NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

But why Kinnittyman?

Hape of subs at that stage?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

kinnittyman wrote:1. Conor Clancy
2. Niall Wynee
3. Rory Hanniffy
4. Stephen Wynne
5. Dermot Mooney
6. Ger Healion
7. Cathal Parlon
8. Mark Egan
9. Damien Kilmartin
10. Colin Egan
11. Conor Mahon
12. Peter Geraghty
13. Brian Carroll
14. Shane Dooley
15. Steven Quirke

First Half Scores: Shane Dooley 1-7 (0-6f), Brian Carroll 0-02, Steven Quirke 0-02, Conor Mahon 0-01, Dermot Mooney 0-01.

I stopped caring at half time.
Great to hear that Conor Clancy is on the Senior Hurling Panel. He is the best young keeper in the County.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the only thing is its not goalkeepers we need, but good to see Clancy on board, i see Cathal Parlon
back on the halfback line have we learned nothing , steve Wynne back in corner back was there before plus he was in the forward line a few seasons ago. Hanniffy at fullback i rather he went to number 6 with Healion at fullback.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

townman wrote:the only thing is its not goalkeepers we need, but good to see Clancy on board, i see Cathal Parlon
back on the halfback line have we learned nothing , steve Wynne back in corner back was there before plus he was in the forward line a few seasons ago. Hanniffy at fullback i rather he went to number 6 with Healion at fullback.
I totally agree with your statement. Dempsey is the best goalie around an is certainly first choice but we need rotation system for league and challenge matches to give Clancy time in the goal just in case Dempsey got injured.
Rory Hanniffy at full back is a joke, I know Kenny is injured at present but playing a player with his experience out of position is just pure stupid.
How many chances is Cathal Parlon going to get. He he an excellent club player and has all the bells and whistles when marking a weaker player but at this level there are very few weak players and he just can't make it.
Healion at full back is a liability in county hurler, he is just too slow and I think center back is the place for him. Its good to see Mahon playing at 11, which is his best position.
The cork match will be interesting. Our back line have been destroyed by both Laois and Wexford so far so I can only imagine what Corks forwards especially Horgan will do.

Starting 15 for Cork: ( based on the two league games and challenge game)
1. James Dempsey
2.Stephen Wynne
3. Chris McDonald
4.James Rigney
5. Mark Egan
6.Ger Healion
7.Rory Hanniffy
8.Brian Carroll
9.Damien Kilmartin
10.Colin Egan
11.Conor Mahon
12.Joe Bergin
13.Stephen Quirke
14. Dan Currams
15. Shane Dooley

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote: i see Cathal Parlon back on the halfback line have we learned nothing ,
Spot on Parlon is a half forwad and nothing else. he a good half forward at times.
townman wrote:steve Wynne back in corner back was there before plus he was in the forward line a few seasons ago.
Wynne did good at corner back a few year ago but was discarded because our centre back couldn't defend. that wasn't Wynne fault but it was wynne that got the chop.
townman wrote: Hanniffy at fullback i rather he went to number 6 with Healion at fullback.
And Hanniffy was the Centre back that can't defend. Listen Hanniffy is best hurler in the county but at centre back he a average at best. He doesn't see danger, He spend most of the time in the midfield and not doing his job.
Watching Hanniffy play Centre Back its like watching a Alfred Hitchcock movie. Great fun to watch but you want to spend most of it hiding behind your seat.
I don't think he be a great full back but at least he has a defender protecting him at centre back.
And Kelleher has one bad game and is off the team. Jesus how can a lad improve if he being treated like that.
Where Gary Conneely gone. He was improving all the time in the games he play
Great to see Shane Dooley back and Mahon and Kilmartin back where they belongs.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

kaiserchief wrote:
townman wrote:the only thing is its not goalkeepers we need, but good to see Clancy on board, i see Cathal Parlon
I totally agree with your statement. Dempsey is the best goalie around an is certainly first choice but we need rotation system for league and challenge matches to give Clancy time in the goal just in case Dempsey got injured.
Rory Hanniffy at full back is a joke, I know Kenny is injured at present but playing a player with his experience out of position is just pure stupid.
How many chances is Cathal Parlon going to get. He he an excellent club player and has all the bells and whistles when marking a weaker player but at this level there are very few weak players and he just can't make it.
Healion at full back is a liability in county hurler, he is just too slow and I think center back is the place for him. Its good to see Mahon playing at 11, which is his best position.
The cork match will be interesting. Our back line have been destroyed by both Laois and Wexford so far so I can only imagine what Corks forwards especially Horgan will do.

Starting 15 for Cork: ( based on the two league games and challenge game)
1. James Dempsey
2.Stephen Wynne
3. Chris McDonald
4.James Rigney
5. Mark Egan
6.Ger Healion
7.Rory Hanniffy
8.Brian Carroll
9.Damien Kilmartin
10.Colin Egan
11.Conor Mahon
12.Joe Bergin
13.Stephen Quirke
14. Dan Currams
15. Shane Dooley
I like the spine of your team but it not fair on Kelleher to take the fall for Hanniffy and Walkins not being able to play centre back. Let get Kelleher one game where he has some form of protection and he doesn't have a half forward line running straight at him. this is something no full back can handle. I feel so sorry for Kevin Connelly he has taking the fall for Bergin not being able to play centre forward.

