football championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: football championship 2014

Post by bracknaghboy »

townman wrote: for heavens sake can we not get Martin Boland,Andy Gallagher,Tommy Bryne, and the rest out the fuck and start from fresh and build something for the future.
Yes they can be got out very easily. If all the lads who have been complaining about the county board on here over the last few weeks put their names forward and are nominated and seconded then next time out we could have a new board. They could then attempt to put into play all that gets talked about on here. I'm not being smart or sarcastic here lads but its a simple process.

I eagerly await a rush of news names for the 2015 committee (now I AM being sarcastic :lol: ).

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Getting anybody out of the County Board is not really the solution, I believe, as these individuals have vast experience of how the GAA operates and given the situation we, as a County, find ourselves in it would most likely confound our problems for an even longer time period.
Mistakes are human nature and what may have seemed a good idea, last week, last month or last year, may now look to have entrapped us with little or no prospects of escape with massive debts and little or no room for manoeuvre.
It is also my belief that those who are watching further up the GAA ladder are well aware of the frustration that is been felt at grassroot level in Offaly and last weeks gesture of a €45,000 grant can be seen as an indication that these people are willing to act in order to help Offaly GAA.
We have to look to the County Board to lead us out of this difficult situation and that involves being totally honest with everybody who are putting time and effort into keeping grassroot Gaelic Games alive within an evermore competitive environment.
The GAA is part of the fabric of our everyday lives and has played a pivotal role in fashioning who we are, it has given us the greatest days of our lives and as others on here have pointed out we must look to the positivities.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

"in an attempt to make sure that are prepared correctly for a Senior Football Championship Game."!!!!!! One training session equates to correct preparation, you get your head examined?
Surely preparing for Senior football would entail training, and perhaps entering a team in the league at a start?

Have done more to promote hurling and football than any other club? Ah come on now?

Dan Currams did get plenty of game time that year, he played against Tipp in the qualifier in thurles, but spent a good bit of time injured also.

Conor Mahon would be on the Offaly Senior football team if he gave it a chance.

How was Brian Whelahan going to drop the players for training with the club??? If that was threatened and I doubt it, you better be sure of your facts.

Look KK just about facilitate football, I did not say that Intermediate is more important than Senior, but they were in a situation that was unique, maybe it did affect them, but maybe just they blew a great chance against Buffers, by stopping playing the clever hurling that had gotten them back into that game after an horrendous start.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

On another fact, College finished a few weeks ago.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:On another fact, College finished a few weeks ago.
Work placement runs throughout the summer for some faculties. Look here

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Anyone who ever attended college would know that exams take place in May,
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Toxicity234 wrote:I have to say i agree with Kilcormac Killoughey on this.
They wanted to get all they players together to set up a game plan for an important match. They approached the County Board and The County Board responded like only a Offaly County Board could. They did nothing. but Whelehan responded, he made a point of telling the players that he want everyone at training.
It not hard to figure out what when on here.
It appears that Kilcormac/Killoughey had a minimum of 15 players available and decided not to play a Senior Championship Match in protest at the failure of the Offaly Co Board to release their county players to train with their club. While the majority of GAA Club-Members must have sympathy for Kilcormac/Killoughey, the club took "the law into their own hands" and have now risked their club being suspended.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

In view of the performance of the Offaly Senior Hurling Team against Kilkenny last Saturday, I wonder what benefit of Brian Whelehan having the Kilcormac/Killoughey players train on the Tuesday before their proposed club-football championship game. Surely in hindsight the Offaly County Board should have insisted on release of all players who were members of the Offaly Senior Panel to their clubs if they were dual club players. There should be a clear agreement with All Team Managers, County Board & Clubs that Clubs are given full access to their players for a minimum of 4 days prior to all club-championship games. Offaly Now Needs the Full-Support its Clubs more than ever and it also needs its own County Board & CCC to act at all times in the Best Interest of Offaly Hurling & Football.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Bit of a surprise with Gracefield beating Tullamore apart from that no real surprises over the weekend.

Does anyone know the format for this years intermediate championship, i know previous years the top 4 in the two divisions played off in a quarter final with 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd etc, is it the same this year or is it the top in each group go straight to the semi final and 2nd vs 3rd as the two quarter finals. Important this year to get to semi finals to get up to senior B.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Gracefield put in a good display beating Tullamore by 3-16 to 3-9, with 14 men for most of the second half. One result stands out from the weekend, Clara 6-23, Kilcormac/Killoughey 0-5. What happened KK, did they not show up, surely they are better than that?.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I wasn't at the Clara vs KK game, but my guess is that Kilcormac have thrown their hat at it after feeling hard done by in the previous round. They would have gone into this campaign looking at their three games against Ferbane, Rynaghs and Ballycumber and targeted two wins from those three. Once that prospect was off the table, SFC "B" status for next year was guaranteed. I hope I'm wrong as it would suit Ferbane perfectly if they took points off Ballycumber, but I can't see it happening,I suspect Ballycumber will beat them by five or six and then Rhode will deliver a beating not unlike what they did to Walsh Island last year - if KK field at all for that one.

I was at Rhode vs Ballycumber and Ferbane vs Rynaghs. Taking my own club first, I have to say my hat is tipped to the lads involved - that one took a fair bit of character. It was seriously flawed of course and if the Clara management were in attendance, as I assume they were, they'll have noted with great interest how Rynaghs cut us open for two early goals and picked apart some other aspects of our attacking play in particular. However to come from five points down and score ten times without reply is good going against any opposition, not least against a Rynaghs team that were very competitive and physical. In fairness to the two teams, this game was played with real intensity and it was all the more enjoyable for that, even if the quality level was up and down. For me Shane Nally was the personification of our overall performance - he had a poor start and gave away a lot of possessions, and was generally sub par. Yet he scored three points in succession just before half time and they were utterly crucial - when the need was greatest, he stepped up and delivered the goods. It's looking more and more now like it'll all boil down to a final day showdown with Ballycumber. Win or draw and Ferbane will take third in the group with St Rynaghs sneaking into fourth, but a Ballycumber win will send the three clubs into a round of playoffs, since scoring difference can't be used.

