Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by Killeighman »

Bit unfair that Clara and Seir Keiran is in Rath i think. Let every player have there day out in the County ground

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Senior semi-finals on Sunday 5th October. St Rynagh's v Clareen at 2.30pm; Coolderry v KIlcormac at 4pm.

The Brosna Gaels v Drumcullen relegation Final is fixed for Moystown at 11.30am on the same morning.

I don't see a problem with the Clareen v Clara Junior semi-final being at a rural venue - Clareen will be in Tullamore the next day for the Senior semi-final anyway.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Senior semi-finals on Sunday 5th October. St Rynagh's v Clareen at 2.30pm; Coolderry v KIlcormac at 4pm.

The Brosna Gaels v Drumcullen relegation Final is fixed for Moystown at 11.30am on the same morning.

I don't see a problem with the Clareen v Clara Junior semi-final being at a rural venue - Clareen will be in Tullamore the next day for the Senior semi-final anyway.
Seir Kieran/Clareen are a lot closer to Rath, than Clara. Mucklagh might be a compomise venue. Or, they could have a weekend in Tullamore, good bonding exercise!!

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
Leinster is set up nicely for Shamrocks. First out of the hat, they are at home all the way up to and including the final. The Kilkenny representatives are on the opposite side of the draw. The Dublin representatives are first (who I think is Clontarf) while the winners are at home to the Carlow representatives (who possibly are Carlow Town). Heads right and injury-free, there is potential for Shamrocks here.
No definitely not Clontarf for Shamrocks. Clontarf or Trinity Gaels will be in the Leinster Junior Special as Dublin Junior A championship representatives (3 teams Marks, Clontarf and Trinity Gaels reached quarter-finals but all lost to Senior clubs 2nd or 3rd teams). So Clara or Killeigh will playing them in that competition.

Shamrocks will play a team from Dublin's intermediate championship. St PEREGRINES I think it will be. Don't know anything about them other than they seem to be in final against St. Vincent's today.

Dublin Senior B winners go into Leinster Intermediate championship with no Offaly reps in that comp.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'm not sure about this. The Leinster GAA site says the Dublin Junior representatives will contest the Leinster Junior championship. It also says the Dublin Senior 'B' or Intermediate representatives will contest the Leinster Intermediate championship. There is no Dublin team in the draw for the Special Junior competition.

This makes a change on recent years. It seems the Dublin winners have won the Special Junior competition in five of the last six years, and so they have been 'regraded' upwards.

The following is unconfirmed but from reading some of the posts on ReservoirDubs, The Dublin Senior 'B' and Intermediate winners play off with each other to see who will hurl in the Leinster Intermediate (which seem to be Setanta or St Peregrine's), while Clontarf will represent Dublin in the Leinster Junior, having beaten St Mark's in a playoff.
Slieve Bloom Man wrote:
Leinster is set up nicely for Shamrocks. First out of the hat, they are at home all the way up to and including the final. The Kilkenny representatives are on the opposite side of the draw. The Dublin representatives are first (who I think is Clontarf) while the winners are at home to the Carlow representatives (who possibly are Carlow Town). Heads right and injury-free, there is potential for Shamrocks here.
No definitely not Clontarf for Shamrocks. Clontarf or Trinity Gaels will be in the Leinster Junior Special as Dublin Junior A championship representatives (3 teams Marks, Clontarf and Trinity Gaels reached quarter-finals but all lost to Senior clubs 2nd or 3rd teams). So Clara or Killeigh will playing them in that competition.

Shamrocks will play a team from Dublin's intermediate championship. St PEREGRINES I think it will be. Don't know anything about them other than they seem to be in final against St. Vincent's today.

Dublin Senior B winners go into Leinster Intermediate championship with no Offaly reps in that comp.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

How is it decided who plays in Leinster Junior special if both Killeigh and Clara exit the championship this weekend?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Killeighman wrote:How is it decided who plays in Leinster Junior special if both Killeigh and Clara exit the championship this weekend?
It happened a few year back with Edenderry and Killeigh, Killeigh beat Edenderry in Gracefield in a play off to see who would represent Offaly in leinster junior competition .

tmorelad
Junior B

Post by tmorelad »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'm not sure about this. The Leinster GAA site says the Dublin Junior representatives will contest the Leinster Junior championship. It also says the Dublin Senior 'B' or Intermediate representatives will contest the Leinster Intermediate championship. There is no Dublin team in the draw for the Special Junior competition.

This makes a change on recent years. It seems the Dublin winners have won the Special Junior competition in five of the last six years, and so they have been 'regraded' upwards.

