiting list for a telephone. Younger readers will be astonished to learn that you applied for a telephone and went on a waiting list and got a telephone installed 12 or 18 months later. Like you do for a hip replacement nowadays. “Did ya apply for a phone?” was a common refrain.

Remember the past, by all means, but don’t live in it. And don’t drag down those who are progressive and strive for the best.
Truesupporter wrote:In relation to those who say forget about the 1980's, they were glory days for hurling and football. I advise them to look at the 80 Leinster and 1981 All. Ireland hurling final or 1982 All Ireland Football final on DVD and say it's not important. we were in a recession then,times were tough and yet when we took to the field, pride in the jersey was evident. The kids of today are the stars of tomorrow and when they can't meet their hero's I think that's sad.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

wingback
Junior B

Post by wingback »

Is there any truth in the rumour that the hurlers were never informed of this event?? very bad form from the county board if this is the case!!

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

No truth in the rumour that the players were not told about the open night. Both managers were informed a couple of weeks beforehand and agreed to have players there.

hurler1
Junior C
Club: drumcullen

Post by hurler1 »

In reply to true supporter who must be well in with the county board as he states that the hurlers have got their gear . If he counts getting two training tops as all their gear then he is right, all that gear and training since last November. O and by the way they are just after receiving recovery drinks for the first time this year. :x