OFFALY UNDER 21 HURLING

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Re: OFFALY UNDER 21 HURLING

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Sad to say but TG4 should have shown Dublin and Westmeath game. Was even thinking this earlier in the week. We need to look at what Clare (Waterford & Laois as well to an extent) did over last few years and see what structure we could put in place with 5 year and 10 year plans - we need to make sure we get financial support to do this from Leinster and Croke Park. Co Board also needs to ensure all clubs coaches/managers have done the training courses and everyone follows an overall plan for Offaly hurling.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

allstar2010 wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Certainly there is no shortage of confidence in this Wexford team. The initial line was 1/16, and that was heavily backed I'm told. Now 1/25, with an eleven point handicap. Looking through the team that's been named, it's hard to imagine them being eleven point underdogs, but there you go.
The 11point handicap is very appealing in fairness or is it just heart guiding the head? Think I'll go mad and stick a few euro on the win 9/1. Come on the faithful.
Never in doubt!
Offaly beat the handicap. :mrgreen:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly were 17 points behind at one stage. Got it down to 10 at the end. It was the clock that beat us.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

OMG how did we only lose by 10 points? Wexfords physicality and aerial supremacy meant we won practically no 50/50 battles. We were obviously going to suffer from the lack of preparation but that doesn't explain how some of our lads were obviously not up to this standard fitness-wise.
In 2009 I rushed from U12 training up to Parnell Park to see Wexford and Dublin playing the U21 semi and was raging I bothered because the game was over after 10 mins. I think Dublin won by 19 points. Afterwards I heard that Wexford had only appointed their management team within the previous 4 weeks. Apparently it was a cost saving exercise - money was tight and the U21 team was sacrificed. Tonight was a carbon copy of that farce. Fair play to Wexford as they seem to have gotten their act together after some bad times. They never sank as low as us however. Where do we go from here? Nobody is going to dig us out of this hole and nor should they. It's up to ourselves

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I feel sorry for Under 21Hurling Players & Team Management as the County Board's failure to have an Under 21 Hurling Management in place last November ensured that Offaly had virtually No Chance in the Leinster Under 21 Hurling Championship. The development of hurling players at Under 21 Level appears to be a Low-Priority in Offaly. Offaly's performances at senior level are not very surprising as a result. We, as a county have to decide do we want to host visiting County Senior Hurling Teams at our expensive O'Connor Park or should we begin to re-consider the development of our own players.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Westmeath will be gutted
they had targetted this game all year, playing their Under 21s in so many league and the Leinster round robin championship games.

After that bunch of players, Westmeath have very poor squads at underage hurling. they are slipping quickly at underage hurling and need serious investment.
realistically, the two counties should get together, put a solid joint plan in place and get combined funding from Leinster GAA and Central Council.
only the best...

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

county board need to go . last night was their fault .the managment had no chance to mold a team which was clear in the first half
the basic thing for an team is to have a half back line to compete and defend puckouts . that any teams platform .
in the second half d kelliher when he came to centre back did that to good effect which helped us but the game was over by then
to be fair most of that wexford team won an u 21 leinster last year so the have been together for a two years . we have 8 weeks training and it showed and honestly we got what we deserved.
i feel sorry for the hurlers the deserve the same as every other hurling county .
if d kelliher s gardner n wynne p geraghty were training in a propper set up like clare how much better would they be ?
surely the deserve the chance to be the best they can be .
THE COUNTY BOARD ARE NOT GIVING THEM A CHANCE .

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Is it asking too much for Offaly to field hurling sides where some of the players aren't massively overweight?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Omg Lads. a Huge Disappointment. This is a game we should have won.
Wexford are big strong team, With 4 or 5 good hurlers.
I didn't see the send off. The umpire said it was the end of the hurl into the stomach for the 1st one.
I didn't see anything for the 2nd.

Offaly problems were all their own making in the first half. Wexford 1st 4 point from play were turnovers from the Offaly half backline trying the to pick out a midfield. With the midfield being double mark.
Dolan was at full forward and we didn't send any ball in on top of him. The only ball he got was when he went Centre forward and he pick out the pass of the day to Mulrooney who should have scored a goal but took so long over the shot he was blocked.
After the 1st send off the Offaly half back did what ever bad team does. they pushed up to try to push the team forward. They push up so far that they were in our midfield. In the space of 5 mins Gardiner and Lyons dispossessed O'Connor and Mahon. Our half back were tackling our own midfielder.
The wexford team when they got the ball they just hit it long in ontop of McDonnald.
This was another mad thing Offaly had a extra man for most of the 1st half but Connelly and Kelleher were the only players inside the 45. For the life of me i could tell you if it was Wynne or Doughan was the extra man.
Wexford only attacking weapon was to hit everything in on top of Mcdonnald all we had to do was put someone in front of him. We could have controlled the whole game.

In the second half moving Kelleher to Centre back was a stroke of Genius. Wexford tried 5 different player on him and in the end the Wexford players were told to keep the Ball away from him. He hurled and won every battle. he may not be the fitness play to pull on the jersey but i have him on an team. Wexford ended up double up on him to stop him and it didn't work.
Everytime Wexford ran at Offaly in the 2nd half they ran into Kelleher and he came out with the ball. Kelleher(and a few others) need to be keep training for the rest of the year.
Our forwards scored some nice points and we hit some bad wides in the second half.

planning for next year started today.

last night was a loss but it could have been the start of a recovery.
A management team that has more than 8 week with these players will improve these lads no end but the management team have to improve as well and after last night second half. i think that Hogan, Mc Donald, Dunphy and Byrne will make a very good management team.
I want hear that by the end of September the Offaly u-21 panel for next year been in place, just so we not starting in February next year again at Zero.

Team: Kevin O'Connor
Niall Wynne, Dan Kelleher, Stephen Connolly
Simon óg Lyons, Conor Doughan, Sean Gardiner
Con Mahon, Joseph O'Connor.
Emmet Nolan, Peter Geraghty, Jason Sampson.
Thomas Geraghty, Sean Dolan, Colm Mulrooney.

Subs: Keith Bergin, Gareth Mann, Alan Kelly, Paddy Mullins, Shane Guinan, Kevin Dunne, Jordan Fogarty, Sean T. O'Connor, Ger Crowe.
Exended Panel: Paddy Rigney, Keith Mullally, Darragh Cleary, Graham Lynch, Declan Cleary, Tommy Rigney, Colm Daly, Niall McCabe, Paul Kinsella.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Killeighman wrote:Keith Mullaly is named among the subs for the game this evening
i belive they dropped the chap off the 23 before the game disgrace what they are doing to this chap
he has hurl 4 yeras with clareen under 21 and was their captain this year i have seen him hurl and he is better than what is been picked before him the last few years maybe been from Gracefield is held again him which is a shame .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well done to Shirone U 21 champion.
Didn't make the match.
I beleive Conor Doughan got the goal that made the difference,
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I couldn't make the Final myself either. Evidently Shinrone's graph continues to rise, as you would expect from a team that hurls with the style they do. For their own sake I hope they drive on this summer now.

Enda McEvoy tweeted yesterday (Sunday) evening "Moral of the story this hurling weekend: winning silverware is one thing, defending it quite another". He mightn't have had Shinrone U21s in mind but the comment could apply to them nonetheless.
Toxicity234 wrote:Well done to Shirone U 21 champion.
Didn't make the match.
I beleive Conor Doughan got the goal that made the difference,
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.