Offaly V Antrim part 1

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly V Antrim part 1

Post by Toxicity234 »

Just out of a Meeting and one of the delegates was a former Antrim hurler.
We were chatting about the match on Sunday and he was shocked with Offaly. Not the hurlers but the management.
he said that Antrim for the 1st 20 mins were being destroyed and they management were trying ever change under the sun to get to grip with the game.
After 20 mins they hit a tactic that work for them but he was shocked that Offaly didn't try anything. they had only one plan and he called it a stupid plan.
He said that if Offaly had moved to 15 on 15 after the Antrim goal. he thought that Offaly would have being 7-10 points up at half time. He said that they was space all over the Antrim Full back line but Offaly had only 2 inside.

He said that if that was a club manager in Antrim he be fired before the end of the day for the job he did.
He was over the moon that Antrim are staying up. He also said that he didn't give a shit about the week before result now.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Verney was a great men to get out in front of his man for the ball, unfortunately, he all too often left the ball behind him :( . In fairness to the lad he has been plagued by injuries and its hard to see him coming back at this stage.
Stephen Egan was a good player for a season or so but has disappeared of the radar, hammered with injuries too

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:
townman wrote:
paddy Mullins and Mick Verney :shock: now you are taking the piss.
I think Mullins had a good year for Birr and was effective in the semi final and the final last year. Might be clutching at straws with Verney but we need a fit solid corner back and maybe he is worth a try at 4 again. Maybe not!!

I taught Sid would have lured Hayden in on the panel and got him fit to hurl at wing back or midfield. He is a huge waste of talent.
Paddy Mullins only good game this year was the county final as he was on Ger Healion and was way to fast for him and scored was it 3 or 4 points off him, he was took off again Shinrone in the quarter final
didn't set the world on fire again Rynaghs in the semil, but the lad is young and hopefully will come on a bit more this year.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

townman wrote: Paddy Mullins only good game this year was the county final as he was on Ger Healion and was way to fast for him and scored was it 3 or 4 points off him, he was took off again Shinrone in the quarter final
didn't set the world on fire again Rynaghs in the semil, but the lad is young and hopefully will come on a bit more this year.
Age is just a number. If Whelan has a 2 or 3 year plan. Let's bring in a load of young lads and get them some experience. The likes of Doughan, Mullins, Camon, Kiely, Gearethys, Clearys, Camon, Quirke are all for the future. Lets try get them some action even its it only training games and get some more experience.

Clare at present have a 40 man panel and all 40 are expected to train as hard as one another.
Offaly county board would not have that because they more worried about the books balancing. Why not cancel our players getting training gear and other expenses (driving to training within the county) and put more effort into getting these young lads onto the panel, into the gym and getting them condition.

Clare won with youth and hard work last year. Why cant we? Offaly hurling is not that bad!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Won't be Carlow now. Kerry beat Carlow today, so it is the Kingdom that Offaly will face next week. A day out for the white jerseys.

And for what it's worth, Kerry haven't beaten Offaly since 1957. Kerry have beaten Offaly just twice ever in 19 encounters, 1956 and 1957, while there was one draw in 1964.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Lads my eyes are hurting reading this forum..firstly killeighman..watkins is not "training" with london if ur gonna write something id persume ud do your homework first.im a birr man and townamn ur criticism of verney is ridiclious because he would do as good as job corner back as much as wynne or mcdonald for that matter.it all boils down to tullamore 3rd manager in a row to put in place who has done noting as a manager..wev been going around in circles for 7 years...and the stupid supporter has been blind to whats really going on we beat limerick and put up a couple of performances against galway and we think were making progress.galway had mcintyer in charge another eejet when we competed against them cunnigham came in and got them to an all ireland...so them matches shouldnt be read into.county board is a joke boland should be ran..wev noting coming up 5 years time we will be competing in the christy ring..johnny flatherty director of hurling in the county...he won an all ireland with offaly..but as a coach what did he do???...ah i give up talking about it because it is a lost cause.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

a shock win for kerry today by 3 points a big blow to Carlow hurling maybe they took their eye off the tie and were thinking about offaly. its offaly and kerry so if we dont win this with a few points to spare
well division 2 is the place for us.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

there seem to me to be a view out there especially around birr that there are no hurlers in offaly and that there is notting coming because birr school have very little talent at the moment .
are there not 6 or 7 offaly lads playing with roscrea and there going well .
Did banagher collage win an all ireland in the last few years and didnt coolderry and kk get to two club all irelands . surely there must be hurlers that need to be developed not written off by the likes of d regan
south offaly needs to cop on players dont have to be born in birr to hurl for offaly .
hurling has moved to belmount brosna gales kiluran kileagh and kilcormac killoughey are the new power house in offaly hurling
it my opinion kk could do like st rynagh did when the made the break through go on to domanate hurling for a period .
this happens in most counties new clubs emerge so no point lamenting about the good old days live in the present

