NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

Post by Toxicity234 »

Looking forward to the game this weekend.
Huge question around Offaly,

The Wexford team is
1 MARK FANNING M. Ó Fainín GLYNN BARNTOWN
2 BOBBY KENNY R Ó Ceannaigh BUFFERS ALLEY 3 MATTHEW O’HANLON M Ó hAnluain ST JAMES 4 CIARAN KENNY R Ó Ceannaigh BUFFERS ALLEY
5 ANDREW SHORE A. Shore PARNELLS (DUBLIN) 6 LEE CHIN L Chin FAYTHE HARRIERS 7 JAMES TONKS S. Tonks FERNS ST AIDANS
8 DIARMUID O’KEEFFE D Ó Caoimh ST ANNES 9 HARRY KEHOE E Mac Eochaidh CLOUGHBAWN
10 SHANE TOMKINS S Tompkins ASKAMORE 11 JACK GUINEY S Ó Guiní RATHNURE 12 IAN BYRNE E Ó Broin FERNS ST AIDANS
13 PAUL MORRIS P. Ó Murris FERNS ST AIDANS 14 RHYS CLARKE R Cléirgh FAYTHE HARRIERS 15 LIAM OG MCGOVERN L Óg Mc Giobheanaigh ST ANNES

16 BEN O’CONNOR B Ó Conchobhair OULART THE BALLAGH
17 LIAM RYAN L O Riáin RAPPAREES
18 EANNA MARTIN E Ó Martin SARSFIELDS (CORK)
19 GARY MOORE G. Ó Mórdha GLYNN BARNTOWN
20 RORY JACOB R Iacób OULART THE BALLAGH
21 EOIN CONROY E Ó Conraoi NAOMH EANNA
22 CONOR DEVITT C Devitt BALLYFAD
23 KEVIN FOLEY C Ó Foghlú RAPPAREES
24 BENNY JORDAN B Mac Shiúrtáin FERNS ST AIDANS
25 JACK O’CONNOR S Ó Conchobhair ST MARTINS
26 CIARAN O’SHAUGHNESSY C Ó Seachnaisí SHELMALIERS

Chin is a great hurler but at centre back. If Mahon Come into centre forward Chin will have his hands full.
Guiney at Centre Forward is huge worry after last week against Laois. Guiney is a lot better than anyone Laois had last week.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Killeighman
All Star

Re: NHL Wexford v Offaly 21 february 2014

Post by Killeighman »

Very good offaly team out considering the injuries. It should be a good encounter

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Killeighman wrote:Very good offaly team out considering the injuries. It should be a good encounter
This is the team
1. Dempsey
2. Wynne
3. Kelliher
4. Watkins
5. Gardner
6. Rigney
7. Mooney
8. Kilmartin
9. Ryan
10. Cleary
11. Bergin
12. Mahon
13.Carroll
14. Currams
15. Quirke

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

6 changes, and a few positional switches for Sunday. Hope for a better result. Tickets available at €10 in Scally's Centra Tullamore, no harm in saving money in these times.
Buttons wrote:
Killeighman wrote:Very good offaly team out considering the injuries. It should be a good encounter
This is the team
1. Dempsey
2. Wynne
3. Kelliher
4. Watkins
5. Gardner
6. Rigney
7. Mooney
8. Kilmartin
9. Ryan
10. Cleary
11. Bergin
12. Mahon
13.Carroll
14. Currams
15. Quirke

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

Toxicity234 wrote: Guiney at Centre Forward is huge worry after last week against Laois. Guiney is a lot better than anyone Laois had last week.

Ah enough already Toxicity! Offaly supporters have been gracious in defeat to Laois bar yourself. Ye were beat fair and square on the day, there's no need for your petty and condescending remarks. Guiney is a good hurler but to say he is "a lot better" than Picky Maher or Neil Foyle (to name two Laois lads his own age) is just bitterness on your part. Get over it.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

TheGreatGame wrote:
Toxicity234 wrote: Guiney at Centre Forward is huge worry after last week against Laois. Guiney is a lot better than anyone Laois had last week.

Ah enough already Toxicity! Offaly supporters have been gracious in defeat to Laois bar yourself. Ye were beat fair and square on the day, there's no need for your petty and condescending remarks. Guiney is a good hurler but to say he is "a lot better" than Picky Maher or Neil Foyle (to name two Laois lads his own age) is just bitterness on your part. Get over it.
Sorry man. No disrespect to Laois. Laois were mile the better team last week. If you read my post i have said it a few time. I watch laois a few times last year and was realy impressed, If i am to compare the laois performance from last Sunday to what i saw last year. Laois were at 60% to 70% of what i saw they can produce from last year.
The impression some Offaly fans have is that Laois were play like it was an All Ireland final for them but to me this is not true. Laois can play so much better.
Now if that not a compliment to Laois. Best of luck tomorrow night. I'll more than likely be in Portlaoise tomorrow watch the game.

But if you watch the game The offaly half backs and midfield were all over the place. If you seen Young Guiney is to me one of the best young huler i've seen in the last 20 years. Laois have fine young hurlers but non in Guiney League at the moment. Sorry that the true as i see it. When Laois play Wexford watch out for him.

Can i ask you which of the Laois Forwards is better than Guiney????

