Offaly Minor hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Offaly Minor hurling 2014

Post by townman »

just a quick post on the minors whos good win away in carlow last saturday. Joe Erritty and his side now meet laois next on the 26 of April. Cillian Kielty, Hughes, birr pair Talyor and Eoghan Cahill were just a few to stand out. Laois next will be hard beaten they have 10 of last years team that hammering offaly in portlaoise on board this year along with a good under 16 team from last year
be some turn around if we were to defeat laois next day out.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Minor hurling 2014

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I suppose in this day and age any win over Carlow is to be welcomed, and in fairness Offaly were comfortable going into the last ten minutes. So team and management should be applauded on a job well done.

With the wind Offaly opened up a 0-10 to 0-3 lead as half-time approached and a fine goal after 30 minutes was timely. Carlow narrowed the gap to six points with about twenty minutes still to go and it looked like the match would go the distance. Then Carlow stopped scoring, though still doing alot of hurling. The Carlow goalkeeper kept pucking out too far and Craig Taylor mopped up in defence. Offaly closed the game out, something we don’t often see an Offal y team doing, which is positive.

Positives were the liveliness and eagerness to work of Pádraic Guinan at midfield, the tenaciousness of Craig Taylor and Niall Duffy in the full-back line. Danny Spain blocked off the centre well from 6. Ronan Hughes playing like a Galway Minor half-forward, exploiting the gap between half-forward line and full-forward line to pick off four delightful points.

Some things grigged me. The odd fella too inclined to play hickey, and in the wrong place and to the wrong place at that. Stop it! Two Carlow frees, correctly awarded, were moved forward by the referee. Freetaking conversion rate was about 60% at a rough guess. Some careless tackling, arm around the opponent’s shoulder. Offaly should have had a man sent off – number noted, yellow carded later, then crazily clattered an opponent under the dropping ball, which required said player to leave the field. Not enough handpassing. Not enough off the shoulder support play.

The placing of the forwards requires some thought now. Jordan Fogarty is a quality forward but isn’t a centre half-forward and would probably be better utilised at 15, where he can roam. Maybe Cillian Kiely would be a better fit at 11. Oisín Kelly will work all day and might make a good midfield blend with Guinan.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Lets not forget we also had a big win over Carlow last year, but went down easy to Dublin and Laois after. also Cillian Kiely is playing his 4th year minor, he was centre back at 15 years of age in 2011
he is a hurler to look out for but give the lad time, came on for k/k again Oulart in the club last year.

i also think Eoghan Cahill will be 4 years minor was only 15 last year and played in goals for the minors
last year, you be hoping theses lads will come on to be good seniors in the years to come.

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

Don't think this years Laois minors are as strong as last years. We have four lads under age off the starting 15 that played ye last year (Ryan Mullaney, Evan Cuddy, Aidan Corby and John Lennon) compared to Offaly having 9 starters from that day. Throw in a home venue for Offaly and the obvious motivation of not losing 3 years running to the neighbours and I think Laois will be doing very well to get a win here!

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

don't tell them we had a handy win over galway during the week in the last prep game, I expect laois to win by at least 4 points next weekend.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

i taught this was a good win but was disappointed with some of the hurling.

was looking forward to see'n shinrone man jordan fogarthy in action as i had heard a lot about him. somebody in the stand said he normally plays nmidfield and #11 wouldn't suit him. they where 100% correct and management didn't see this for a while.

was very impressed with taylor, hughes and kilmartin. hughes was very impressive and a treat all game. prob should have kept going for goals once or twice. kilmartin stick work and hand passing was excellent. first time i have seen this chap and reminded me of john troy in his days.

i agree with the comments on cillian kiely. shouldn't have stayed on the field and apart from free's was very ppor. he is still the strongest player we have at this grade but just looks on edge all the time.

looking forward to a good game with good weather hopefully in ocp next week!!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

The word is that kiely has trained very little with the minor hurlers and his interest lies with the minor footballers.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Killeighman wrote:The word is that kiely has trained very little with the minor hurlers and his interest lies with the minor footballers.
is he hurt because he didn't get a run again kilkenny maybe they are keeping him for later in the year.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

game again leix 3 o'clock throw in at O'Connor park hope they get a bit of support but i'd say it will be
like every other year :oops:

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

bring hurling back to birr. if this game was in birr there would be a million people their!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

kaiserchief wrote:bring hurling back to birr. if this game was in birr there would be a million people their!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
At least

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:bring hurling back to birr. if this game was in birr there would be a million people their!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
funny fuck.r aren't we

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

If we get a 1000 kaiserchief we will be doing well....while in birr id say we could get 2000 + ah dont worry about it hurling is flying it in offaly sure

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

If we get a 1000 kaiserchief we will be doing well....while in birr id say we could get 2000 + ah dont worry about it hurling is flying it in offaly sure

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

we heard you the first time no need to shout :roll: