NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

Post by jimbob17 »

Whats wrong with Killeighman? Can one not express an opinion that is opposite to yours? Why are you so touchy....... Quirke is good yes (at club level) but yet unproven....... maybe let him play a Div 1B league game at least let alone a championship one before we start to proclaim him better than Jack Guiney..... or any inter county player for that reason.....
jimbob

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Hanniffy at no. 6. No rigney on the panel.

Half time offaly 2-8 wexford 1-10. Wexford burst out of the block but offaly fought they way back
Full time: Offaly 2-19 to 2-13

Offaly - J Dempsey; N Wynne, D Kelliher, B Watkins; S Gardner, R Hanniffy, D Mooney; D Kilmartin, S Ryan; S Cleary, J Bergin (1-3f), C Mahon (1-2); B Carroll (0-7, 3f), D Currams, S Quirke (0-1). Subs: C McDonald for Kelliher, T Geraghty for Cleary, D Egan for Wynne, S Dooley for Quirke.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I have my tickets booked to go to london for next years Division 2A fixture. Looking forward to it

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

To get relegated to Division 2A we would have to lose a relegation playoff to most probably Antrim AND a relegation playoff to the winners of 2A which will probably be Carlow. It couldn't happen could it???

offaly98
Junior C
Club: ryhnaghs

Post by offaly98 »

i reckon it definetly could happen kinnityman unless he starts hurling players that are fit to hurl at intercounty level, and leave the junior standard players at home where they belong.. and when i say junior standard players, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the players in which im talking about....

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

kinnittyman wrote:To get relegated to Division 2A we would have to lose a relegation playoff to most probably Antrim AND a relegation playoff to the winners of 2A which will probably be Carlow. It couldn't happen could it???
Would like to think it wouldn't happen Kinnittyman but this team is not in a good place right now. In all likelihood we will face Antrim in the last round in a dead rubber game and then face them again the following weekend with the loser to play the 2A winners. Really I think the bottom team in 1B should should face the relegation game, can't see the point in the 5th team being dragged into it.

The optimistic among us will hope for Antrim to defeat Laois and a near full strength Offaly to catch Limerick on the hop in Tullamore which would leave ourselves and Antrim in a shootout in the last round for the 4th quarter final spot.
Bottom line as I see it is we will get two chances to survive, one against Antrim and one against Carlow or Kerry and if we were to lose both of these games well we may as well pack it in.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Disappointing to lose especially when we were still winning with 15 mins to go. I think its Cork away next so it will be hard to see us get a result down there, the Limerick game at home is vital in terms of our group standing but also it would give a much needed lift to this bunch of players who badly need it before championship rolls around.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Disappointing to lose especially when we were still winning with 15 mins to go. I think its Cork away next so it will be hard to see us get a result down there, the Limerick game at home is vital in terms of our group standing but also it would give a much needed lift to this bunch of players who badly need it before championship rolls around.
Agree about the Cork game. The 2 home games v Limerick and Dublin, are now must win games, but nothing is certain. If Offaly were relegated, would Brian Whelehan' position be untenable?.
I hope we do manage to survive in1B.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

dont panic lads yet
at least we were in the game today with 15 minutes to go .
fitness will improve we are a few week behind everyone else in fitness i think
there are 4 first choise defenders to come back 5 if d horan is around .
i think if we only beat antrim we stay up .
i was not at the game but from the radio c mahon seemed to have a great game and his cousin d kilmartain had a huge game for the first hour in midfield . d currams r hanniffy and s ryan were back today and s dooley came on . its great to see these guys getting game time because these lads will be the core of our team .we need d kenny g healion d morkam and j rigney back in our defence . joe bergin seemed to go missing again today for long periods his a great talent but we need him to hurl for the full game .our defence seems to struggle when teams run that them
fulback seem to be a problem without d kenny.
should we experement with some one try to mold a replacement for kenny .
where has c egan and d molloy p camon e murphy g conneely gone?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No.
SearingDrive wrote:If Offaly were relegated, would Brian Whelehan' position be untenable?.
I hope we do manage to survive in1B.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I’m far from a rocket scientist and I don’t know who you mean by ‘Junior’ players. Unless you are a South Offaly hurling snob who is horrified at the thought of players from so-called football areas like Kilcormac and Belmont playing hurling for Offaly.

Give your opinion by all means, and your opinion stinks incidentally, but I’m not having such ridiculous comments about hurlers who are trying hard going unchecked. Very brave of you, hiding behind anonymity. Offaly98. You'd have been a great man to have in 1798.
offaly98 wrote:i reckon it definetly could happen kinnityman unless he starts hurling players that are fit to hurl at intercounty level, and leave the junior standard players at home where they belong.. and when i say junior standard players, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the players in which im talking about....

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Lets Start with the Good this week. Dempsey, Gardiner, Kilmartin, Ryan, Mahon, Quirke, Curims and Carroll.

Now the Bad. Our half back line playing as midfielder and giving no Protection to the full back line. How Rory hasn't Figured out how to play Centre Back after playing the position for 10 year is shocking. In fairness to the lad he is a great hurler but as a centre back he is poor. His Skill and reading of the game sometime cover the fact that he can't defend, Can't hold the middle and spend too much time in midfield for a centre back. Thank god Kilmartin was on the field to day. he got in beside Rory and did half the work today. Rory with the ball in hand and loose ball was excellent today.
Listen the best way to describe rory is that he is has the skill of zinedine zidane but we're playing him as a Centre back. Both Zidane and Rory reading of the game is excellent there use of the ball is excellent but there defense position is poor and they somehow always end up in midfield even when they are centre half. Why because that there natural position. 10 years ago someone need to sit Rory down and write out what a centre back need to do and top of that list would be defend and second would be protected the full back line. This conversation need to be done with Mooney today if we want him to progress into a good half back.

This leads us to our management. The team was better today but that not an achievement. our subs bench today was mad. Only two defenders on the bench, Brady and Mcdonald. i know some will say that Damien Egan is a defender but to me he does his best work in the half forwards. This might explain how Walkins stayed on the field.

If you look at our subs when the game was going away from us. we were losing the battle in the half forward line. Apart for Mahon. So they moved mahon to full forward. :shock: Left Bergin in the half forward line when his legs were gone and brought in Thomas Geraghty a corner forward into wing forward. took off Quirke and brought in Dooley even though there was no ball going into our full forward line.
Our Midfielder was outstanding today they cover so much ground between the full back line and the full forward line it was breath taking but after 55 mins both were out on there feet. both need to come off.
i don't know what Walkins has to do to be taking off. Wynne was under pressure but was doing ok. Walkins was Not. He was all over the place. I felt sorry for the lad he was so far out of his depth at corner back.

In fairness we lost this game in the first 20 mins. give away 1-7 against the wind. your never going to win a game and let a team get 7 point ahead when you have the wind.

Cork in two week is a game we can win. Rigney into corner back, a defender into centre back and mahon into centre forward will give this team a great chance to turn over the rebels.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Poor Thomas Geraghty. None of this morning's three broadsheet papers record the fact that he made an appearance. Careless.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Poor Thomas Geraghty. None of this morning's three broadsheet papers record the fact that he made an appearance. Careless.
Presumably that's a sign that the same reporter wrote all three pieces.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Not necessarily. Reporters can be ovine often enough. Item: Dermot Mooney being credited with a goal he never scored at allin Tellamore last week in more than one paper.
Lone Shark wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Poor Thomas Geraghty. None of this morning's three broadsheet papers record the fact that he made an appearance. Careless.
Presumably that's a sign that the same reporter wrote all three pieces.