Offaly V Antrim part 1

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly V Antrim part 1

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Antrim have announced the following team -

O'Connell;
Johnson, McKinley, McFadden;
Campbell, McAuley, Shiels;
Hamill, McCann;
Carson, Donnelly, McAfee;
McManus, O'Connell, Conor Johnson.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

When the U21 footballers had an overnight for a challenge match in Toome-fucking-Varra in 2012, they'd want to have funded an overnight for this.

I know there is a major development in the pipeline but Casement Park really closed closed? The development hasn't commenced but has the place been demolished, i wonder?
kinnittyman wrote:Left Birr today at 2.30pm. A part of me is quite surprised the county board agreed to fund an overnight trip.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I cant see Derek Molloy coming back just because he lacks the interest in it. Dont be surprised if you dont see him back.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Did many of that Antrim team start last sunday?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I make it four - Donnelly, McCann, O'Connell and McAfee.
Killeighman wrote:Did many of that Antrim team start last sunday?

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Listening to Radio 3 and we're playing a sweeper with the wind!!!!Madness!!! only 2 pts up and it's nearly h-t!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Slieve Bloom Man wrote:Listening to Radio 3 and we're playing a sweeper with the wind!!!!Madness!!! only 2 pts up and it's nearly h-t!
got it on the radio a little late and heard a few references to sweeper. Here I'm thinking this sounds great - we're pulling away against the wind only to find out to my amazement that we were with the wind.

Now its tied with 25 minutes to go.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Not looking good 3 pts down with 5 mins to go. We're in big trouble!!

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Sounds very poor. Out fought, out thought and out hurled. We're in a bad, bad place.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

All over. Bullshit.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

What a disaster for Offaly hurling- losing 1-18 to 1-14. We scored 3 pts in 2nd half- 1 from play. Have 1 last final chance to save this season and the future of Offaly hurling more than likely against Carlow. I wouldn't be overly confident of our chances of surviving- will the game be away or at a neutral venue?

Let's be honest - it's actually an unfair system on 2 A winners and Offaly should be automatically relegated after today. Not our problen for now and we have to do everything to survive.

Still can't understand why Offaly would have played with a sweeper in the first half with the wind. Then didn't play with one against wind in 2nd half! What is going on?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

got what we deserved.

Blame lies at the management team Door. Playing a sweeper with the wind. Stupid,

Going nowhere. To say there Bullshit is an insult to Bullshit.

Jobs was way to early in BW management career. Danny Owens should have being Offaly Manager.

The hurlers are getting punished for the incompetence of the County Board.

BW should get the chop after this league. We were bad under baker but this is complete shit.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

I don't want to seem reactionary, or to be accused of scare-mongering, but today is a very dark day for Offaly hurling. We've fallen out of the top 12 (another chance to come I know, but it's a stupid system that doesn't send the 2A winners straight up) without putting up a big fight.

The tactic of playing a sweeper with the breeze beggers belief, but I don't totally blame the management. There is NO long term plan for the development of hurling in the county, nor has there been under the riegn of countless administrations, and we are seeing the fruits of it at all levels. We have NO U21 manager heading into April, and it's symptomatic of the contempt with which the game is being treated. This slide has been ongoing for over 15 years, and nobody is doing anything about it. Why?

Underage football has seen a measurable increase in standards over the past 5-6 years, due in no small part to the work of Alan Mulhall I believe. Why is there no hurling person in there doing the same job? Other counties have much larger games development personnel numbers, yet we stand by and save money. Why? (And I direct that question to the Treasurer who has managed the finances with an iron-fist for too long now!)

Offaly hurling needs to be saved now, or we might as well throw in the towel. An uprising of the clubs is needed, and I for one will be speaking with my club executive tomorrow night, and encouraging them to instigate a root and branch review of what's going on.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Offaly Hurling & Football RIP

Cause of Death: Incompetent County Board unwilling to provide our players with the proper structures to help them challenge for honours. But at least O'CP looks lovely and might have a couple of games on it during the summer!

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

I see Offaly have to play the Division 2A winners which is an absolute joke of a system and is a scandalous way to treat the emerging hurling counties.Its already a joke that the team who finishes bottom of Divsion 1B isn't automatically relegated and that a relegation playoff is even needed but to give the loser of the relegation payoff in 1B a second chance is completely unfair and the teams in 2A should have boycotted the league before it started in order to get this changed.