Offaly vs Limerick

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly vs Limerick

Post by Lone Shark »

For Offaly to get annoyed by Limerick's delusional attitude would be the equivalent of getting an annoyed at a dog for barking. Limerick have had notions of themselves as an elite county for a long time, despite the fact that those notions certainly aren't merited. In one sense, it's probably a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that if you don't take a step back and have a cold hard appraisal of the situation and see where you really stand, it becomes a lot more likely that you get frustrated by not being able to take your place up with the market leaders and so make rash moves as has happened over the past week.

One could argue that a similar situation is happening regarding Offaly underage - by failing to acknowledge how counties like Laois have overtaken us, or how the game has changed, we're failing to diagnose the situation correctly and thus making it all the harder to take the appropriate remedial action.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly vs Limerick

Post by sam88885a »

i agree with lone shark , there is no point in offaly getting annoyed about limerick attitude . yes they have notions about there place in hurling but they are the munster champions .
i disagree however with lone shark that laois has move ahead of offaly . ok they have beaten us at underage in the last few years but underage can be misleading because your only picking from two or three years .
look at senior club standard where u pick the best players between 18 and 33 year olds . i feel offaly are up there with the best standard at club level but we dont seem to be ever able to get more than 6 or 8 of the best players to hurl for offaly at the same time . if we did we would compete with most teams .
a lot of that in my opinion is down to poor man managment lack of resorces lack of vision by the county board .
which is the best for hurling to be strong at intre county minor level or two have 5 or 6 senior clubs playing to a high standard ?
i feel many of our last leinster minor winning team of 2000 didnt even make it at senior club level.
my point is that even a great county minor player must make it at club level before he can step up to the senior panel .
we have so little work done at 18 that most of our lads are only reaching their potental in their mid 20s 5 years behind everyone else .