Now back to the Offaly Game. its an interesting team. Rigney ay No. 6 well he get stuck in that for sure. I am so Happy to see Kilmartin in midfield and Mahon in the half forward. Any day to get to see Quirke starting his 1st intercounty game is a special day for the whole county he a real players.
“Common sense is not so common.”

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

Toxicity234 wrote:
TheGreatGame wrote:

Sorry man. No disrespect to Laois. Laois were mile the better team last week. If you read my post i have said it a few time. I watch laois a few times last year and was realy impressed, If i am to compare the laois performance from last Sunday to what i saw last year. Laois were at 60% to 70% of what i saw they can produce from last year.
The impression some Offaly fans have is that Laois were play like it was an All Ireland final for them but to me this is not true. Laois can play so much better.
Now if that not a compliment to Laois. Best of luck tomorrow night. I'll more than likely be in Portlaoise tomorrow watch the game.

But if you watch the game The offaly half backs and midfield were all over the place. If you seen Young Guiney is to me one of the best young huler i've seen in the last 20 years. Laois have fine young hurlers but non in Guiney League at the moment. Sorry that the true as i see it. When Laois play Wexford watch out for him.

Can i ask you which of the Laois Forwards is better than Guiney????

Now back to the Offaly Game. its an interesting team. Rigney ay No. 6 well he get stuck in that for sure. I am so Happy to see Kilmartin in midfield and Mahon in the half forward. Any day to get to see Quirke starting his 1st intercounty game is a special day for the whole county he a real players.
That's fair enough Toxicity, your posts do read differently in light of the above. I've seen Guiney quite a few times at this stage and while I agree he's a good hurler I wouldn't rate him quite as highly as you do. Whatever about being better, I genuinely wouldn't swap either Stephen Maher or Neil Foyle for him. IMO Conor McDonald is the best prospect in Wexford by a country mile.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Absolutely nothing special about Jack Guiney bar his powerful shot. He isn't even the best young forward Wexford has, nor is he within an arses roar of the best young hurler's in the country. Hell he isn't even the best young player named on that Wexford team, Shore and Chin are superior for a start.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I think Stephen Quirke is even better than Jack Guiney. Quirke was in great form last year and i dont know how he didnt get a look in for senior. When he gets a few games under his belt this year you'll see the real stephen quirke. He is a special talent and i am looking forward to seeing him in the weeks and months to come.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Quirke had two hamstring injuries in the past 6 months and this probably explains why he didn't get a look in on the UL team either

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Quirke better than Guiney, give us a break.... that is pure horse manure. Quirke is about to make his first start and is a bright prospect with potential.... he doesnt need this undue pressure to perform.... he has a lot to prove yet and inter county senior is a huge step from Offaly club hurling.....

Id have serious reservations about that backline too..... Novice full back line and Rigney isnt good enough for inter county centre back imo. Too small. A right lad for corner back or maybe wing back or maybe even midfield but centre back or full back....NO WAY.

Unfortunately id be thinking Wexford will win by at least 3. Hope i am wrong.....

Decent enough from midfield up.......but would swap a few around. Mahon to CF and Bergin to FF being obvious ones......
jimbob

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Jimbob 17, you must never have seen James Rigney hurl centre back for Kinnitty. You specifically said James Rigney "isn't good enough " for centre back. I can assure you he is. Then you went on to say he hasn't the size the for centre back. This may be the case.

However to say he "isn't good enough" for centre back is, frankly, ridiculous. I would hazard a guess that the majority of posters here would see James Rigney as the best club centre back in Offaly.

offaly98
Junior C
Club: ryhnaghs

Post by offaly98 »

offaly will be beaten by 10+ points, no point picking players that are of a junior standard.. its a pure joke !!! sad days for offaly hurling.. :(

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

kinnittyman wrote:Jimbob 17, you must never have seen James Rigney hurl centre back for Kinnitty. You specifically said James Rigney "isn't good enough " for centre back. I can assure you he is. Then you went on to say he hasn't the size the for centre back. This may be the case.

However to say he "isn't good enough" for centre back is, frankly, ridiculous. I would hazard a guess that the majority of posters here would see James Rigney as the best club centre back in Offaly.
I have seen him hurl for Kinnity at centre back and yes he is very good at this level at centre back in what is an average club team at best. If you read my post again i said " Rigney isnt good enough for inter county centre back imo. Too small. A right lad for corner back or maybe wing back or maybe even midfield but centre back or full back....NO WAY."

With all due respect, the post is in relation to the Offaly senior hurlers, not the Kinnity senior hurlers and ill stand over this. Has he ever hurled senior at centre back for offaly? and if he has how has he done. He is just back in after being out of inter county for a year or more and should be just aiming to make the team if right was right. I think he is a key player for us and a brilliant corner or wing back at county level but NOT good enough to play inter-county at centre back as he is TOO SMALL........Unfortunately, size plays a big factor at this level, especially down the spine of the team. Sure why dont we trow Dermot Mooney in full back and Brian Carroll centre forward aswell. Neither are big enough for them positions in my opinion and most would agree. I suppose the clareen and coolderry lads will be on now giving out about that viewpoint!!!

All that said, i hope Rigney proves me wrong tmro as we'll need him if we are to hold Wexford out.....
jimbob

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Jimbob your some can of piss