Offaly v Kerry 12 April Thurles

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kerry 12 April Thurles

Post by azoffaly »

In fairness re Saturday, the momentum was all with Offaly at that stage. From 7 points down they had won the intervening period by 7 points and had a free in at the time of the sending off. I think we could sense the game had turned, and it wasn't our inside line that was doing the damage. Kerry played with an extra full back, which didn't help much. They needed men out around the two 40s, because that's where our half back line and half forward line were well on top at that stage.

On another note, I don't really understand the sweeper in hurling, especially if you are at even strength, because if you play a sweeper 30 metres out from goals and the opposition deploy their man around midfield, you can score from 70 yards in hurling. I do, believe it or not, understand the concept when you are playing with a breeze behind you. I'm sure it goes along the lines of 'They won't score from 80 yards, and ball will drop in here so we'll sweep up, work it to half way and have a bang for a score from there.' I don't agree with it, but at least I understand why you might think you're being clever with the wind. Kerry did it on Saturday, and we just pucked the ball into his hand for the first 20 minutes. When we had the wind in the second half, they went straight man on man.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:
townman wrote:league over move on put this behind us, well done to Barry Harding shut a few up here with his display. Colin Egan and Quirke also hurl well as did Connolly worked hard Joe Bergin will have to have a look at himself this morning brutal display and didn't want to know about it.
Townman where you even at the game?

Brian Whelan wasn't fair to Conor Slevin to put him in the goals and he not the first choice goalie for the league. Slevin was nervous for the first 10 to 15 mins but did well after this especially picking out players with his puck outs.

Niall Wynne gave an exhibition at #2. Healion and Rigney where very poor. Healion is just not fit enough for county grade. Rigney just had an off day, he wasted ball after ball and ya cant afford to do that playing as the extra man.

Next is the problem line. Colin Egan did ok but only ok. Parlon needs to stop running with the ball and let it into the forwards early. Harding did very well, won a lot of 50/50 ball and his ball striking was excellent. I would still question his fitness and he got burned down the wing 3 times in first 10 mins.

How could Brian Whelan pick Cirain Slevin to play. My granny would have been able to see after 5 mins he was still carrying an injury. Connolly after a while got into the game and his distribution of the ball was good but I would question him at midfield.

Brian Carroll was nowhere to be seen until the last 10 mins. Scored 3 points in a row and the death of the match. Currams by his own standards was average all way through the game and isn't a treat to teams at #11 and would prefer him at #14. Mahon was excellent, scored 2 good points when needed in the first half and set up 2 of the goals.

Bergin was disappointing, didn't look like he wanted to be there at all. Scored 1-2 in the first half but should of had a lot more for the ball that he was getting. Clearly was terrible, should have been taken off before he was sent off. Quirke finished with 2-3 i think, but was handed the 2 goals by Mahon and Currams. He needs to invest in a new pair of boots because he spent most of the 70 mins lying on the ground.

indeed i was at it were you :?: was sitting behind Jim Troy in the stand, you think Colin Egan was just ok. i though he was very good scored a nice point and was on the ball alot, Carroll scored early in the game shot for goal went off the crossbar Bergin scored 1-1 Quirke 2-1 are you sure you were at it. yes Ciaran Slevin was poor but has been in any inter county game he plays not up to it.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

ha townman, is Jim troy like a landmark or something!

have to agree about Slevin. But he shouldn't have been picked because he was no way 100% fit.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:ha townman, is Jim troy like a landmark or something!

have to agree about Slevin. But he shouldn't have been picked because he was no way 100% fit.
Joachim Kelly was also there another landmark :wink: can't understand Slevin getting the nod ahead of the two Gerathys Gary Connelly has left the panel i hear, but sure the only way is up now can't get any lower .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

kaiserchief wrote:ha townman, is Jim troy like a landmark or something!

