selling out to Rupert?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Daleamar
County player

Re: selling out to Rupert?

Post by Daleamar »

first_touch wrote:
blue74 wrote:Kilkenny v Offaly is the first game for Sky!
Whatever about paying in to watch this game I certainly wont be paying to watch it on Sky! As Paul Rouse said on Drivetime this evening this is not just the thin end of the wedge it's a good bit up the wedge. It is extremely concerning that people will be denied watching at least one provincial final free to air this year. The arguments I have heard in favour of this deal are very lame. The strongest argument is the one of broadcasting to other countries thereby promoting the games abroad. But surely an alternative broadcaster could have been found that would show games abroad only.
LOL, Did ya hear the ones from the Joe Duffy show on complaining about it, heard a few on Newstalk (Off the Ball) last night. Hilarious stuff regarding people who wont be able to watch the matches. Massive over reactions.

http://newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/1 ... all_Part_1

Theres the link, around 11 mins. Hilarious stuff.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

The over-reaction to this is ridiculous. Go back 20 years and how many Live matches were being broadcast? Damn few. I reckon most of the complaints now are coming from people who would very rarely bother to go to any of these matches anyway, who are probably not paid-up members of their local GAA club, who just want everything for free.

The GAA Management have made it very clear that they are not making a fortune out of this new deal, only a small bit more than the old RTE / TV3 deal. Most of the TV3 matches were on the same day as an RTE match anyway, so there will probably still be a free live match on RTE most Sundays. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good whinge.

The benefits of the Sky deal far outweigh what is being "lost" at home. The new exposure abroad has incredible potential. Regular viewings in UK and Australia, and highlights programmes too will add so much to the growth of our games.

I will admit to already having a Sky Sports subscription, although I will also admit that it is definitely not for watching the Premier League. I cant watch a full soccer match, the lack of real action and effort is astonishing when you realise how much money is sloshing around in that sport.

What will those viewers think when they see Clare v Tipperary, or Tyrone v Donegal, or even London v Leitrim? They will see more action, running, genuine effort, lads getting hit hard and bouncing back up off the ground looking for a chance to hit back. And it will all finish up with them joining 82,000 fans in Croker twice in September to watch something a spectacle that the FA Cup will never be.

And to think .... it will all start with 15 lads in green, white and gold jerseys swinging sticks with a teams of bumble-bees down in Nowlan Park. The whole of the UK and Australia will be saying to themselves .... so that's why Ireland is coming good at Cricket, it's lucky for us that Shane Dooley and Henry Shefflin don't play between the wickets. :mrgreen:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

I hope this isnt too stupid of a question but why exactly do we need to grow our games in places like Oz? Should the gaa not concentrate on trying to fix problems at home before looking to expand and take over the world? Poor facilities, small clubs dying on their feet due to emigration, the lack of games for the majority of club players during the summer months are some of the big ones that spring to mind. And please dont tell me the sky money will help solve them cause it simply wont happen.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Square Cab wrote:I hope this isnt too stupid of a question but why exactly do we need to grow our games in places like Oz? Should the gaa not concentrate on trying to fix problems at home before looking to expand and take over the world? Poor facilities, small clubs dying on their feet due to emigration, the lack of games for the majority of club players during the summer months are some of the big ones that spring to mind. And please dont tell me the sky money will help solve them cause it simply wont happen.
The biggest crisis facing Ireland as a country is our collective and individual debt levels, and the fact that we grew used to spending more than we can afford every year. However that doesn't mean that you never look at any other issue until "the big one" is resolved. Regardless of what TV deal was agreed, fixture chaos, facilities and playing numbers are all a big problem and there is no easy solution to any of them.

Neither is it the case that the GAA is substantially better off from this deal - but they do have a responsibility to GAA clubs abroad just as much as they do here, and the increased exposure that the games will get abroad now will make it much easier for clubs in places like Australia, America, the UK and Europe to go out and bring in new players who aren't exposed to our games from a young age, as you and I were. How do you sell young kids on GAA in New York or Chicago when they have to pay $20 to watch a game on TV? This deal changes all that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.