NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
This Year's Model
Junior B

Re: NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

Post by This Year's Model »

Player ratings are usually a good laugh. The Indo gave Jack Guiney 8/10 when he probably had his worst game ever and missed some crazy frees when we desperately needed them, including one 30 yards out in front of goal.

Wexford seem to have some useful forwards now, the oldest of whom is 23. After 13 minutes all six forwards were on the score-sheet, which must be some kind of record - certainly for Wexford anyway ...

Offaly looked like they might be blown away after the first quarter but recovered well. When WX played good low ball in front of the forwards and into the corners, OY struggled badly with the pace of the WX forwards. Dan Currams used his strength well to lead the revival and the two goals were well-worked. Matthew O'Hanlon is a big strong lad but he couldn't hold Currams.

The second Wexford goal was a hammer-blow to Offaly who had done well to hold the lead for so long into the second half, and then the 3/4 points straight afterwards ended the contest. The wind definitely picked up considerably in the second half which was probably the final nail for Offaly.

I thought Sean Ryan made a big difference in the middle for OY and got through a lot of ball, though he looks like another that might have caught Ger Loughnane's attention .... I reckon Harry Kehoe was the best of the midfielders though.

Having seen Offaly's first two games, their touch was inferior in both, but it was better yesterday. Still they struggled to get the ball up to clear their own lines in the second half though the WX forwards hassled well.

So worrying times for Offaly, but too early for despondency. Wexford seem to be coming on nicely, though the trip to the Gaelic Grounds will tell a lot.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

There's no doubt it's been a disappointing start to the league campaign, as Laois and Wexford are two teams that Offaly can always realistically hope to beat. That said, both Counties have done better work at all levels over the past 8-10 years than we have, so it would be unfair on both to say they don't deserve to beat us. Personally, I'll be happy if we stay in the division and find 2 to 3 hurlers that will be capable of lining out in championship.

For me, the reality is that we are currently fielding with 4 or 5 players who will never be capable of playing inter-county senior, and are probably only average club players. I wouldn't be so disrespectful as to name them, as I greatly appreciate the efforts they are making in the name of Offaly hurling, but I feel that is where we are with all the major players we have on the sidelines.

With regard to management, I think we saw that they were a little sharper yesterday thatn they were in making decisions during the Laois gamee. There were still a few decisions I would question, but it's a game of opinions and i'd be happy enough that they'll be much more with the pace come championship.

Positives from the game for me were the midfield pairing, who I like the look of, and Mahon and Currams starting to look like they can hurl consistently well at this level.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

On the up side stephen quirke got the best point of the game from out on the sideline

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Killeighman wrote:On the up side stephen quirke got the best point of the game from out on the sideline
Offaly in Trouble at Midfield & Half-Forward Line. Management respond by taking off the Corner-Forward. Both Midfielders & our Centre-Forward were under severe pressure. No point having substitute midfielders if you dont use them when clearly required. Last Sunday, when Brian Cody made changes at the interval "names did not count" Poor-Performance" did and he replaced Tommy Walsh & Brian Hogan. Kilkenny turned that game around in the second half due to the intervention of Brian Cody & his selectors at half-time.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Sorry. I forgot to mention one thing.
Birr Gaa Ground is a palace compared to New Ross.
The pitch was a mess. There a fucking hill in the middle of it and a hold down in one corner
And as for the stand, i wouldn't have put calf's into it.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It should be pointed out that Wexford Park is currently having work done and is out of action - hence the move to New Ross. I'm pretty confident that this move wouldn't be sanctioned by Central Council otherwise.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Wexford Park need a lot of work done. The last time i was there it was falling apart. Lets hope they get it done fast cause i don't like the thought of going back to New Ross.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

didnt get to sundays game as i was out of the country, but watching bits on tg4 last night and reports
on the game it looks like our big problem is our fitness levels. but that can be look after.ithink if that side with maybe Rigney there as well could have got a result again laois, as i said we have to give the new players and backroom team 2 years for this to work.

lets used the last 3 games to get abit of a run together beforethe championship. and a settle side with Dooley and a few more back. i think we should wait and judge this offaly side when we have our best side out and fit.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

And as for the stand, i wouldn't have put calf's into it.
classic :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

