Senior C'ships First Round

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
seamroga
Senior

Senior C'ships First Round

Post by seamroga »

I read with interest the contribtions posted on the Erin Rovers v Doon game on Saturday evening. Looking at the two teams on paper, I'm not surprised that the Pullough men picked up the two points; I didn't know Doon were going to be without Damien Hunt, for example. It's hard to keep in touch with every club's panel, especially before the first round.
It would be great each weekend if contributors to this forum could post details of games they attended - even a couple of main points and perhaps the goal scorers. Particularly on weekends such as this when so many matches were played at the same time. It's a long wait until Wednesday for the papers.
With Edenderry defeating Ballycumber by a goal and St Brigid's edging out Shannonbridge, it wasn't a great start for the west Offaly area, which we hear so much about on this website :wink:
A five point win for Rhode over Tullamore sounds just about right but, again, I can't wait to see the line out of the Tullamore team.

SHC: K/K 4-15, Shamrocks 2-10.

In the only Senior Hurling Championship game of the weekend, Kilcormac/Killoughey pulled clear of Shamrocks in the last 15 minutes of their game in Birr on Saturday evening to win by 4-15 to 2-10.
The winners stepped up a gear in the closing quarter and Shamrocks - who were without Neville and Thomas Coughlan - faded badly.
K/K are trained this year by Offaly Coaching and Games Development Officer, John Leahy, and he has them moving the ball very fast. Even though he didn't score, Martin Murray had a great game at centre forward, spraying the ball around intelligently.
K/K led at half time by 3-5 to 2-6, with their goals scored by Eamonn Lee (two) and Ciaran Slevin. Goal scorers for Shamrocks were Stephen Delaney and Derek Molloy - whose sideline cut looked to be deflected over the line by a K/K defender.
David Gleeson added a fourth goal for the winners in the second half while substitute Joe Wynne impressed with three late points.
County panellist Ger Healion had a fine game for K/K at full back. Colm Cassidy also stood out at wing back, though he was severely tested by Derek Molloy in the first half, while Murray, Lee and Slevin starred up front, despite the best efforts of Mark Yeates, Colin Dunne and Adrian Minnock for Shamrocks.