Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2014

Post by puzzled »

Friday night sees the start of the senior championship and I for one cant wait!

Birr v St.Rynaghs at 7pm in Rath Brian Gavin,Rynaghs by 5 or more.
Tullamore v Ballinamere at 7pm in Clara Tony Carroll,Tullamore by 4.
Belmont v Brosna Gaels at 7pm in Kilcormac Paddy Kirwan,Belmont by 6.

Two games on Saturday
Coolderry v Drumcullen at 5.30 in Banagher Ciaran Groome,Coolderry 10+
Seir Kieran v Kilcormac/Killoughey in Banagher at 7 Declan Cooke,draw

One game Sunday
Shinrone v Kinnitty at 6 in Birr Martin Walsh,Shinrone by 7

OffalySorry
Junior B

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2014

Post by OffalySorry »

Birr v Rynaghs - Birr by 2
Tullamore v Ballinamere - Draw
Belmont v Brosna Gaels - Belmont by 7
Clareen v KK - KK by 5
Coolderry v Drumcullen - Coolderry by 15+
Shinrone v Kinnitty - Shinrone by 6

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

SBirr are crippled with injuries..p cleary and m verney and b murphy diffently out.s ryan,r hannify,c o callaghan,e hayes, s lonergan, dd dwane all doubtfull

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Got to see three games over the weekend Birr were very poor against Rynaghs apart from Barry Harding but Rynaghs fully deserved their win.They fought like tigers for every ball and some of their forward movement especially in the first half was very good. Gary Coneely and Stephen Wynne were outstanding for Rynaghs!

Coolderry had plenty in the tank for Drumcullen Brian Carroll was on fire I think he scored 3-09 or more,the only downside for Coolderry was Kevin Bradys Straight Red card for a disgraceful stroke on the head of Drumcullen sub Barry Kinsella with the game well won at the time its hard to know what was going through Bradys mind to do what he did,best for Drumcullen were Podge Guinan and Donal Guinan

Its hard to figure what happened to Clareen in the second half,they hurled the first half like they were the county champions but never hurled the second half at all,kks bench made a huge difference Shane Guinan and Cillian Kiely both played very well when introduced Guinan got a super point as well. When kk decided to hurl Clareen had no answer and its had to see anyone touching kk again this year.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

puzzled wrote:Friday night sees the start of the senior championship and I for one cant wait!

Two games on Saturday

One game Sunday
When is the next round of matches, or is this the last round before the Kilkenny game on June 7th? If the latter, why can't OCB run off the games, more quickly, to avoid the usual October finals.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hurling round 2 is down for the Saturday after the Kilkenny game, ie June 14th.

Football round 2 is on Saturday 24th May, the week after the County footballers play Longford.

Thing is, County footballers who are playing club hurling (Joey O'Connor springs to mind, maybe Joe Maher too?) and vice versa (of which several come to mind - Shane Dooley, Niall Wynne, Ger Healion, Daniel Currams). There are numerous things over which I have issues with the Board, but this isn't one of them.
SearingDrive wrote:When is the next round of matches, or is this the last round before the Kilkenny game on June 7th? If the latter, why can't OCB run off the games, more quickly, to avoid the usual October finals.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

SearingDrive wrote:
puzzled wrote:Friday night sees the start of the senior championship and I for one cant wait!

Two games on Saturday

One game Sunday
When is the next round of matches, or is this the last round before the Kilkenny game on June 7th? If the latter, why can't OCB run off the games, more quickly, to avoid the usual October finals.
So when would you like to see it finished up by?

Players don't mind it spread out really, so long as the county board stick to the plan and don't start throwing out fixtures out of the blue
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Hurling round 2 is down for the Saturday after the Kilkenny game, ie June 14th.

Football round 2 is on Saturday 24th May, the week after the County footballers play Longford.

Thing is, County footballers who are playing club hurling (Joey O'Connor springs to mind, maybe Joe Maher too?) and vice versa (of which several come to mind - Shane Dooley, Niall Wynne, Ger Healion, Daniel Currams). There are numerous things over which I have issues with the Board, but this isn't one of them.
I see no difficulty in the proposed next round of fixtures going ahead. A Player's first allegiance must be to their club & to their fellow club players. If a club is a dual-club, then all its player-members are entitled to play club-hurling & club-football if they wish to do so. County players (football & hurling) should be released to their clubs at least five days prior to their clubs football/hurling championship games. County Players should not have club championship games for 10 days prior to Leinster Senior Championship games. I trust that Offaly Hurlers & Offaly Footballers have been released to their clubs for a minimum of 5 days before their clubs hurling & football championship games.
I also trust that County Players are being released to play with their clubs in most Club League Games in order to help clubs with their championship preparations etc.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

joe bloggs wrote:
SearingDrive wrote:
Just want to avoid long gaps between start and resumption of championships, I'm glad to see games fixed for week after football and hurling teams Leinster championship games. I hope those fixtures aren't cancelled.

Two games on Saturday

One game Sunday
So when would you like to see it finished up by?

Players don't mind it spread out really, so long as the county board stick to the plan and don't start throwing out fixtures out of the blue