The following is unconfirmed but from reading some of the posts on ReservoirDubs, The Dublin Senior 'B' and Intermediate winners play off with each other to see who will hurl in the Leinster Intermediate (which seem to be Setanta or St Peregrine's), while Clontarf will represent Dublin in the Leinster Junior, having beaten St Mark's in a playoff.
Slieve Bloom Man wrote:

Offaly intermediate champions play in the leinster junor championship Shamrocks play Clontarf as far as i know

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'm not sure about this. The Leinster GAA site says the Dublin Junior representatives will contest the Leinster Junior championship. It also says the Dublin Senior 'B' or Intermediate representatives will contest the Leinster Intermediate championship. There is no Dublin team in the draw for the Special Junior competition.

Okay I am surprised by that development as I presumed it was the same set-up as for the last few years. Embarrassing really that I don't know as I was Mark's manager this year. After losing our quarter-final replay to Judes we were just told there would be a 3 way play-off between ourselves, Clontarf and Trinity Gaels and I presumed it was for qualification for Leinster Junior Special and not Leinster Junior. Ourselves and Clontarf were drawn out to play first. We lost by a pt but were down to 12 men for most of the 2nd half. Clontarf were not good. I would be surprised if they beat Trinity Gaels who are quite a physical side - don't know why that fixture wasn't played at the weekend. Still I don't believe either team would be a match for Shamrocks -if it is the case that it is Dublin's Jun A reps and not int team - then I would be backing Shamrocks strongly to win.

Shinrone's Willy Comerford was full back for Clontarf the day they played us.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A few thoughts on the semi-finals

Two really attractive Senior semi-finals set to take place on Sunday. Arguably the four best clubs left in the championship set to do battle. A pity the weather is promised to be disagreeable though the absolute hurling purists tell us that such conditions separate the stylists from the mullockers.

Kilcormac-Killoughey v Coolderry

Pressure on Kilcormac-Killoughey. Currently on a record run of straight wins, which means they are coming closer to the hour when fatigue sets in and there is nothing left in the tank. Like the day Coolderry experienced in 2012’s quarter-final. K-K need to defer that for two more hurling hours.

They fielded a depleted defence against Ballinamere, though the fact Ger Healion was togged out and Kevin Grogan came on probably points to those two being available. They will need to be, or at least one of them, which would allow them restire Peter Healion to centre half-back. Brian Leonard’s availability is more uncertain. Brian Leonard’s absence required the breakup of the Killian Leonard / Damien Kilmartin midfield partnership. Still, Cillian Kiely impressed in the middle. The youngster has much pressure to bear given his reputation as a child prodigy; still it was his willingness to work hard that caught the eye against Ballinamere. Presuming Damien Kilmartin will oppose Kevin Brady, Kiely should do reasonably well on David King.

Pressure on Coolderry. Fatigue in 2012; injuries and a plain unsettled buildup last year. This year there are no excuses and the pressure is on Coolderry to at least perform well. Their last really impressive performance was against Gort two and a half years ago. Lose on Sunday and that great day in Limerick slips further into the mists of legend. They won’t lose players to retirements but they really need to win here to regain some momentum. They might well do too, if they can win the K-K puckout (not a given, what with the players K-K will have under the dropping ball), hurl from the front foot, be extremely mobile and score a few goals. They have found goals hard to come by this year, scoring just eight in their six matches – Daniel Currams alone has found the net six times this year.

I wonder would Coolderry be tempted to start Martin Corcoran in attack for the extra physicality he would bring. He’d be needed. Perhaps spring someone like Eoin Ryan later in the game.

All the key matchups point to a K-K win – Conor Mahon v Joe Brady, Daniel Currams v Brendan O’Meara, Damien Kilmartin v Kevin Brady, Peter Geraghty v Brian Kelly should all be expected to swing towards K-K, not to a massive degree but enough tip the scales. Coolderry will look to get Barry Teehan mobile, covering ground and bringing Brian Carroll and the rest into play.

Kilcormac-Killoughey’s last defeat in Offaly came against Coolderry in the 2011 semi-final. 22 matches later and K-K haven’t been beaten since. Coolderry won’t lack conviction but they will probably struggle to win enough of their own puckout. K-K to win, something like 3-13 to 1-13.

St Rynagh’s v Seir Kieran.

In their heyday Seir Kieran established a tradition of being able to beat St Rynagh’s when no-one else could. Those days faded away with the last millennium, but the tradition lives on. The Clareen of the new century beat St Rynagh’s in the 2008 and 2009 U21 semi-finals, while taking the Shannonsiders to a replay in the 2008 Minor ‘A’ semi-final.

