Football League Division 3 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Football League Division 3 2014

Post by Kevin »

Good luck to the footballers as they embark on the 2014 league campaign.

Cavan
Fermanagh
Wexford
Sligo
Limerick
Longford
Roscommon

As stated in other places around here, a look at the list does not show any soft touches at all. Any points we take out of this group won't be earned without considerable effort. A little luck never hurt either.

I noticed somewhere that we are the favorites for relegation blah, blah, blah (who cares - only that this could provide a little bit of motivation (although I'm not sure much more is needed)).

On the other hand, promotion put us in this position and playing against better competition is ... better.

Competition in this group will really let us know where we stand.

Good luck again on Sunday v Wexford to all involved and the whole league through!

Never a time like the present for Offaly to get back to the tradition of doing better than people expect. Expecting to be the best is never far behind that.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Football League Division 3 2014

Post by Bord na Mona man »

To lift the trophy
Cavan 7/4
Roscommon 11/4
Wexford 9/2
Sligo 8/1
Limerick 10/1
Fermanagh 11/1
Longford 14/1
Offaly 16/1

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Division 3 is looking like a proper minefield this year. A minefield of very average teams at that. At this stage of the year, it is very difficult to assess what progress teams may be showing. We have to go largely by what we know based on previous seasons and any obvious potential that has been shown of late. From my point of view, this is a considerably weaker looking division 3 than there has been for a few years.
You’ve got Gaelic Football’s new dark horse, in the form of Cavan, who of late, are starting to look about as dark as Desert Orchid. At 7/4, they’re hardly a value bet for the division. They should win this division comfortably though. They’ll give Ulster a good crack too this year and could genuinely join the list of contenders in the next season or two.
Below Cavan, there doesn’t look like any one clear contender for the other promotion spot. Wexford and Roscommon are probably the two sides in the best shape from the remaining 7. Roscommon are gradually getting better whereas Wexford look like they’re on the wane a little bit. Roscommon (like Cavan) are a team who have gotten things right at underage level in recent years. Relatively comparable in size to Offaly, this is something that we should be targeting right now. There is being some very good work done on the Offaly squads at u-14 and u-16 level and hopefully in a couple of years we will really start to see the fruit of this work. Have Wexford regressed a bit? On paper, they would appear to have a squad that is well capable of holding their own in Division 2, let alone Division 3, yet there seems to be something missing from them at the moment.
Pat Flanagan’s move into the Sligo setup may give them the impetus to push on from last year’s debacle of a season. Flanagan’s appointment has created a new excitement in Sligo and there seems to be genuine optimism there. They’re no world-beaters yet though, nor will they be during the league. But they look to be the best of the rest. Offaly, Fermanagh, Limerick and Longford will more than likely occupy the bottom four places in this division. Holding a slight sense of optimism, I think that we’re more than able for any of those on our day.
With every degree of optimism comes my own dose of pessimism. On the face of it, Offaly don’t look too impressive. The current squad looks ill-equipped to compete physically with most other counties and there would seem to be less dynamism within our forward ranks, which suggests that we might struggle to put scores on the board when confronted by some serious defences. Promotion from division 4 was achieved last year, albeit a little unconvincingly. The manner in which Clare took us apart in Tullamore last season leads me to believe we’re always on the verge of a bad performance. In terms of consolidation (or even promotion) from this division, the biggest positive for Offaly is the perceived quality (or lack of) of the teams around us. Fermanagh, Limerick and Longford don’t look like they’re making too many positive strides at the minute. With Limerick and Longford both coming to Tullamore, staying unbeaten on our own patch is going to be critical. I would fancy us to probably win those two games.
Points will need to be taken by Offaly away from O’Connor Park. We performed well away from home last year, albeit in division 4. Visits to Wexford, Sligo, Roscommon and Fermanagh each pose problems of their own. Not taking into account the limitations of each of the other sides in our division, what can we expect to take from this season’s campaign?
Opening with a visit to Wexford Park, there is a chance we could take something from this game. I asked the question earlier, have Wexford regressed? My opinion is that they have. While I suspect we may come up just short against them, taking something from this game would actually set us up for a possible run at promotion. Offaly don’t have a particularly decent record down there recently, but I wont even bother taking that into consideration. It’ll be close, but I’d fancy the yellow-bellies to shade it by a goal or so.
Second up for Offaly is Cavan’s visit to Tullamore. Obviously a lot will depend on the result of our opening game, but I would still expect Cavan to come here and win. They possess a greater all-round game than Offaly right now and may just bring an intensity level a notch or two ahead of ours on the day. Cavan by 4.
Two defeats will set us up for a must-win game in Sligo. They’ll be coming into the game with at least two points already having played Limerick and Fermanagh in their first two games. Sligo are a team I would not be one bit scared of. They’ve been known for playing quite a fast brand of football in the last few years but don’t seem to have anything particularly spectacular about them. Flanagan got results from a far stronger Westmeath team. Sligo will be a good few steps behind Westmeath’s level at the minute and I think we can go there and win with a point or two to spare.
Our first-round championship opponents, Longford, provide the opposition in round 4. Longford look like they’ve completely fallen off the radar now. After initially making great advancements under Glenn Ryan, last year’s relegation may have them at somewhere closer to their true level. I wouldn’t have a great fear of them now and we’d be well capable of taking them in Tullamore. Offaly by 3.
If all goes as I’ve predicted, then we’ll be travelling to Roscommon with 4 points from 8 and will be well in the hunt for promotion. This is a game that neither side will really be able to afford to lose. 3 wins on the bounce could be a massive ask for this Offaly side, and if the past is anything to go by, Offaly have a habit of bringing themselves back down to earth after a great performance by some lads getting great notions about themselves. Roscommon to bump us off our high-horse on St. Patricks weekend and beat us by 5 points.
So from entering round 5 in the promotion hunt, we’ll be going into round 6 looking over our shoulders. We’re at home to Limerick, a side who beat us twice in the league last year. There’s little to choose between the sides, but straying a little more towards the optimistic side of things, I would expect us to get a result against Limerick this time around. Offaly by 2 points.
Last up, we find ourselves up in Fermanagh for a day out. Fermanagh are not a particularly good side. I don’t see the Pete McGrath factor having a massive bearing on their season this year, in so much that I cant see them turning into world beaters or anyting. I wouldn’t like us to be going there in our last game needing a win to save ourselves from relegation or anything. I can see us getting beaten here anyway. Narrowly, but beaten nevertheless. Fermanagh by a point.
That should leave us on 6 points and I think it will be enough to save us, with Longford and Limerick to go down, probably.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I think we will finish 4th or 5th. While Offaly are not great, the division itself is poor.