Looking at the longer term view, for me the Rhode vs Ballycumber game was very instructive. For the first fifteen minutes, Niall McNamee was excellent - he kicked a couple of lovely scores, he led the line well and his handpass in the lead up to McPadden's goal was timed immaculately. He found Pauric Sullivan in stride between three defenders and that was the making of the goal. Then for reasons that only Niall himself will know, he went off the boil and for the last forty five minutes he kicked one 20m free and otherwise was out of the game, shooting bad wides and generally taking bad options on the ball.

And as happened in the county final last year, once Niall was out of the game, the rest of the Rhode forward line struggled. They scored 1-4 from the 15th minute onwards, and went twenty minutes without scoring at the start of the second half, kicking nine wides before they finally raised a flag. Pauric Sullivan worked like a demon as he always does and no-one earned a goal more than him, but Niall Darby, Paul McPadden and to a lesser extent Anton Sullivan were all peripheral from that 15 minute mark onwards. I know Rhode people get very upset when they are labelled as a one man team and that is of course an exaggeration, but games like this make for strong evidence all the same.

My understanding is that a decent chunk of money has gone down on Edenderry in the last few weeks, and hence they've been moved into 4/1 second favourites. I'm beginning to suspect that they could be worth a punt, even at that price. They seem to be absolutely motoring.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

What price were the Reds before that?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Around 11/2 or 6/1 a couple of weeks ago I believe, depending on which shop you went into. Of course their big win last Thursday didn't do them any harm either, but before the ball was thrown in against Brigids I was told that a lot of money had gone down on them.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Lone Shark wrote:I wasn't at the Clara vs KK game, but my guess is that Kilcormac have thrown their hat at it after feeling hard done by in the previous round. They would have gone into this campaign looking at their three games against Ferbane, Rynaghs and Ballycumber and targeted two wins from those three. Once that prospect was off the table, SFC "B" status for next year was guaranteed. I hope I'm wrong as it would suit Ferbane perfectly if they took points off Ballycumber, but I can't see it happening,I suspect Ballycumber will beat them by five or six and then Rhode will deliver a beating not unlike what they did to Walsh Island last year - if KK field at all for that one.

I was at Rhode vs Ballycumber and Ferbane vs Rynaghs. Taking my own club first, I have to say my hat is tipped to the lads involved - that one took a fair bit of character. It was seriously flawed of course and if the Clara management were in attendance, as I assume they were, they'll have noted with great interest how Rynaghs cut us open for two early goals and picked apart some other aspects of our attacking play in particular. However to come from five points down and score ten times without reply is good going against any opposition, not least against a Rynaghs team that were very competitive and physical. In fairness to the two teams, this game was played with real intensity and it was all the more enjoyable for that, even if the quality level was up and down. For me Shane Nally was the personification of our overall performance - he had a poor start and gave away a lot of possessions, and was generally sub par. Yet he scored three points in succession just before half time and they were utterly crucial - when the need was greatest, he stepped up and delivered the goods. It's looking more and more now like it'll all boil down to a final day showdown with Ballycumber. Win or draw and Ferbane will take third in the group with St Rynaghs sneaking into fourth, but a Ballycumber win will send the three clubs into a round of playoffs, since scoring difference can't be used.

Looking at the longer term view, for me the Rhode vs Ballycumber game was very instructive. For the first fifteen minutes, Niall McNamee was excellent - he kicked a couple of lovely scores, he led the line well and his handpass in the lead up to McPadden's goal was timed immaculately. He found Pauric Sullivan in stride between three defenders and that was the making of the goal. Then for reasons that only Niall himself will know, he went off the boil and for the last forty five minutes he kicked one 20m free and otherwise was out of the game, shooting bad wides and generally taking bad options on the ball.

And as happened in the county final last year, once Niall was out of the game, the rest of the Rhode forward line struggled. They scored 1-4 from the 15th minute onwards, and went twenty minutes without scoring at the start of the second half, kicking nine wides before they finally raised a flag. Pauric Sullivan worked like a demon as he always does and no-one earned a goal more than him, but Niall Darby, Paul McPadden and to a lesser extent Anton Sullivan were all peripheral from that 15 minute mark onwards. I know Rhode people get very upset when they are labelled as a one man team and that is of course an exaggeration, but games like this make for strong evidence all the same.

My understanding is that a decent chunk of money has gone down on Edenderry in the last few weeks, and hence they've been moved into 4/1 second favourites. I'm beginning to suspect that they could be worth a punt, even at that price. They seem to be absolutely motoring.
Thanks LS, I think you are right about KK footballers, the B championship beckons. Edenderry had a comprehensive win over St. Brigids in Daingean. They led by 1-9 to 0-2 at half time, and dominated throughout. They moved the ball freely, and could have won by more.

Offalyabu
Junior C

Post by Offalyabu »

Could someone please tell me in the event of two or more teams being tied on points in the Senior/ Intermediate/ or Junior championships; is it goal- difference or head-to-head that decides which team gets ahead of the other in their respective group? I have heard contrasting opinions on this!!! Are the official rules of these championships written down online or elsewhere? Ps. Think Clara might win the championship by a whisker!