football championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

football championship 2014

Post by mickey »

its that time of year again,the championships are just around the corner,are we in for another surprise?(tullamore senior),also 2 teams to go down,seniors is arguably a 4 horse race clara,tullamore,rhode and edenderry,i dont think rhode will win another championship for some time the golden ere has passed them,same could apply to clara,both teams gave great finals down through the years,the opposite applys to both other teams who have plenty of young talent coming through and should contest many finals in the next 10 or so years.i think its edenderrys this year and to me should be favourites for the championship,i think ken casey is a huge loss for st brigids so im going for both them and st rynaghs to go down
INTERMEDIATE
i think this is a 2 horse race between shamrocks and cappincur,with cappincur to win,but wouldnt rule out durrow or erin rovers
JUNIOR A
always being said but i think its finally daingeans year,they going very well at the moment,ballycommon,clonbullogue,birr and clonmore will have a big say in it to
JUNIOR B
always a tough one to call.i fancy durrow this year,were unlucky last year i think, kk,kinnitty and perhaps clonbullogue who have only come up could all do well to,really cant see a winner outside these teams
JUNIOR C
impossible to call but will go for daingean again in this,outsiders should be walsh island ;)and drumcullen
WHAT DO YE THINK?

True Red
All Star

Re: football championship 2014

Post by True Red »

4 going down this year in Senior?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

My guess for this year:

SENIOR = RHODE

INTERMEDIATE = SHAMROCKS

JUNIOR A = CLONBULLOGE

JUNOR B = CLARA

JUNIOR C = DOON

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

True Red wrote:4 going down this year in Senior?
Yep, Senior B next year. 4 going down from Senior and 4 going up from Intermediate.... Should leave 8 in each of Senior, Senior B and Intermediate

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

What's story with intermediate? 4 down?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Hope this clears things up

http://www.hoganstand.com/offaly/Articl ... ?ID=205517

Major changes to football championships
29 November 2013

The Offaly SFC will be reduced to eight teams in 2015 after radical proposes were accepted by club delegates at last week's county board meeting.

Plans to introduce a new senior 'B' championship, consisting of eight teams, as well as an eight-team IFC in two years' time, were also approved by 33 votes to 16. The alternative structures were put forward by a special committee comprising Joe Higgins (Tubber), Mary Dunne (Ballyfore), Fergal McKeown (Tullamore), Aidan Doyle (Ferbane) and Martin Boland (Raheen).

The committee believes such changes will lead to more competitive championships, and most clubs in Offaly seem to agree if last week's vote is anything to go by.

As things stand, there are 12 teams in the Offaly SFC, but this will be whittled down to eight after four teams (the bottom two in each group) are relegated next year. They will be joined by the four IFC semi-finalists in the new senior 'B' championship.

One team will be relegated to junior from intermediate in 2014, with the remaining seven teams staying in intermediate where they will be joined by the junior champions. The remaining clubs will compete in the junior 'A' and 'B' championships.

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

I'm just looking through the groups, and I noticed junior b group 1 has only 4 teams group 2 has 5 teams.would this mean there actually wouldn't b a quarter final? Top 2 from each group? Also what way does junior c work with 1 group? I think this should be arranged before a ball is kicked.or am I missing something?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

That probably is sorted Mickey, you might have missed that County Board meeting!?

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Who of the winners go into Leinster Club, Senior, Inter & Junior A ??

If so the 8 in Senior B will be at a big disadvantage being excluded...............

I would prefer if what is proposed to be Sen B were titled Inter, Inter be titled Junior A & on down............. Junior Champions would be winners of A, B & C: Semis Jun B v C & Final A v Semi Winners. ( If 4 Juniors A, B.C & D , two semis & Final.)

That would have none excluded from Leinster Club & possibly stronger reps at Inter & Junior

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Obviously, with your proposal the Junior champions would be excluded, as Senior would compete in Senior club, Senior B in Intermediate club, and Intermediate winners would compete in the Junior championship.
Look, our aim should be to improve our championship, and delegates spent more time debating the Leinster representation than the merits of having a Senior B championship in the first place!

Senior B teams have a chance to compete at a high level, and the Intemediate championship has effectively been downgraded to Junior. So at least the Junior winners in Offaly should have a crack at Leinster.
The initial proposal was that Senior B representatives would go into the Intermediate club championship, but I think that has been scrapped.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Obviously, with your proposal the Junior champions would be excluded
Not at all
Junior Champions would be winners of A, B & C: Semis Jun B v C & Final A v Semi Winners. ( If 4 Juniors A, B.C & D , two semis & Final.)That would have none excluded from Leinster Club & possibly stronger reps at Inter & Junior

I would rename

Senior------------- Senior
Sen B------------- Inter
Inter------------- Junior A
Junior A -------- Junior B
Junior B--------- Junior C
Junior C --------- Junior D

Junior Winners of A, B, C & D go into semis & then Junior Final & that winner into Leinster Junior so nobody excluded

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

Junior d football? Sounds very appealing :lol:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

This 'Senior B' doesn't do it for me at all. There should be no 'B' when it comes to Senior or Intermediate. Ryots renaming is spot on. Why oh why did they go with Senior 'B' it just sounds awful. I do agree with the 8 team championships but the 'Senior B' has ruined it for me :?

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Have to agree with both of ye. I think it is step 1 thou and renaming these will be step 2. I also think that the leagues should reflect the championship.

the 8 teams playin senior a should be playin div 1 football.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Any odds available for this years SFC?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything