Offaly V Antrim part 1

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Offaly V Antrim part 1

Post by Kevin »

DAF wrote:I see Offaly have to play the Division 2A winners which is an absolute joke of a system and is a scandalous way to treat the emerging hurling counties.Its already a joke that the team who finishes bottom of Divsion 1B isn't automatically relegated and that a relegation playoff is even needed but to give the loser of the relegation payoff in 1B a second chance is completely unfair and the teams in 2A should have boycotted the league before it started in order to get this changed.
Too true.

The 2A winner will come in to see that 'justice' is done (from their perspective) as a result of this crazy system.

We better be ready.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kevin wrote:
DAF wrote:I see Offaly have to play the Division 2A winners which is an absolute joke of a system and is a scandalous way to treat the emerging hurling counties.Its already a joke that the team who finishes bottom of Divsion 1B isn't automatically relegated and that a relegation playoff is even needed but to give the loser of the relegation payoff in 1B a second chance is completely unfair and the teams in 2A should have boycotted the league before it started in order to get this changed.
Too true.

The 2A winner will come in to see that 'justice' is done (from their perspective) as a result of this crazy system.

We better be ready.
Agree with above comment about the play off system, complete insult to emerging counties. Offaly should be in Div. 2a, and the champions of that Div. promoted.
Offaly led by 7 points in the first half, with the wind but Antrim scored 1-8 to Offaly's 1-11. Antrim dominated second period, and deservedly won.
On a sad day for Offaly hurling, questions must be asked about management tactics today, playing a sweeper with the wind?. We have one foot in Div. 2a tonight.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

The 2A/1B promotion relegation must be the most unfair decision the gaa ever made.

Cork got automatically promoted from 1b, yet 2A play a final, and then the winners must go on to play the losers of 1b. As far as I know there is no other division with this in place. We should be relegated tonight, plain and simple.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes Sid has to take the hit on this, but the players to, 8 points up at one stage, :?: look hand on heart when i seen the side picked before the game it was a train crash waiting to happen, Kevin Brady, Chris McDonald, Brian Carroll,Connor Mahon, Parlon, have been poor in most games but yet get picked for the biggest game of the league bullshit. as i wrote before i rather lose with a young side than with a side that are losing for years,ie Carroll,Brady,Parlon, why aren't Conneely,the two Gerathys, Sean Cleary Doughan, not on the first 15, i'd tell you the team that beat Antrim last week would have made a better fist of it yesterday than the team that line out :oops:

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Very thoughtful posts by POTH and Suckindesil.

On the game itself, did anyone travel and can they shed more light on the conditions, the use of the sweeper in the first half?

Also Paul Shiels (lining out at 7) seems to have taken the game by the scruff of the neck. I'd be interested to hear how our management deal with counteracting his influence and what if any changes or position switches were made during the game.

One of my big hopes with the BW appointment (and his own stated aim) was the restoration of belief in the players. At 8 points up and all forwards on the score-sheet, things had to have been looking good.

The repercussions and the unfairness on the 2B winners are obvious for all to see. If Carlow can get over Kerry this unfairness in the system combined with MLR's season is likely to make the promotion/relegation match that bit tougher for us.

Offaly face banana skin after losing to Antrim

By John Martin

Antrim 1-18 Offaly 1-14

Offaly’s hurlers are facing a banana skin battle against either Kerry or Carlow as they bid to retain their Division One B status after yesterday’s four-point defeat by Antrim at Ballycastle.

The Leinster side travelled to the Glens as firm favourites to take the honours in yesterday’s Division 1B relegation play-off, but despite an eight-point lead in the first-half, Antrim clawed their way back into the game and deservedly secured Division 1 hurling next year.

The visitors got off to a flying start, Stephen Quirke firing to the net after five minutes. Kevin Brady intercepted an Antrim pass and fired low across the square for Quirke to deflect the sliotar to the Antrim net.

The lively PJ O’Connell replied for the home side but it was the Faithful men who were in control and by the quarter-hour mark all six forwards had scored when Brian Carroll stroked over for a 1-7 to 0-4 lead.

