Now is your chance

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Now is your chance

Post by Truth as i see it »

I read a notice in the tullamore tribune about two weeks ago that the open night tomorrow night at O' Connor park will also be a chance for supporters to put forward their thoughts on the future of Offaly gaa and the best way to move forward for the county so for everyone on this forum who has complained about what the county board is and isn't doing, now is your chance to let them know what you believe should be done to get Offaly out of the doldrums that it currently resides in

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: Now is your chance

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I dont think its that sort of night? Is it not a meet and greet type thing with the players in advance of the Championship?
More for kids and that.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

The open night in O Connor Park was a great success and thanks to all who made it happen. Very disappointed at the lack of County Hurling players that supported the event as some small fans travelled from long distances to see their hero's. It was lovely to see the kids out on the pitch in the mini blitz and there was a lovely atmosphere. Fair play to the County Football players who did come and they made the kids evening. How can the players of the future meet their hero's if they don't turn up despite the event being organised a couple of weeks ago. Very sad to hear kids ask why there were no county hurling stars there.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Truesupporter wrote:The open night in O Connor Park was a great success and thanks to all who made it happen. Very disappointed at the lack of County Hurling players that supported the event as some small fans travelled from long distances to see their hero's. It was lovely to see the kids out on the pitch in the mini blitz and there was a lovely atmosphere. Fair play to the County Football players who did come and they made the kids evening. How can the players of the future meet their hero's if they don't turn up despite the event being organised a couple of weeks ago. Very sad to hear kids ask why there were no county hurling stars there.
Truesupporter wrote:The open night in O Connor Park was a great success and thanks to all who made it happen. Very disappointed at the lack of County Hurling players that supported the event as some small fans travelled from long distances to see their hero's. It was lovely to see the kids out on the pitch in the mini blitz and there was a lovely atmosphere. Fair play to the County Football players who did come and they made the kids evening. How can the players of the future meet their hero's if they don't turn up despite the event being organised a couple of weeks ago. Very sad to hear kids ask why there were no county hurling stars there.
its not to long ago they as county hurlers weren't let into O'Connor park, so they are to jump so hight when it suits the shambles that is our county board, our football and hurlers have to train in other counties as theres no field in the county for winter training it would answer the county board to sort this mess out.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Very surprised to hear of the poor attendance of our County Senior Hurlers. Rumour has it however, that our County Senior Hurlers have not yet received 2014 Training Gear, Track Suits, etc. If this is true, it would not have been appropriate for these players to have been in attendance. It is the duty of our County Board to have most of our County Senior Panels (football & hurling) present and properly attired on our annual "open-evening".

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

townman wrote:its not to long ago they as county hurlers weren't let into O'Connor park, so they are to jump so hight when it suits the shambles that is our county board.
Jaysus Townman whats this got to do with it? This was simply a night for kids to go meet the players and get a few autographs and it seems most of the hurlers stayed at home. I know I shouldn't be saying this but to be honest a good few of them may as well stay at home on the 7th of June as well because I fear an unmerciful batin is on the cards. Lets hope I'm proved wrong.

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

bracknaghboy wrote:
townman wrote:its not to long ago they as county hurlers weren't let into O'Connor park, so they are to jump so hight when it suits the shambles that is our county board.
Jaysus Townman whats this got to do with it? This was simply a night for kids to go meet the players and get a few autographs and it seems most of the hurlers stayed at home. I know I shouldn't be saying this but to be honest a good few of them may as well stay at home on the 7th of June as well because I fear an unmerciful batin is on the cards. Lets hope I'm proved wrong.
Ah come on Bracknahboy give the hurlers and footballers a break!! :( This is not a professional sport (like soccer) for really these lads are out training all the time either with County and then clubs and if they were at home that night it could be its one of the few nights they have at home - also any who have teaching jobs could have exam students to prepare etc etc

About that remark they should stay at home on the 7th - very unfair to blame the players - its the management who pick the panel !!!!!!!!!

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

There is no truth in the rumour that County Players have no training gear and so were not in a position to be seen in public. The open night rolled out nationally by GAA headquarters and is happening in every county in Ireland this week and it is very disappointing that the hurlers did not participate. I am sick of listening to "reports" that players have not received this year or last years training gear when they have. I am a firm believer that it is not what the players look like but what they do on the field is the most important thing. Ask any of the 1980 players how often they got training gear and they would tell you it was very low on the list of priorities! It is time for the current panel to get priorities right and it doesn't matter where you train, how you look it is what is done on the pitch on match day that is important and so far this year we haven't done much. 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday night would have made a big difference to little kids on Tues night

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Truesupporter wrote:There is no truth in the rumour that County Players have no training gear and so were not in a position to be seen in public. The open night rolled out nationally by GAA headquarters and is happening in every county in Ireland this week and it is very disappointing that the hurlers did not participate. I am sick of listening to "reports" that players have not received this year or last years training gear when they have. I am a firm believer that it is not what the players look like but what they do on the field is the most important thing. Ask any of the 1980 players how often they got training gear and they would tell you it was very low on the list of priorities! It is time for the current panel to get priorities right and it doesn't matter where you train, how you look it is what is done on the pitch on match day that is important and so far this year we haven't done much. 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday night would have made a big difference to little kids on Tues night
I am delighted that our Senior Hurling Panel have received training gear, track suits etc in 2014. The point I was making about 2014 track suits/training gear is that Offaly's Sponsors Carroll Meats are entitled to have our players photographed in 2014 Offaly gear with correct logos etc.
Offaly players must have access to similar training facilities etc as the counties we compete with or we will continue to fall further behind. Hurling has moved on from the 1980s. Players are now expected to be "professional", therefore their training facilities, training gear etc must also be professional.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I think it’s digraceful for someone to come on here and take a wild swipe accusing Offaly players of having their priorities wrong.

