Offaly v Kerry 12 April Thurles

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Re: Offaly v Kerry 12 April Thurles

Post by durra1 »

Thanks Lad.

Liberal use of 'lad' on my part - maybe you are female!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

can really argue with that team because of all the injuries .looks like we will play k connelly as sweeper with b carroll in mid field. dont know about c slevin and k connelly as a regular midfield partnership . i dont honestly know anything about kerry but hope our lads tear into for the start a good start is half the battle.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

A sweeper against Kerry?????

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

kinnittyman wrote:A sweeper against Kerry?????
This just shows that Brian Whelan hasn't a clue.

Playing forwards at 6&7. Barry Harding arse is just what Ger Loughnane was on about. He is just not fit enough for county hurling.

Slevin didn't even feature the last day.

It is good to see Dooley dropped and Sean Cleary givin a chance at full forward, especially after scoring the equaliser against limerick and two goals against antrim.

I fear that we will be beaten. Has Whelan ever pick the same 15 this year?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Conor Slevin is only there for the puck outs. Dempsey is a far better shot stopper but maybe cleverness at the puck outs is what we need

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Having looked at the team I'm now suddenly worried about this fixture. If we do play a sweeper against Kerry - we might as well forget about it! Would be a complete joke. I still can't believe we played with a sweeper with the wind against Antrim!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Conor Slevin in goals. Slevin is a good goalkeeper but if the management are saying that the lose to antrim was Dempsey fault their joking Because The big problem was Antrim has a better game plan so if you going to drop anyone it should be Brian Whelahan, Ger Couglhan and John Troy.

Full back line is good. Healion for everything he not is still a good full back.

The half back line is shocking. sorry lads Shocking. Colin Egan has potential to be a good centre back but if you going to blood him at centre back you need to have lads that hurl Wing back there to help him. Parlon for everything he can do and he is a good hurler. he just not a good wing back. Sorry but that the true. I know this and most in the country know this.
Harding is a fine hurler but this is complete unfair on him to be throwing into this game as the only natural half back in this half back line.

Midfield Fucking hell. Slevin only coming back from a bad injury, is not fit and they expecting him to running around the whole field, Connolly is a corner forward.Too small and not a good enough tackler for midfield.
Connolly is being fuck around. is not fair on the lad. Kilmartin was fucked around with by this management team and now we in big trouble in this position.
The other thing is moving out Carroll to midfield. We all watch Carroll trying to Play midfield for years and not being able to do it. Carroll is a great corner forward so using him as a midfield or sweeper is thought of a management team that have lost already.
over the league the only partnership that has work for any game was Kilmartin and Ryan and now one injury and the other off the panel.

Our Half forward line is good. No rubbish of putting Bergin at centre forward. Currams is a good hurler and will do ok at no.11. Mahon is fine for wing forward.
But with this management team you have to worry that Mahon being moved to wing forward is a dumb plan so they can take him off after 15 mins to bring on Dooley.

full foward line is good. Now if the full forward line plays as a full forward line that would be even better.

Lyng was right in what he said about us today. Antrim who finish bottom or ourselves should be going down, They should be no play off but he wrong as well ‘couldn't hit the ball out of their way in 1B' after watch us this year we have only being at the standard of a division 2b team if we have played the hurling we played in Division 2a this year we wouldn't have won a game. the only time out standard has rising was against limerick when we went 15 vs 15 with 10 mins to go.

I've said it once and Ill say it again, using the club game as a point of reference for inter county selections is nonsensical. They bear no relation to the other. Just ask Galway
Galway were in an all ireland last years and won a lenister. We have to look to the club hurling we don't have a underage set up to look at. so its Club hurling or nothing.
If we don’t look to club hurling Where do we look?? Do we pick hurler out of our arse like BW has done this year. Hell think about it we started this year with Walkins at centre back ahead The two Healion, Paul Cleary, Shortt, Coughlan, Murphy and Camon(all of these have played centre back for their club last year at some stage). When was the last time Walkins play centre back for Birr. Look at Parlon. When was the last time he play wing back for Coolderry. Has he ever?? Has Connolly ever play in midfield for Coolderry Senior or as a sweeper.
The problem isn’t that we’re looking at club hurling the problem is that we’re not. Well not in a way that make since. We’re have about 12 corners forward in the squad and no wing backs. I’m sorry that is just plain stupid and done get me started on the midfield.