Two Bergin frees extended the lead to eight, before Paul Shiels sparked the Antrim revival, firing over his side’s first score for 16 minutes. The same player then added a superb effort from range before Conor Carson’s goal had Antrim back in the frame, trailing by three, 1-11 to 1-8. Within six minutes of the restart, the sides were level, with Shiels, McManus and Carson all on target. A score for score exchange had the sides level a further twice by the 55 minute mark, but Antrim accounted for five of the final six points to seal the win.

Offaly now face a must-win battle against the winner of the Division 2A final between Carlow and Kerry who meet at Thurles on Sunday.

ANTRIM: C O’Connell; Ciaran Johnson, C McKinley, O McFadden; E Campbell (0-2), N McAuley, P Shiels (0-9, 4f, 0-1 ‘65’); D Hamill, C McCann; C Carson (1-1), M Donnelly, S McAfee; N McManus (0-3, 1f), PJ O’Connell (0-3), Conor Johnson.

Subs: B McFall for S McAfee, N McKenna for C McCann, C Clarke for M Donnelly, D McKernan for C Johnson, J McGreevy for C Clarke.

OFFALY: J Dempsey; N Wynne, G Healion, J Rigney; C Parlon, C Egan, C McDonald; K Brady, T Geraghty; J Bergin (0-5, 4f), C Mahon (0-1), S Dooley (0-1); B Carroll (0-3), D Currams (0-2), S Quirke (1-2).

Subs: S Cleary for K Brady, K Connolly for B Carroll.

Referee: J Owens (Wexford).

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Who is Alan Mullhall's counterpart on the hurling side? I'm involved with football development squads in Tipp (not this year though) and we've played Offaly several times. They appear to be doing good work, and producing good players. They seem to have good financial backing, and a professional set up. That's all important, and probably a better use of money than spending huge on a big name manager who will provide a quick fix for a year or two. However, you need a manager at the other end who can protect these young lads coming through, and protect their confidence by putting them in a professional, competitive set up with all the stuff they expect in terms of conditioning programs, game plans, etc etc. The game plans should be similar to what they've done all the way up, in a joined up, big picture way. I believe in the football, Offaly has a good groundwork done with the development squads, and we need a manager/set up that can turn them into competitive seniors before their confidence gets blown away from shipping heavy beatings against counties they've been beating all the way up. We have the same challenge in Tipperary.

But in hurling, which is the point of this thread, have we even the same groundwork in progress? Who is the Alan Mulhall of the hurling squads? How are they doing? Are they backed financially? I think it sounds like the hurling has problems at the start, middle and end of the conveyor belt. In football, maybe the problems are at the end of it.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I thought Mooney hurled a good bit of ball in those games though? Marking not great at all though.
Kevin Brady is not a good wing back though, and has no pace. I would go with Parlon ahead of him. In the 15min spell v Limerick, Parlon was one of our best performers.

If players are leaving the panel in the numbers that is being reported here then Sid is in a bit of bother. The early optimism has well and truly gone, and it appears that Ger Coughlan and John troy are not much use to him either. We have a fitness coach in joe Quinn that has a big reputation. But intensity levels and maybe tactically we are coming up well short.
I hope that Sid can work a miracle in keeping us up, as he painted a gloomy picture on the Radio (103) this morning. Carlow will be a real tough nut to crack as they will come into that game so eager to build on the league campaign , and MLRs exploits, and right the injustice of the system that requires them to prove that they deserve to be up in 1b.
I have to say though, I am putting much of the blame to yesterday down to the players. We led by 8 points during the first half with all our forwards scoring from play and then the wheels come off. Mgt set up the team tactically well at the start, and maybe didnt react well to Antrims response, but it appeared to me that whatever Sid did on the line, many of the players phoned it in during the second half. Outscored us by 1-14 to 0-05 (only 1 of our points from play)!! :(

I find it hard to have much sympathy for Dooley, Bergin,Mahon, Currams, Quirke, Brady etc, (exempt Dempsey, Healion, Rigs).

However , despite the fact that its harsh on Carlow, (or Kerry), our hurlers have one last chance to redeem the season and offer the younger generation a chance to compete at this level. I would hope that we can summon the passion and pride to deliver safety in 1B, if not , well........... :(

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Whelahan: when it came to the real fight, we didn't want it

In a damning analysis of their relegation play-off display, manager Brian Whelahan says his players weren't up for the fight against Antrim.

