football championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: football championship 2014

Post by kingscounty »

After watching both semi finals I would have to go with Rhode, they blew Clara away in the first 20 mins and the game was over after that. Edenderry got off to a good start but lost their way and Gracefield got it back to a 2 point game at one stage in the second half . I think Rhode will win quite comfortably they have more scoring forwards a powerful midfield and a defence that won't let much get by them . I can see Edenderry setting up defensively to stop Rhodes forwards and maybe see Mark Young dropping into a sweeper role on the half back line . Rhode to win by 6 or 7 points for me.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Thought Rhode were streets ahead of Clara today....... Going forward Clara offered very little against a hard working Rhode defence who closed off the space easily v a clara team that seemed too slow moving the ball forward and a good few lads were more intent on soloing than moving the ball quickly which killed their space....thought it strange to sub Deehan - fair enough he wasnt at his absolute best but he was crowded out a lot of the time and it was a goal Clara needed and Deehan was more likely to make something happen than a few others that were left on......

Rhode had way more purpose going forward and played the space much better and attacked with a lot more pace.....

The other game - wasnt overly impressed with either team but Edenderry certainly deserved to win.... I'd still fancy Rhode for the final by 4 or 5 points at least!!!! For me, Edenderry's only hope is that it is a dirty day and it turns into a scrap like it did for them v Clara a few years ago...... Hope I am wrong as an Edenderry win after Tullamore last year would really throw more life into what has been a very mediocre championship so far....
jimbob

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

jimbob17 wrote:thought it strange to sub Deehan - fair enough he wasnt at his absolute best but he was crowded out a lot of the time and it was a goal Clara needed and Deehan was more likely to make something happen than a few others that were left on......
Are u serious?, he was lucky not to be sent off before they eventually had the balls to sub him, he was awful, as were Clara in general. His best days are well behind him at this stage.

Rhode by five in the final for me
First ball is when you make your mark

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

Ah lads.edenderry have nothing to loose ere.they have a great record against rhode in finals they are well up for it.the players have being told rhode people are offering 4 to 1 in the final (obviously bull but no harm) Eden derry for me by at least 6 anyone saying different is wrong

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

mickey wrote:Ah lads.edenderry have nothing to loose ere.they have a great record against rhode in finals they are well up for it.the players have being told rhode people are offering 4 to 1 in the final (obviously bull but no harm) Eden derry for me by at least 6 anyone saying different is wrong
I think that you are taking the 'Mickey'

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Rhode for me to, only for Noel Cooney doing Gracefield out of what could have been 2 goals if he let the adavanage rule go it could have been Gracefield not Edenderry in the final. looking at the two games sunday watching Rhode in the first half when the game was there to be won they were streets of head of the other 3 teams that played on sunday, they lost last years final can't see them losing two
Rhode by at least 6 points for me. by the way what age is Noel Cooney must be coming near 70 .

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

Is Dalton injured? Heard anton of sullivan is a doubt

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

mickey wrote:Is Dalton injured? Heard anton of sullivan is a doubt
Don't know if Dalton is injured but Smith played him up a stick the last day. Pender will more than likely pick up Niall Mc so expect Rhode to launch high ball in unless Edenderry bring an extra man back. The thing I liked about Rhode the last day was they didn't depend on Niall, I think he scored 2 points from play but the rest of the forwards worked hard and took some nice points. Anyone know who the ref is ??

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Heard it was Damien Brazil

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I see that TG4 will be broadcasting Sunday's final live, which is good news for armchair fans but certainly not for the coffers of the county board. This will make it a lot easier for fans to stay at home and when we consider that the county took a similar hit last year, I'm more than a little surprised that they were allowed in. There are county football finals on in Sligo, Limerick, Wicklow and probably a few other counties as well this week - admittedly there are no glamour ties in there from a national perspective, but still it's a bit of an odd decision all the same.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Any predictions for the Weekend?

Junior B Final
Clara v Kinnity

Think Kinnity should win this with 4/5 points to spare. Should be in the Junior A grade at least, if they took football serious. Clara I felt were lucky enough to get to the final.