Carroll is a Corner forward. He has being given 20 or 30 chance in midfield and has fail most of the time. Gary Conneely, Sean Ryan, Brady and Hanniffy should be fight it out for midfield beside Kilmartin. They are all better midfielder than Carroll.
And Ryan can't drop he was too good the last day but that comparing him to Parlon performance against Laois.

this would be my team.

1. James Dempsey
2. Stephen Wynne
3. Dan Kelleher.
4. Chris McDonald
5. James Rigney
6. Ger Healion
7. Sean Gardiner
8. Sean Ryan
9. Damien Kilmartin
10. Colin Egan
11. Conor Mahon
12. Dan Currams
13. Stephen Quirke
14. Joe Bergin
15. Brian Carroll

Feel for Niall Wynne he has got no help from his half backs in the first two games. Dooley Need fitness before we begin putting out to play full games, The last thing i want to see is a half fit Shane trying to keep up with a fully fit Cork. Sean Cleary will make a great half forward in time and could well be keep if Mahon was centre forward. Colin Egan, Mahon, Currams and Bergin can all swap Position but the last thing i want to see is Bergin spending 60 mins in the half forward line. Lets make our forwards hard to mark and give their marker something different to think about every now and again.

Now it goes with saying but just to have it on record. If we can get Cork to shoot from distance and from the sides we have a good chance of turning them over. So our half backs need to stay in the half back line to do this. If they don't, when,the cork half forwards get the ball they be on-top of our Full backs in seconds and that the last thing we want to happen.
Ger Healion is key to this. He need to stay in close to Kelleher so when the cork half forwards run at the backs they are trying to run at Healion and not kelleher. No Forward will come for second if they get a shoulder for Healion and if they can't go through him they have to go around him and they take time. if the cork forward are taking time, then the Offaly backs have time and it becomes a bottle neck for the cork forward. Forwards Love space and back hate it.
Now play your half back in the half back line will mean that the Cork half forward are free out the field. If we get beating by Cork half forward scoring 15 or 16 points for 60 yards or more so be it. if any team has forward like that good for them.

If we can Break even in the half forward line This will also stop the supply to the Cork Forward and then both work together to get Offaly the win we need.
Now if we going to play a 3 midfield lets make it a midfielder. that means that Rory Hanniffy comes into the team for one of the forwards. Hanniffy is a very good midfielder and will do more damage than a Forward wandering around trying to play the position.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

kaiserchief wrote:
townman wrote:the only thing is its not goalkeepers we need, but good to see Clancy on board, .
I agree that James Dempsey is currently is the best goalkeeper in the county. Despite making a great save against Wexford, many would have expected him to have done better with both shots that beat him. I trust that management will have 3 goalkeepers on the panel in order to cover injuries/loss of form.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity that fullback line would be ate alive by cork, yes i know we need changes but Kelleher left one on one with Pat Horgan won't be pretty watching. what has happen to Dermot Shortt from Rynagh's or Sean Coughlan, i see most have Steven Wynne back is he much better than Niall.

he hurl fullback last year for Rynaghs might be better there than the corner, i wouldn't write off Dermot Mooney or Watkins. Watkins is not a corner back, and Mooney is not a bad hurler the midfield again laois left them wide open. agree with Brian Carroll at midfield this has been show up time and time again that it doesn't work and won't. Shane Dooley will have to start even on one leg his one of the best forwards in offaly. as i said this will take a few years to get right but the likes of the Geraghtys Peter and Thomas have to be given time along with Sean Cleary and Quirke, i rather play them than go back to what hasn't worked Carroll in midfield and Parlon on the team.

as for Rory Hanniffy hasn't much time left i myself would play him half forward or switch to midfield at times, we also could do with Joe Bergin hitting abit of form beside place balls which he was poor again laois he hasn't set the world on fire in the forwards we need him and Currams to come to life soon.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

that team look much better than what played laoise .

if we had d kenny d morkam d horan d currams and j bergin back we should have a decent team.

i dont know about rory at full back but at least we are looking at options

.what about healion at full and kilmartain at centre with rory in midfield would that work???????

great to see s wynne back he a fine club hurler who has never got a fair chance with the county.

is d king d shortt p camon g conneely on this years panel ???

were t carroll s coughlan droped or did the leave??