white and green flag
Junior C

Post by white and green flag »

nothing worse than looking at long winded manure from some people isnt that right HSM

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Thanks wag flag, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
I'll be sure to let you know if I see any manure about the place.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Good assessment HSM. It's one of those years where plenty of teams in the division could go up or down! Didn't Westmeath edge us out in 2011 and we agonisingly missed out on promotion to division 2 in the last game against them. At the same time we weren't far off the drop that year either. Its always that type of division.
Just a couple of years ago we had the 2nd best home record in the league over a 5 year period......Offaly scrapped through loads of 50-50 games in Tullamore but its no longer a feared venue for away teams.
Hope I'm wrong but I think there are too many teams in the division that are a bit too far ahead of us.....the Tyrone slaughtering is still fresh in my mind maybe.
One thing for sure is that negative play like last year won't keep us up. McDonnell shouldn't be afraid to attack.......McNamee and Moloney have real potential close to goal but there will be little point in playing 14 men behind the ball like happened last year at times.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Yes, AGREED, We need to start palying football as it should be and not this defensive shite, its a big year for McDONNELL, Still not sure about him, but if he plays this sh8t against Wexford on Sunday we will be beaten by a pint a man at least.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lads, we conceded more scores in our three Spring games than any other county team in Ireland, and ye think we play too defensively? That's the kind of nonsense I'd expect from two eighty year olds supping at a bar. Let me guess, ye'd be the lads at the match shouting "GIVE IT IN" when there are two forwards and five backs in the full forward line as well?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I heard today that Sunday's Div.3 game is fixed for New Ross, can somebody confirm the venue.

Lone Shark wrote:Another interesting preview here.

http://gaelicfc.blogspot.ie/2014/01/lig ... la-d3.html

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:Lads, we conceded more scores in our three Spring games than any other county team in Ireland, and ye think we play too defensively? That's the kind of nonsense I'd expect from two eighty year olds supping at a bar. Let me guess, ye'd be the lads at the match shouting "GIVE IT IN" when there are two forwards and five backs in the full forward line as well?
Ah but see playing negative tactics and bringing everybody behind the ball does not mean you won't concede scores. Think Tyrone last year.........we could have brought the umpires back behind the ball as well but they were still going to score 357 points (or whatever it was) that day. I just don't want to have to suffer another display like the Tipperary game last year where we had 15 Offaly lads in their own half for most of the match. Its dire stuff to watch. McDonnell needs to use his attacking options. He hasn't particularly impressed as a manager and this year will tell a lot.
Also YES you are correct in assuming I'd be shouting "give it in". Why wouldn't you give it in with Moloney and Nialler lurking about the edge of the square?

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Lads, we conceded more scores in our three Spring games than any other county team in Ireland, and ye think we play too defensively? That's the kind of nonsense I'd expect from two eighty year olds supping at a bar. Let me guess, ye'd be the lads at the match shouting "GIVE IT IN" when there are two forwards and five backs in the full forward line as well?
Ah but see playing negative tactics and bringing everybody behind the ball does not mean you won't concede scores. Think Tyrone last year.........we could have brought the umpires back behind the ball as well but they were still going to score 357 points (or whatever it was) that day. I just don't want to have to suffer another display like the Tipperary game last year where we had 15 Offaly lads in their own half for most of the match. Its dire stuff to watch. McDonnell needs to use his attacking options. He hasn't particularly impressed as a manager and this year will tell a lot.
Also YES you are correct in assuming I'd be shouting "give it in". Why wouldn't you give it in with Moloney and Nialler lurking about the edge of the square?
On your first point yes i would have to agree that it would be nice to see the team play the game the right way but we do not always have the luxury or the personnel to "Play the game the right way", when we reach division 1 we can think about what style to play the game but right now its about maintaining or getting out of division three (whichever is more realistic) would you rather we played fantastic football and got relegated, i guarantee you would be the first person on this forum calling for McDonnells head if that were the case

As for your second point its stone age thinking like that, that has brought Offaly football to such low depths and i would include past board members with this mindset in that statement, i said it before and i'll say it again, what worked in the 80's and 90's will not work in today's game, sadly some old timers cant comprehend that fact

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

SearingDrive wrote:I heard today that Sunday's Div.3 game is fixed for New Ross, can somebody confirm the venue.

Lone Shark wrote:Another interesting preview here.

http://gaelicfc.blogspot.ie/2014/01/lig ... la-d3.html
you see even in wexford they don't play all their games in wexford park :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Possibly weather related if so. Wexford Park isn't hectic in wet weather and Kennedy Park in New Ross is renowned as being an extremely dry pitch.
SearingDrive wrote:I heard today that Sunday's Div.3 game is fixed for New Ross, can somebody confirm the venue.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.