SearingDrive wrote:
kingscounty wrote:Disappointing to lose especially when we were still winning with 15 mins to go. I think its Cork away next so it will be hard to see us get a result down there, the Limerick game at home is vital in terms of our group standing but also it would give a much needed lift to this bunch of players who badly need it before championship rolls around.
Agree about the Cork game. The 2 home games v Limerick and Dublin, are now must win games, but nothing is certain. If Offaly were relegated, would Brian Whelehan' position be untenable?.
I hope we do manage to survive in1B.
Sorry, that should read Antrim, not Dublin.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

after the first two games of the league its clear offaly are behind on fitness hopefull that will be corrected over the next few months .
offaly seen to me to be have no other steady full back if d kenny didnt make it back for the summer .
we also have a big problem at centre back with g healion our only option .
r hanniffy is a fine hurler midfield is his place as last years county final proved hanniffy could not handle c mahon s power and work rate . c mahon has to be centre forward its a no brainer and bergin should be at full forward .
i feel offaly could start r hanniffy at corner forward but use him as a third midfielder .
centre backs need to be the bouncer at the front door like hubert rigney was .
full back needs to be steady as a big oak like k kinahan was.
teams seem to be able to run straight through the middle of offaly now . all good team have a solid core even kk had the twin healions and built there team from there .
i think b whelahan will have to develope players for both centre back and full back because p cleary is the only cover and he not on this years panel i think . players like s coughlan d shortt or maybe c egan .

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Fitness levels appear to be a bit off what's needed at county level. I have a feeling too much time is being spend in the gym working with weights. It has a part in preparation but the foundations are the hard work done on the pitch running with and without a ball.

Just to pick up on a few talking points and throw in my opinion for what its worth:

Conor Mahon - Has an important role. No question about it, he is not a slick stick man. A lot of average club players would have better skills but and this is important, he uses what he has well. He is a big strong athletic player. No unnecessary bulk but strong and very awkward. A complete nuasance. For a tall player he can move. A lot of Offaly's big men in recent years just could not move. He can. And with the right guidance he can be very effective around 11 or in midfield. But guidance is important.

Rory Hanniffy- Super hurler. One of the finest pure hurlers in the province. No, centre back is not his spot. I remember him as a minor and he was outstanding at full forward. He would be a fine addition to the attack but midfield is possibly his spot. He is such a good hurler I would say he does a decent job anywhere he is put. But we need him where he can really take control and be comfortable. Unfortunately our only real number 6 is David Kenny and unfortunately he is needed at full back.There lies the problem.

Joe Bergin- Has to be full forward.

Any update on Derek Molloy? He is surely well on his way to recovery and should be ready for championship? Another player in the same mould as Mahon who has something to offer.

I personally think some of the younger lads are not ready for this level yet. See how they go at under 21 and fitzgibbon level. If they can prove themselves there first then and only then can they be seriously considered.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i agree with u timber i think most of the young lads are not ready for senior intre county hurling yet .
starting 6 young lads against laoise was unfair to them , there are enough lads over 23 around to put out a strong team and break these young lads in slowly .
rember k martain and k kinahan really only made it at senior level when the were 23 and h rigney was 23 when he became centre back on that great team .
lads need time to develope and if they only make it at 22 or 23 they still have a 8 years at the top whereas if the start at 19 by the time the reach 25 there burnt out when the should be only at the best , at 25 there men at 21 there boys

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Beat Portumna by 1.20 to 2.14 on Saturday in Birr.

Heard that they had a full team out bar Joe Bergin & Dan Currams and Rory Hanniffy lined out at full back.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

1. Conor Clancy
2. Niall Wynee
3. Rory Hanniffy
4. Stephen Wynne
5. Dermot Mooney
6. Ger Healion
7. Cathal Parlon
8. Mark Egan
9. Damien Kilmartin
10. Colin Egan
11. Conor Mahon
12. Peter Geraghty
13. Brian Carroll
14. Shane Dooley
15. Steven Quirke

First Half Scores: Shane Dooley 1-7 (0-6f), Brian Carroll 0-02, Steven Quirke 0-02, Conor Mahon 0-01, Dermot Mooney 0-01.

I stopped caring at half time.