And you shouldn't pick on him because he has only have two league game in his best position which is half forward. One against Antrim above in belfast last year where he dragged us through when everyone else was falling apart. He took all the long distance free's when Dooley was off form and nail all of them and he also set up almost all our score for play that day. and he should have taking the free against kilkenny
If you wanted to pick on someone from Last Saturday game you could have picked on Joe Bergin who was on the field for longer, much fitter and far more experienced than Slevin and look like a junior hurler but i'm sticking with blaming the management team for sticking corner forward and not full.

Lets give Slevin more than 2 games playing in his best position to see if he can step up. Hell if you look back at young Wynne at Corner back it took him up until the Limerick game that 4 game in a row to become a intercounty corner back and he had played all the Walsh cup games as well so that a total of around 7 games. when has Slevin had 7 games in a row in the Offaly half forward line. Slevin has just not got a good run of games in his best position so it impossible to judge.

And what the story with our Fitness. Looking at the lads on Saturday a lot of them look more unfit than at the start of the league?

Gary Connelly left the Panel a well fuck it lads. Is this Management team on a mission to destroy every good midfielder in the county,
This management team have being an disaster. How these lads are still in the job is testament to the stupidity of the county board.
Brian Whelehan may be the great hurler in the county history but he is the worse manager in this county history and that saying something cause Ollie Baker was muck.

If it wasn't Brian Whelehan the whole county would be call for him to go. at the moment for people i talk to, it only the Birr lads saying that this management team could be up to the task but even they saying it being shocking so far and i have to say that person was hard to find.
The only thing i can get people to agree on at the moment is that the 1st person out the door should be Committee that pick this management, followed by the Chairperson and Vice Chairperson and an Offaly Hurling board should be set up to deal with hurling and appoint hurling mangers from now on.

For those who think this is the bottom of the barrel your so wrong. Kilkenny could inflected the kind of defeat that would scare the young players in this team for the next 10 years and put Offaly hurling back into the dark ages.
this may be the sunset on offaly inter county ambition for a hell of a long time.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think kilkenny gave us that beaten in 2005 toxicity234, not picking on Ciaran Slevin but the two games last year kilkenny, waterford he was very poor and done nothing from play. he was poor enough for k/k last year should have been taking off again Oulart-the-Ballagh. he is a top class free taker but Dooley,Bergin, Carroll, are good to, Carroll was on the frees saturday evening i think the pressure of been captain has got to Bergin, i have heard from a good few people that he lets pressure get to him, yet with the club he gets some wonderful scores in games strange.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:i think kilkenny gave us that beaten in 2005 toxicity234, not picking on Ciaran Slevin but the two games last year kilkenny, waterford he was very poor and done nothing from play. he was poor enough for k/k last year should have been taking off again Oulart-the-Ballagh. he is a top class free taker but Dooley,Bergin, Carroll, are good to, Carroll was on the frees saturday evening i think the pressure of been captain has got to Bergin, i have heard from a good few people that he lets pressure get to him, yet with the club he gets some wonderful scores in games strange.
Yeah townman but he was carrying that injury Like Dooley all last year. i know your not picking on him. but again it point to an overall problem within the county with players being put into different position in every game and not allowed to develop.
This is one of the reason why its important to develop a system that allows the players to come into the team in the same position that they have playing at there club.

Put yourself in the shoes of a 19-21 year old. You just finished a great year at club level. you being brought into the Offaly Senior squad. you preform well in training and you get pick for the team but you have being pick in a position that your not used to playing at club level.

Now instead of just trying to performance to your best in a position you know well and proving to yourself and the management that your up to this level of hurling. you have to think about what you should be doing and nothing take away someone confidence like a mistake and you more likely to make a mistake in a position that you not use to playing in.

As for Bergin its a crisis of confidence. His failed move to centre forward has affect him. Look better at wing forward but moving to corner forward wasn't going to end well. Hopefully we get back a hard working, full flowing (in that order) Bergin for Kilkenny.
“Common sense is not so common.”