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Being realistic Offaly have little or no chance of defeating Cork on Sunday next. The reality is that we have two must win games left in the League against Limerick & Antrim and we are fortunate to have both of these games at home. Next Sunday's game is the last chance management have to experiment and give other panel members game time. It is vital that any panel members who have not got a "run" in the League so far will get somev game time on Sunday if possible. I hope that management will not judge players on performances in the Walsh Cup in January and challenge games in February when pitch conditions were particularly poor.
The Team I think we should start against Cork would be: C Clancy, N Wynne, S Wynne, J Rigney; S Gardiner, D Shortt, D Mooney; D Kilmartin, R Hanniffy; J Bergin, C Mahon, G Conneely; B Carroll, D Currams, S Dooley.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Lads Conor Clancy isn't even on the panel. It was Conor Slevin who played in goals v Portumna. Currently not on the panel either include James Mulrooney, Thomas Carroll, Dan Kelliher, Dermot Shortt, Damien Egan, Sean Dolan, David King, Gary Connelly and Michael Cleary who have all either been dropped or left of their own accord.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:Toxicity that fullback line would be ate alive by cork, yes i know we need changes but Kelleher left one on one with Pat Horgan won't be pretty watching. what has happen to Dermot Shortt from Rynagh's or Sean Coughlan, i see most have Steven Wynne back is he much better than Niall. he hurl fullback last year for Rynaghs might be better there than the corner

i know what your saying. Kelleher aginist Horgan is a big ask but Wynne on his first day back in 19 months would be a bigger ask. Wynne could be tried there after he has a game or two under his belt. I a huge fan of Shortt but i don't want two young lad playing in the spine of the team aginist Cork away. Helion went to full back and Shortt was a centre back i be ok with that. S. Wynne. Camon. Kelleher and Enda Gorgan two of these could well make up the spine of the Offaly Defence over the next 5 or 6 years but time will tell.
Again just to point out if out half backs end up in midfield you could have Jesus and Muhammad in corner's and God at full back and they would get eating alive because they not being given a chance by the players out the field.

townman wrote:i wouldn't write off Dermot Mooney or Watkins. Watkins is not a corner back, and Mooney is not a bad hurler the midfield again laois left them wide open. agree with Brian Carroll at midfield this has been show up time and time again that it doesn't work and won't. Shane Dooley will have to start even on one leg his one of the best forwards in offaly. as i said this will take a few years to get right but the likes of the Geraghtys Peter and Thomas have to be given time along with Sean Cleary and Quirke, i rather play them than go back to what hasn't worked Carroll in midfield and Parlon on the team.

Agree with almost all of this but i'm not sure what watkins best position is?? He look like a midfielder. if he is a midfielder them in Birr club Ryan, Hanniffy, Hayden and Murphy are all better than him. Is he one for the future what age is he?
My big worry about starting Shane Dooley is if we push him to hard after coming back from an injury, only one thing is going to happen. he get injured again and that would be a mess.
The Geraghty's, Cleary and Quirke need game time as well and waiting in the wings are Kevin Connelly and Damien Egan and a few year time maybe eoin ryan will get over his injury's and then you have Ryan for clareen and mannion coming through at rynagh's lots of hurler in county. get them to work as a team Well??
townman wrote:as for Rory Hanniffy hasn't much time left i myself would play him half forward or switch to midfield at times, we also could do with Joe Bergin hitting abit of form beside place balls which he was poor again laois he hasn't set the world on fire in the forwards we need him and Currams to come to life soon.

Bergin has to go back in to full forward. He not fit enough for the half forward line he could only be use out there for 15 mins a half. that the most we can get out of him at the moment in the half forward line. he doesn't look as fit as he could be but he a big lad and it hard to keep fitness when your build like he is. When he legs go he should be taking off.
Currams was awesome aginist wexford. He drags us back into the game by himself. he does what bergin won't he will drag players to him take a hit and off load the ball. Bergin trying to off load (if he win it) before he get hit.
Hanniffy is too good to be off the team and not good enough at defending to play in the defence but who do you drop to pick him, I put him in the half forward line and if we do want to play a 3 midfielder drop him out into midfied and Bergin out for 15 mins and Quirke out in the half forward line. Quikre because i saw him play there for 20 mins in a under 21 against Wexford a few year ago and Offaly were getting hammered and he was still excellent.
alltheway wrote:Lads Conor Clancy isn't even on the panel. It was Conor Slevin who played in goals v Portumna. Currently not on the panel either include James Mulrooney, Thomas Carroll, Dan Kelliher, Dermot Shortt, Damien Egan, Sean Dolan, David King, Gary Connelly and Michael Cleary who have all either been dropped or left of their own accord.
Just seen this as i finished my post and all i can say is shit. look like were going no where. The hurlers being dropped in the middle of the league is bullshit.
We have step on a landmine. the problem is we planted it ourselves.
For the 1st time in my life i don't think i can't face the drive to a match. Its a sad day.

The Outsider
Junior C

Post by The Outsider »

[quote="alltheway"]Lads Conor Clancy isn't even on the panel. It was Conor Slevin who played in goals v Portumna. Currently not on the panel either include James Mulrooney, Thomas Carroll, Dan Kelliher, Dermot Shortt, Damien Egan, Sean Dolan, David King, Gary Connelly and Michael Cleary who have all either been dropped or left of their own accord.[/quote]

When did these lads depart panel!? Conneely played some of second half v Portumna as did James Mulrooney! Dan Kelleher wasn't togged out but was pucking about at half time. Shame to see some of these younger players leave panel if it is the case.