Mother claims GAA ‘bullying’ her child

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mother 123
Junior B

Re: Mother claims GAA ‘bullying’ her child

Post by mother 123 »

Great to hear your supporting Birr club financially in our magic memories

mother 123
Junior B

Post by mother 123 »

Great to hear your enjoying magic memories and supporting the club

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lone Shark wrote:
mother 123 wrote:Bring back parish rule then there would never have been need for this article in the Irish examiner.Both clubs would benefit in the longterm
How would Crinkill benefit exactly?
Any chance you'd answer this rather than taking cheap shots?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

feck sake can we give this a rest, there is two games on this weekend offaly seniors again cavan, minor league starts again laois, and not many post about it, just this sh.t about a kid playing hurling. :oops:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:feck sake can we give this a rest, there is two games on this weekend offaly seniors again cavan, minor league starts again laois, and not many post about it, just this sh.t about a kid playing hurling. :oops:

Hmm. How many of us here can identify with what just happened? I know I've been in a fair few of these arguments anyway.

Other Person: "This is a disgrace - it's all wrong, it should be fixed immediately, and ye're all bad people for letting it happen!"
Me: Calmly explain why that line of thought is nonsense, using logic and reason.
Other Person: "I don't want to talk about it anymore."

mother 123
Junior B

Post by mother 123 »

Do you not think your club could also attract players if players could choose their club through parish rule. I can appreciate your feelings aboUt this issue but if conor was my kid and I had to try to convince him to now go to a club that reported him as illegal I think Id be at nothing.Because of the locality of this issue its going to be very hard to resolve WithoUt someone losing OUt and I wouldn't like for Connor to have to give up his sport.We will have to wait and see the outcome

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leinster Minor Football League - Group 2

Round 1

Offaly 1-13 V 2-4 Laois

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Funny, at least there are these parish rules in Offaly.

If you were in Westmeath clubs can poach a player from anywhere they want.
A few senior clubs have been rounding up the best talent from neighbouring smaller clubs in hurling and football.
Its a major reason why Westmeath are going nowhere at any level.
Smaller clubs lose their players if they show any promise.
only the best...

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

mother 123 wrote:Do you not think your club could also attract players if players could choose their club through parish rule. I can appreciate your feelings aboUt this issue but if conor was my kid and I had to try to convince him to now go to a club that reported him as illegal I think Id be at nothing.Because of the locality of this issue its going to be very hard to resolve WithoUt someone losing OUt and I wouldn't like for Connor to have to give up his sport.We will have to wait and see the outcome
You say that as if Crinkill have done anything wrong here? They've merely defended their territory, just as any self-respecting club would do. The only reason this is an issue at all (i.e. the time lapse) is because they didn't do so more aggressively, which I'm sure is a lesson they'll take from this.

Nobody wants to see Conor stop hurling, but the sport is bigger than any one player and whatever factors are being considered by the various committees, anticipating Conor's reaction shouldn't be one of them.

As for your idea that clubs should compete for players within the parish, anyone with any knowledge of the GAA knows that the organisation is far stronger in counties where players just play for their local club. There are odd cases, such as the recent one in Firies in Kerry, where a child's parish club might be many miles away and his local club and indeed all his friends might be playing somewhere more local. I'd have some sympathy in a case like that, but even so it would want to be extreme circumstances. No such circumstances exist here.

shortie
Junior C

Post by shortie »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Just had a look at Magic Memories which reveals Patricia Smith was on the committee of the Birr Minor club in 2012.
kinnittyman wrote:So Conor's grandfather is a life President of Birr therefore it would be hardly beyond the realms of possibility that the family is well versed in the laws of the boundary issue with Crinkle.

Conor then plays completely illegally with Birr and is reported for it. Mammy is raging that Conor can't do what he and the family likes (even though he is completely ineligible to hurl with Birr) and goes crying to the media.

In a nutshell -"My son is being bullied because he(we) can't get our way"

I'd say she's some craic at Parent-Teacher meeting.
what is the gaa protocal if the mother falsely accesses members of the gaa such as trainers for bullying her child?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Summary execution at dawn. It used to take place at the wall outside St. Brendan's Park, but now has been moved to the wall at the Ardan Road end of O'Connor Park. Crowds are way down as a result.

In seriousness though, I don't think the mother was saying the trainers were bullying her child, she was saying that effectively the GAA were bullying her child by not allowing him hurl with Birr. That's hyperbole of course, and does a disservice to those kids actually suffering from bullying, but I don't think she was implying that Crinkle trainers were bullying him. Sure he probably has never trained with Crinkle, so they can't be bullying him at training anyway.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.