The Faithful legend pulled no punches in his assessment of their 1-14 to 1-18 defeat to the Saffrons in Ballycastle yesterday.

"It was a very, very disappointing, I won't even say performance from an Offaly team, very disheartening performance and it's one that I'm very disappointed to be involved with," he told Midlands Sport.

"When it came down to the real fight, when the game was in the balance, Offaly didn't want it today.

"[Antrim] could have won by more 'cos they missed a few frees as well.

"[The full-back line] was the only line that stood up, but after that we lost every other battle on the field. When you are losing in that many positions, I suppose it's going to be inevitable that the opposition will tag on scores.

"I don't know if it was fitness or what, I feel it was fight. It was a question of whether we really wanted to win today and the performance showed that we didn't."

Can his players bounce back from the disappointment against the Division 2A winners?

"It's going to be very hard after a performance like that to see where we can go from here but we'll just have to try and pick it up.

"But make no mistake, we're in the quagmire and it's going to be very hard to get out of it and if we're not very careful we could find ourselves in a very bad situation very, very quickly.

"We're [already] in a bad situation and it's not looking good at the moment."

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Keepers- Dempsey and Slevin are both the best choices in the county

Defenders - Ger healion is 2 stone overweight, Niall Wynne, James Rigney and Mark Egan have had solid campaigns, Dermott Mooney & Cathal Parlon are absolutely useless and still get chances. Mcdonald looks injured. Kenny Hanniffy & Morkan are a massive loss. Played Kellegher for first two games and drops him off the panel. Never played Gardiner or Sean Ryan at wing back at all this year. Colin Egan is not a center back- just hasnt enough hurling. Watkins and Harding just there because they from birr.

Midfielders - We have tried to mix and match different combinations but just hasn't worked. So let go for that has worked. Kilmartin is the best midfielder in the county so I would have tried to match one ok the kk lads with him. SLevin or P Gearrthy would be my choice. Brady & Carroll are not able for that position anymore. Shane Kelly surely worth a try as well Jamie McKeogh of Ballinamere.

Forwards - Mahon is obvious choice for 11. Not the most skillful but is effective and keeps #6 outta the game. Just ask brick walsh and brian hogan how they like him. Bergin is a joke, uncle becomes selector bergin becomes captain and takes free's (converts 60%) and he is great lad. Currams is a goal treat at 14 but the ball goin in is terrible. Quirke is the best #15, should be on the frees also. Sean Cleary and Thomas Gerethy being over looked for some reason. Dooley and his fat arse is a joke. Someone needs to lock the fridge and get him on a diet. Molloy is huge loss at 12. I think Paddy Mullins & David Cox should be in there, both very lively and good finishers.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

It appears that the Offaly County Board were over confident that Offaly would defeat Antrim in the vital play-off last Sunday. A player who lined out for Offaly on Sunday last, played a knock-out Under 21 Football Quarter Final on Friday night. Another member of the Offaly panel played a knock-out Under 21 Hurling Quarter Final on Saturday last. Was this a case of an over-confident County Board or a case of the Fixtures Committee acting in their own interest and NOT in the best interest of Offaly Hurling. Would these players have had to play the games on Friday & Saturday if Offaly footballers were involved in a vital game on Sunday last.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Arra hold on now. So Offaly lost away to Antrim? Wexford beat Antrim by a point up there, Cork beat them by three. Hold onto the knee-jerk reactions. An Antrim win last Sunday was always a live possibility. Antrim were playing the team they love to play above all others (a legacy of guards of honour many years ago, etc). At the moment is seems the Offaly number three jersey is a conveyor belt to a spell on the treatment table.

Were all of ye who are being fierce smart abusing Offaly hurlers actually in Ballycastle on Sunday? Maybe let us know (and I hasten to add I wasn't there meself).

Brian Whelahan's post-match interview seemed to me to be the first step in the motivational battle against Carlow, lack of fight, etc.