I'm sorry maybe some can explain to me Why in the name of god you wouldn't pick the best corner back, wing back midfield etc playing at club level to to play at county level. now i can take it that the likes of Morkan plays centre back for shirone but that because no one else in the club is a centre back.

The question you should ask is each position on this team filled by the best player in that position in the county and if the answer is no is it fill by the second best or three best.
Parlon wouldn't get into the Coolderry half back line and he 1st choice on the offaly half back line.
Egan wouldn't get into the Belmont half back line and he 1st choce on the offaly half back line.
Slevin and Connolly wouldn't being in the top 8 best midfielder in the county yet they start on Saturday. (again nothing against these lads but this point to a huge problem within Offaly management).

Too many square peg in round hole and management are wondering why the team isn't playing well.
If the management want to sorted this mess out. they need to get down off there all knowing high horse and talk to the players. ask the player where they want to play.

You have to admire the management team for sticking to their guns unfortunate for Offaly hurling they gun are pointing in Offaly hurling direction and not the opposition.
Its Suicide watch for Offaly hurling. sad but true.
This league should have being the rebirth of a new golden age of Offaly hurling but instead we have one foot in the grave and the undertakers are Brian Whelahan, Ger Couglhan and John Troy.

Saturday if we win will be a victory to nothing. If we lose it won't be the player fault it will be the county board and the inexperience management team they appointed that should take the blame.

Imagine a manager saying that the only line that played well was the full back line and he only make two subs . Talking about pointing out the problem with him and his management team.
“Common sense is not so common.”

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Seriously worried, not about Saturday as we will win by a couple of pints, but for the championship because of the type of hurling we are "trying" to hurl and type of teams we are putting out.
playing a sweeper is fine if we a playing a hige pressure high intensity procession game but it looks like we are not fit enough or mobile enough to play this type of game.
ill still be there on Saturday shouting the lads as I fear there will be only 3 competitive games left for Offaly hurlers in 2014 :(

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Shocking team i know players are missing but that 15 is crazy, i come to belive that Sid and Troy haven't seen a game club in offaly or county since they hung up their hurles. Connolly and Slevin midfield good god, whats going on the only time we hurl well was the last 25 minutes again limerick
and that 15 that finish that game were never picked again.

wheres the Gerathys gone to, i though the year started alright with two games in the walsh cup with alot of young players getting a shot but the arse has fell out of it big time, why is Dempsey gone from goal whats the story their Slevin not a bad keeper but i though he was poor again Antrim in tullamore
and doesn't mind the square.

Shane Dooley might not be at full fitness but he would be way more danger in the forwards than Connor Mahon.

Kaiserchief your remark about Harding well what about our number 3 wouldn't say he has a tiny arse would you, and Barry Harding isn't a forward if you seen him hurl over the years it wasn't as a forward :roll: .

anyway team is still poor and i wouldn't be sure of a win if kerry are there or there about for a finish we will be beaten because alot of this team have history of not having the belly for it.

should get the win with luck, but heaven help us when the cats run out again us in june it won't be nice viewing.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman
wont worry about kilkenny in june SID has a plan he will play two sweepers b carroll and k connolly ,
imagine the harm t walsh or p murphy would do if the were the free man .
june is frighting prospect unless thing improve quickly .
in my opinion we need d kenny r hanniffy d morkam s dooley back to full fitness and hope no one else get injured and we get d kilmartain back into midfield to have any chance of avoid a hammering

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Serious reservations over this team selection too.....as another poster summed it up "Too many square pegs in round holes"
jimbob

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

nonsense nonsense nonsense

in sid we trust. that is all.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

so you don't agree with me that kilkenny will give us a bad beating, you as a tipp man
should know first hand about beatings from the cats over the last 4 years league and champo :lol:

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

townman wrote:so you don't agree with me that kilkenny will give us a bad beating, you as a tipp man
should know first hand about beatings from the cats over the last 4 years league and champo :lol:
how well ya didn't make it 5 years townman. 1 senior al (against ur dominatrixes too) 1 u21, 1 minor & 2 intermediate. plus 1 minor football. the county of sid has won....well, what exactly in the same time townman????

playin kk is in the higher reaches not in the boondocks. we have a small matter of playin the ai champions in the league semi sunday week (that'd be Div 1A townman) but ye have a big match today against....well, the old Div 3 champions.

its the stuff of dreams, townman.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Seven points to no score to Kerry, when we play one of the best teams in the country in June that will be game over. 9 points to 4 down now.