Junior A Final
Clonbullogue v Daingean

As a Clonbullogue man I suppose I will be seeing this with blinkers on, but I think it should be a cracking final. Daingeans third Junior final since 2007. They have been flirting with the Intermediate ranks since then but just never seemed to be able to get over the line. CLonbullogue were unlucky to be relegated last year and have shown that by getting straight back to the Final. Both teams need this as much as the other and I feel the next 5 years of either club is on the line with this match. I have to swing for Clonbullogue but no surprise if Daingean win.

Intermediate Final
Raheen v Shamrocks

Shamrocks are back in the final after losing to KK Last year but they face strong oppostion in Raheen. They more or less walked through Div 2 this year and only lost to bracknagh in championship (in a game that the result didnt matter to raheen). Think Raheen are the more in form team for me anyway. Can see them winning but not by much. Raheen by 2

Senior Final
Edenderry v Rhode

An ''El Classico'' final returns after a long absence. Memories come flooding back of there finals in the late 90's early 00's. Edenderry have been quite enough since their 2011 Senior win but in the meantime they have been developing a lot of their younger players. They have been consitant in the u21 grade reaching a few finals since 2011 and their minors have also reached finals in that time line. Rhode on the other hand got caught on the hop by Tullamore last year. Not taking away from Tullamores win, but Rhode were the form team all championship last year. This year they have been blitzing teams and have seem to be injury free - for the moment. Edenderry have been motoring nicely, winning div 1 this year and been a local derby I can see them winning this. Edenderry by 1
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Lone Shark wrote:I see that TG4 will be broadcasting Sunday's final live, which is good news for armchair fans but certainly not for the coffers of the county board. This will make it a lot easier for fans to stay at home and when we consider that the county took a similar hit last year, I'm more than a little surprised that they were allowed in. There are county football finals on in Sligo, Limerick, Wicklow and probably a few other counties as well this week - admittedly there are no glamour ties in there from a national perspective, but still it's a bit of an odd decision all the same.
A lot of it comes down to production of the show for TG4. The facilities at OCP are really well set up for cameras, presenters and journalists. It definitely has an impact on where they decide to broadcast from. It definitely won't help with numbers in attendance though. If the weather is bad and a neutral is 50/50 about going, the fact that the game is on the box will tip it in the favour of staying home in some instances.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I can see TG4's point all right, particularly on a weekend when the county finals to pick from are somewhat middling to say the least of it. (No offence to Rhode or Edenderry, but neither team has won a Leinster club in their history and we're a division 4 football county). If it was the following week, with county finals down for decision in Mayo, Roscommon, Armagh, Derry, Cork, Kildare, Laois and probably a rake of others too, then it would be different.

However from an Offaly point of view, the story is different. It would have been very fair to make the point that we took the hit on our gate last year, so it's only right that some other county steps up this year. I don't doubt that Rhode and Edenderry people will travel regardless (as will Clonbullogue and Daingean folk) however if I'm a neutral supporter sitting at home, particularly if I'm from anywhere west of Tullamore, it will be a factor in making the decision whether or not to go.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

''El Classico''

I like that :D
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

A massive weekend in the offaly gaa calender with 3 of the major fooball honours been decided on the one weekend.
Junior A :I expect this to be tight , and a good contest between these north offaly neighbours. Alot of history passed between the two , daingean beat clonbollogue in the intermediate final in 02, this wont count for much however on sunday and i wouldnt be atall suprised if it was to finish all square .Altough clonbollogue beat daingean in the group stages earlier in the year its very close to call.

Intermediate:I am going out on a limb here and going to say raheen . They have been there or there abouts for a number of years but there foward line this year looks more threatning than it ever has . if raheen can stop decent supply into nigel dunne and the likes of rigney, crumbie and minor star hyland are firing on all cylinders the geashill side could come out on top by a point or two.

Senior:Edenderry in a final can never be writting off.They will relish the chance to put one over on there gretest rivals but in order for them to achive this they will have to stop niall mcnamee , when hes not playing well rhode look an ordinary enough team . Edenderry will have to try turn this into a dog fight and not allow rhode play free flowing ball , if they manage to do this they have a chace but for me I think rhode will just have to much . Rhode by 4