Offaly V Antrim part 1

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Offaly V Antrim part 1

Post by townman »

wonder what team will lineout on sunday for this dead rubber game, do we put out a young team or hold our hand till next weekend or do we put out our best 15 and build a team a settle team for the championship hard to know sid says we have a few players hurt from last weekend so who knows.

my opinion put out our best 15 both days, does anyone remember back in the early 90's when we played kilkenny in a challenge match a few weeks before we hurl them in the championship, we put out our best team with Sid and the Dooleys and Pilkingtons playing kilkenny put out there junior team
we won by 2 points and kilkenny were laughing after saying that we would be murder in the championship clash............ offaly later with much the same team hurl kilkenny senior team off the field. so i say show Antrim respect and play our best 15 because the next week in Ballycastle will be a war.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly V Antrim part 1

Post by sam88885a »

i dont think sid can put out his best 15 because r hanniffy d kenny are injured d morkam s dooley g healion are still recovering.
i feel sid has to experement this would be my team
j demsey
n wynne s wynne j rigney
c mcdonald d kilmartain d mooney
c egan s cleary
t geraghty c mahon p geraghty
d currams j bergin s quirke

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The key thing here is to establish what is going to be done with the centre of the defence - the absence of Healion, Hanniffy and of course Kenny leaves a huge gap that genuinely could be filled by anyone. Chris McDonald absolutely has to start, most likely at 3, but I'm not sure what he does for the other position. Kevin Brady could be the safe choice, though you'd wonder if someone like Dermot Mooney or Seán Gardiner might be a more likely long term candidate.

I genuinely don't know what the ideal result here is either. I wouldn't like to lose and kill the little bit of momentum that's there, but you'd be fierce wary of winning handy and then having to travel North next Sunday without that little bit of trepidation to keep you honest.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Aah, do you not remember the Offaly forward who famously took umbridge at being 'rested' for that match against the Kilkenny Juniors and withdrew from the panel for the remainder of the year?
townman wrote:wonder what team will lineout on sunday for this dead rubber game, do we put out a young team or hold our hand till next weekend or do we put out our best 15 and build a team a settle team for the championship hard to know sid says we have a few players hurt from last weekend so who knows.

my opinion put out our best 15 both days, does anyone remember back in the early 90's when we played kilkenny in a challenge match a few weeks before we hurl them in the championship, we put out our best team with Sid and the Dooleys and Pilkingtons playing kilkenny put out there junior team
we won by 2 points and kilkenny were laughing after saying that we would be murder in the championship clash............ offaly later with much the same team hurl kilkenny senior team off the field. so i say show Antrim respect and play our best 15 because the next week in Ballycastle will be a war.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Offaly v Antrim
Conor Slevin
Dermot Mooney
Sean Gardner
James Rigney
Barry Harding
Colin Egan
Mark Egan
Derek Morkan
Kevin Brady
Conor Doughan
Shane Dooley
Ciarán Slevin
Colm Coughlan
Sean Cleary
Stephen Quirke

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Happy with that team to play Antrim in game 1. Sid is right to not play his first choice 15. Good chance for some players on the fringe to make an impression! Shane Dooley needs the match as well to help with fitness and touch!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

look forward to see c egan at centre back and s gardner at full back .
it would great if even one of them nail either spot as it would free r hanniffy for midfield .
fail play sid you have blooded a lot of players this league.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I am really looking forward to seeing how the Offaly full forward like do tomorrow. Bit of youth and pace which could lead to plenty of goals. Also good to see Ciaran Slevin back in the line up. This maybe the perfect game for Conor Doughan and i am hoping he does really well and causes a few selection headaches ahead of next weeks game.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Looking at the team. I guess it means that Barry Walkins, Sean Coughlan, Dermot Shortt, Pat Camon, Dan Kelleher, Stephen Wynne and Damien Egan are not on the panel or injury. That a huge disappointment.

On the Plus side. Gardner. Colin Egan, Morkan. Brady and Ciaran Slevin. all getting a run. I have to say the i'm Very happy to see Colm Coughlan get a run. he a fine hurler.

Tomorrow could tell some more about the squad but Tomorrow mean very little. Next week 303 km away in Ballycastle is the big one.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

thats a mix bag alright, a chance for a few to make a name for themselfs, but next week is the one to win and Sid could be giving a few a rest but i still worry going into April we still don't know our first 15.

but in fairness Sid got the job late plus a squad way way off the pace, and no luck with injuries with
alot of first team players out. anyway will tip in to see how it goes.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:Looking at the team. I guess it means that Barry Walkins, Sean Coughlan, Dermot Shortt, Pat Camon, Dan Kelleher, Stephen Wynne and Damien Egan are not on the panel or injury. That a huge disappointment.

On the Plus side. Gardner. Colin Egan, Morkan. Brady and Ciaran Slevin. all getting a run. I have to say the i'm Very happy to see Colm Coughlan get a run. he a fine hurler.

Tomorrow could tell some more about the squad but Tomorrow mean very little. Next week 303 km away in Ballycastle is the big one.
don't think Pat Camon was in the panel, i myself was wondering where he was as he is well worth a look at and is a fine hurler. its a pity Sean Coughlan,Shortt, didn't get more of a run wheres Connelly and Tommy Carroll are they cut from the panel shame .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i think p camon and d kilmartain are injured . both have played full back and midfield for there clubs so both could have have a big role in offaly s next few years.
d molloy and d kenny are injured .
i heard that t carroll s coughlan and b walkins drop out themselves of the panel and d shortt has emegrated
dont know where s wynne and g conneely but i though both would have got a run if the are fit .

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Yesterdays u21 games would have limited options to a degree and may reason why the likes of Wynne is not listed but great to see Conor Slevin manning the posts.

faithful_82
Junior C

Post by faithful_82 »

Pat Camon was never part of the panel, he turned it down at the start of the year. S Coughlan dropped himself, Watkins has got a job in London so thats why he has gone.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Game time time is now 2:15
“Common sense is not so common.”