St Rynagh’s laid down a marker from the first collision of their quarter-final against Belmont. Colin Egan was a particular target for the big hits. Now, while no-one is suggesting the hits were illegal or anything (Kilkenny don’t stand on ceremony after all, so why should anyone else?). Thing is, have St Rynagh’s shown their hand here? They were always going to beat a Belmont side who had struggled for form all year, so might a longer view have deemed that the powder be kept dry for semi-final Sunday?

We can take it that on Sunday Joseph Bergin will come in for the attention reserved for Colin Egan in the quarter-final. In fairness, no-one is going to allow Bergin do what he likes and then hope to outscore Clareen in a shootout. And Brian Gavin is refereeing, which is significant. If Bergin is to be restricted, can Adrian Hynes, Tom Carroll and James Mulrooney win their own ball and score 0-2 or 0-3 each?

Now, there is much more to Rynagh’s than physicality. Central to their attack is Ger Rafferty. Always a strong, forceful player, the Cloghan man doesn’t just stand at square’s edge and catch dropping balls. Rafferty travels, out to the ’45 and out to the right-hand sideline where he gains possession and looks to take on the opposition full-back. He has scored 4-2 so far this year. Yet, outside of Ger Healion, Éanna Murphy is probably the full-back best equipped to deal with Rafferty.

The imponderables: how will Seir Kieran cope with a roving corner-forward (Joey O’Connor did the last day, making room for Rafferty – or Stephen Quirke may line out on Sunday), who will Rynagh’s pick at centre half-back, and if that person is to be Dermot Shortt, who will be full-back? Seán Dolan? Niall Wynne?

This will go the distance. Final score could be 2-13 to 1-15 or thereabouts. Take your pick as to who’ll win. I’ll hesitantly plump for Clareen.

Relegation Final

Drumcullen haven’t been bad any time I saw them this year. I thought they would go on to beat Belmont when Conor Gath scored that goal. Niall O’Leary looks the part at centre half-back. Brosna Gaels don’t score enough, and don’t score from far enough out. I expect Drumcullen to survive.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Anyone else see that Rynaghs were 11/8 earlier in week to beat Clareen, back to evens, remember thinking it was odd as out of the 4 teams left they had a lower price than Seir Kieran in outrights. This was with one of the big bookmakers too

tmorelad
Junior B

Re: A few thoughts on the semi-finals

Post by tmorelad »

[quote="Plain of the Herbs"]Two really attractive Senior semi-finals set to take place on Sunday. Arguably the four best clubs left in the championship set to do battle. A pity the weather is promised to be disagreeable though the absolute hurling purists tell us that such conditions separate the stylists from the mullockers.

Terrible to be sayin it on a Friday gettin ready to finish up for the week but i can't wait untill sunday i hope the weather doesn't make a f*** of it now :D well wrote POTH

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

good preview of the semi plain of the herbs
i think they 4 best team are there .
they clareen v st rynagh semi is had to call .
clareen struggle when teams run at them as birr did in they second half in the quarter final .
i think st rynagh game plan and better team work may get them over the line.
i expect it to be hard fought , we could see cards. st rynagh to win by 2 points
The other semi final
if k grogan d kilmartain c mahon and d currams hurls to their potental. kk will be had stopped
those 4 guys are class and if coolderry cortail them they will be half way to they county final .
kk feel they have still not got the respect they deserve especially around the [ hurling] end of offaly and i think there will be enough hunger in them to drive on through the fatigue to the final . kk to win by 5 or 6 points

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

good preview of the semi plain of the herbs
i think they 4 best team are there .
they clareen v st rynagh semi is had to call .
clareen struggle when teams run at them as birr did in they second half in the quarter final .
i think st rynagh game plan and better team work may get them over the line.
i expect it to be hard fought , we could see cards. st rynagh to win by 2 points
The other semi final
if k grogan d kilmartain c mahon and d currams hurls to their potental. kk will be had stopped
those 4 guys are class and if coolderry cortail them they will be half way to they county final .
kk feel they have still not got the respect they deserve especially around the [ hurling] end of offaly and i think there will be enough hunger in them to drive on through the fatigue to the final . kk to win by 5 or 6 points

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Great to see Rynaghs been written off in so many circles especially in local media. One expert has backed their opposition in practically every single game this year. Franny Forde has this team the best prepared in years and it wont be Clareen that will stop them thats for sure. Hold Joe Bergin and you hold Clareen. Rafferty will plough through them at his ease and Rynaghs will be back for another county final.