I think it is important that Offaly players are well presented when on the playing field and travelling to or from a match, and that they exude a pride to be from Offaly. All the moreso when their opponents will almost certainly be in uniform.

Previously on this forum I used the example of the young Offaly hurlers who arrived at an underage festival in their own clothes and met opponents, each of whom were in uniform. One of the Offaly mentors remarked that his team would have to write ‘Offaly’ across our foreheads with a marker for identification.

Because the pride is slowly draining out of Offaly, and this bullshit that ‘shur subs wore their overcoats back in the day’, ‘no-one ever pulled a hamstring in my day’ and that physical training is for less-natural hurlers and footballers – is a contributory factor. There’s a cnut on the clarehurlersforum today who thinks a hurling challenge between Offaly Seniors and the Clare U21s (without Senior players) would be a “nice tight affair”. Now, yer man’s evidently a gobshyte, but there is a perception nationally that Offaly are a joke who are stuck in the past and that there is no great appetite to progress from this rut.

As for players and their priorities - let’s face it, when you think of the commitment hurlers and footballers put into the game, and their own game (which, remember, is far in excess of the commitment involved 20 years ago, or 40 years go, or 60 year ago), feckitt, no-one is putting in that commitmment for the sake of a complimentary track suit or polo shirt, or an occasional pint, or a shift, that come with being a county player.

Take a look at those players’ faces when they make their championship exit. Tell me then what’s important to them.

Time to quit living in the past. 1980 has nothing to do with it.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

:D
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I think it’s digraceful for someone to come on here and take a wild swipe accusing Offaly players of having their priorities wrong.

I think it is important that Offaly players are well presented when on the playing field and travelling to or from a match, and that they exude a pride to be from Offaly. All the moreso when their opponents will almost certainly be in uniform.

Previously on this forum I used the example of the young Offaly hurlers who arrived at an underage festival in their own clothes and met opponents, each of whom were in uniform. One of the Offaly mentors remarked that his team would have to write ‘Offaly’ across our foreheads with a marker for identification.

Because the pride is slowly draining out of Offaly, and this bullshit that ‘shur subs wore their overcoats back in the day’, ‘no-one ever pulled a hamstring in my day’ and that physical training is for less-natural hurlers and footballers – is a contributory factor. There’s a cnut on the clarehurlersforum today who thinks a hurling challenge between Offaly Seniors and the Clare U21s (without Senior players) would be a “nice tight affair”. Now, yer man’s evidently a gobshyte, but there is a perception nationally that Offaly are a joke who are stuck in the past and that there is no great appetite to progress from this rut.

As for players and their priorities - let’s face it, when you think of the commitment hurlers and footballers put into the game, and their own game (which, remember, is far in excess of the commitment involved 20 years ago, or 40 years go, or 60 year ago), feckitt, no-one is putting in that commitmment for the sake of a complimentary track suit or polo shirt, or an occasional pint, or a shift, that come with being a county player.

Take a look at those players’ faces when they make their championship exit. Tell me then what’s important to them.

Time to quit living in the past. 1980 has nothing to do with it.
This is a great post POTH - yes Offaly is looked at as a joke now - lets rise above this and especially lets move on from the 80's before we in the 2080's those who refuse to move make a list of what the hurlers did in the 80's regarding travelling, training, committment etc and make the same list of what they do today and remember in the 80's those hurlers/footballers were helped with jobs etc. What if anything is done for the current day lads and how many went to College/University in those days and had to study and sit exams in between their training/playing - lets be real !!!!!!!!!!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
i suppose the footballers will win the leinster from division 4, take it you didn't see the offaly Tyrone game in tullamore last year now there was unmerciful batin windows glass house come to mind :roll:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

townman wrote: i suppose the footballers will win the leinster from division 4, take it you didn't see the offaly Tyrone game in tullamore last year now there was unmerciful batin windows glass house come to mind :roll:
I never mentioned the footballers but for what its worth I expect them to be beaten on Sunday week so no glass house involved!
We need to do what we can to keep youngsters interested in hurling and football. If nights like last Tuesday can in any way, shape or form contribute to that then they must be supported, that's why its disappointing that hurlers didn't show up. This was about promoting the games for kids and not about the county board or tracksuits.
I was in Thurles last Sunday and was shocked at the ferocity of both teams. Kilkenny played like mad men for the entire match and are clearly out to prove they are far from finished. Throw home advantage and the sky cameras into the mix and they will be like mad men again in 4 weeks time. We on the other hand seem to slipping further away from the main pack as the years trickle by and now with the current management looking to be the most tactically inept ever seen the only conclusion I can draw is that a heavy defeat is on the cards. I've been proved wrong before and dearly hope I'm wrong again here!

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Could of sworn there was a notice in the tullamore tribune two weeks ago with a quote from Padraig Boland saying the fans would be get to voice their opinion on bringing the county forward, my bad, oh well should have known there was nothing in the works, big surprise there, by the way i agree with POTH, people who go on about the old days don't have one clue about the modern game, (Well hurling at least) ftoo bad the current county board is full of them

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

In relation to those who say forget about the 1980's, they were glory days for hurling and football. I advise them to look at the 80 Leinster and 1981 All. Ireland hurling final or 1982 All Ireland Football final on DVD and say it's not important. we were in a recession then,times were tough and yet when we took to the field, pride in the jersey was evident. The kids of today are the stars of tomorrow and when they can't meet their hero's I think that's sad.