(This is entirely different to the long term future of Offaly hurling, which is in serious difficulty.)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

townman wrote: so you can get in Danny Owens or have 15 k/k lads on the panel i have nothing again k/k players who are good champions the last two years, but it will be still the same we don't have the talent in the county to be up at the top table yes we have maybe 3 or 4 that would get on most teams but you need a hell of alot more player to win things, last thing how many of todays squad would have made the 81,85,94,98, teams.................................... :?
I don't think Danny Owens should be manager and have 15 kk lads in there. I agree there are 3 0r 4 good enough to be there. Mahon, Slevin *2, Geretheys *2, Kilmartin & Currams are all good enough to be on the panel.

Will ya come off the 81,85,94,98 band wagon. That is a long time ago now. Even Liverpool where winning back then in them times. Hurling has changed a lot. If you where picking teams of the millennium in the future you will only remember the winners and not the losers ( a bit like Cheltenham)!!

I still think Whelan has both HArding and Watkins in there because their frim Birr. Ryan & Hanniffy for me shoul 5 & 6 on the team everyday. Dylan Hayden. Michael Verney and Paddy Mullins are the only other two players that should be in there from Birr.

My honest opinion is that we have not appointed the right man for the job. Brian has done wonders for only hurling as a player and has gained respect all over the county but just hasn't cut it as a manager. He has been involved with club all over Ireland for the last decade and hasn't won anything. Sometime good players just dont make good managers. He hasn't gained respect from the players ( i think players a problem also, especially with drinkin and actin the maggot off the field) and hasn't improved what was a bad set up under Ollie Baker for the last two years.

The county board, management and players need to sit down and sort their shit out!! I only fear what Killkenny will do to us in June. You will be able to see every little detail on sky sports now!!! :) :(

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:
townman wrote: so you can get in Danny Owens or have 15 k/k lads on the panel i have nothing again k/k players who are good champions the last two years, but it will be still the same we don't have the talent in the county to be up at the top table yes we have maybe 3 or 4 that would get on most teams but you need a hell of alot more player to win things, last thing how many of todays squad would have made the 81,85,94,98, teams.................................... :?
I don't think Danny Owens should be manager and have 15 kk lads in there. I agree there are 3 0r 4 good enough to be there. Mahon, Slevin *2, Geretheys *2, Kilmartin & Currams are all good enough to be on the panel.

Will ya come off the 81,85,94,98 band wagon. That is a long time ago now. Even Liverpool where winning back then in them times. Hurling has changed a lot. If you where picking teams of the millennium in the future you will only remember the winners and not the losers ( a bit like Cheltenham)!!

I still think Whelan has both HArding and Watkins in there because their frim Birr. Ryan & Hanniffy for me shoul 5 & 6 on the team everyday. Dylan Hayden. Michael Verney and Paddy Mullins are the only other two players that should be in there from Birr.

My honest opinion is that we have not appointed the right man for the job. Brian has done wonders for only hurling as a player and has gained respect all over the county but just hasn't cut it as a manager. He has been involved with club all over Ireland for the last decade and hasn't won anything. Sometime good players just dont make good managers. He hasn't gained respect from the players ( i think players a problem also, especially with drinkin and actin the maggot off the field) and hasn't improved what was a bad set up under Ollie Baker for the last two years.

The county board, management and players need to sit down and sort their shit out!! I only fear what Killkenny will do to us in June. You will be able to see every little detail on sky sports now!!! :) :(
paddy Mullins and Mick Verney :shock: now you are taking the piss.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think we're starting to see the line being crossed on slating individual players lately. The tone of the forum has always been one where contributors want to see Offaly do better without getting personal or abusive.

I wouldn't like this place to turn into what Hoganstand was like back when people used to post on it. For anyone who doesn't remember, it was a zoo for people who thought that 5 members of their Junior club team should be nailed on starters for Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

townman wrote:
paddy Mullins and Mick Verney :shock: now you are taking the piss.
I think Mullins had a good year for Birr and was effective in the semi final and the final last year. Might be clutching at straws with Verney but we need a fit solid corner back and maybe he is worth a try at 4 again. Maybe not!!

I taught Sid would have lured Hayden in on the panel and got him fit to hurl at wing back or midfield. He is a huge waste of talent.