Offaly Senior Team Progress

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
lustrum
Junior C

Re: Offaly Senior Team Progress

Post by lustrum »

Lads, this whole topic is a waste of time. Offaly football will continue to regress while the present management are in place. This man is totally out of his depth. Does not have a clue about tactics or training. How he got the job in the first place is a mystery. He is obviously an arrogant man as he has said nothing of any significance to either the supporters club or the press. The way he is treating the supporters by not naming the team until just before the match is disgraceful. I for one and quite a number of people I know have stopped going to games because of this. Whatever hope a team has of developing when they are supported, they have none if the grounds are empty. I don't know this man so I have no axe to grind but it is so obvious he knows nothing about senior county management. I can only hope that some member of the county board will have the courage to stand up and say enough is enough. I hear people speak of Padraig Boland being a great man; well now is the time to show that greatness. Rememember if Offaly sink any lower it will be a long time before any decent player will be bothered with them. They have too many options to be bothered with losers. It's not the eighties, we live in a different era.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Team Progress

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I am inclined to agree with Lustrum. But the problem is bigger that McDonnell, and the players must shoulder some of the blame.

When i look at some of the players on the panel at the moment it doesnt surprise me that we are where we are. I dont mean that with any disrespect to them.
In reality, I would think that there is definitely a gap between what players in Offaly are willing to sacrifice compared to other similar county teams. Also, I can understand that too as it is crazy what is being done today in terms of fitness and general preparation.

The whole thing needs to be examined to see if we could work smarter, for example, smaller group training sessions in Ferbane, Tullamore, Edenderry, or Dublin for guys based up there. Break down geographically to ensure less driving and reduce time demands on players. More intense, shorter sessions.

There are guys posting here asking for all sorts of facilities which is fair, but really we need to look at how we can make it more accessible for our players to train, without eating into their lives completely.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is accessibility of clubs to their players. Squad players are being refused the opportunity to play any games, only train with the county, and county players enjoy going back to their clubs and playing a league game. In fairness, the players confidence and the boost that it gives to the club team can only be good overall.