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Killeigh and Killurin together at underage are the new up and coming team which was signified by Na Fianna getting minor hurling club of the year last year. After minor they go there seperate ways and they go to there clubs where killeigh are in junior and killurin are holding there own in intermediate. Thats a good crop of players playing below the standard they should be at and offaly hurling wont be benefiting from this. There should be a number of amalgamations for the weaker clubs to contest at intermediate and senior grades. Its the only way that the.standard of hurling will increase within the county.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Can babs and bond explain what he means by blaming tullamore when saying it all boils down to Tullamore in his post of 06/04/2014?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Killeighman wrote:Killeigh and Killurin together at underage are the new up and coming team which was signified by Na Fianna getting minor hurling club of the year last year. After minor they go there seperate ways and they go to there clubs where killeigh are in junior and killurin are holding there own in intermediate. Thats a good crop of players playing below the standard they should be at and offaly hurling wont be benefiting from this. There should be a number of amalgamations for the weaker clubs to contest at intermediate and senior grades. Its the only way that the.standard of hurling will increase within the county.
Ballinamere and Durrow joined up and won the intermediate last year. Ballyskenagh and Killavilla joined up and would be one of the favourites for this year, going forward amalgamations have to happen if a team is to succeed and let the top players play at a higher level.

babsandbond
Senior

Post by babsandbond »

I mean the county board when i say tullamore......there a joke and that has filtered through after bad decisons of managers and hurling coaches at underage

babsandbond
Senior

Post by babsandbond »

sam88885a wrote:there seem to me to be a view out there especially around birr that there are no hurlers in offaly and that there is notting coming because birr school have very little talent at the moment .
Did banagher collage win an all ireland in the last few years and didnt coolderry and kk get to two club all irelands . surely there must be hurlers that need to be developed not written off by the likes of d regan
south offaly needs to cop on players dont have to be born in birr to hurl for offaly .
hurling has moved to belmount brosna gales kiluran kileagh and kilcormac killoughey are the new power house in offaly hurling
it my opinion kk could do like st rynagh did when the made the break through go on to domanate hurling for a period .
this happens in most counties new clubs emerge so no point lamenting about the good old days live in the present
Ur comment seemed to be a sly dig at the birr area...il state the facts...for offaly hurling to be doing well they do have to be doing well in all the schools but most importantly st.brendans because they compete against the best teams and are in the strongest championship...playing st.kiernans dublin colleges and the likes.il give credit to roscrea and banagher but how many hurlers of these teams will make senior level are very little..because its simple its a B all ireland..ur going on saying coolderry and winning all irelands its great for the club but has noting to do with the county...i.e coolderry we havent found one player that wasnt there before they got to the all ireland 3 years ago.so yet again its a ridiclious comment.d regan is been a realist and the truth hurts people

Buck Face
Senior
Club: Mullingar

Post by Buck Face »

Buttons - when you say 'going forward amalgamations have to happen if a team is to succeed' I wonder what do you rate as a success?

If you consider winning championships to be the measure of success then you will find that no matter how many amalgamations we have we will still have the same number of teams 'succeeding'.

However, I do fully agree that we need our top players playing at the highest club levels to improve our standard and I'd be strongly in favour of regional Senior teams made up of Intermediate and Junior clubs but not at the cost of losing clubs to full amalgamations.

It's a system that doesn't seem to do Kerry football any harm anyway.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

babsandbond wrote:
sam88885a wrote:there seem to me to be a view out there especially around birr that there are no hurlers in offaly and that there is notting coming because birr school have very little talent at the moment .
Ur comment seemed to be a sly dig at the birr area...il state the facts...for offaly hurling to be doing well they do have to be doing well in all the schools but most importantly st.brendans because they compete against the best teams and are in the strongest championship...playing st.kiernans dublin colleges and the likes.il give credit to roscrea and banagher but how many hurlers of these teams will make senior level are very little..because its simple its a B all ireland..ur going on saying coolderry and winning all irelands its great for the club but has noting to do with the county...i.e coolderry we havent found one player that wasnt there before they got to the all ireland 3 years ago.so yet again its a ridiclious comment.d regan is been a realist and the truth hurts people
agree with your post, and i will add we won't be strong again untill Birr and Rynagh's are back add in Clareen in that group to. was talking to an ex county footballer from the 80's over the christmas and he said much the same, that untill Ferbane, Walsh Island, Gracefield, are back strong again and winning titles at senior the football will stay in the low divisions and in a way his right we are back in division 4. yes i know there will be many who say we can't live in the past this and that but till them clubs are back strong we won't be back.