U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Phoenix
All Star

Re: U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Phoenix »

Congratulations to St. Vincents!

A great achievement for a great footballing parish!

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

Footballing parish? Really?

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

Cappincur probably should b with tullamore

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done to the lads, this is the fright that Offaly hurling has needed and now is the time to begin the turnaround on all levels for those interested in getting stuck in.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

What a great day for the parish and what a great way to win a match and a championship! The first u21 championship for St. Vincent's. The parish last had success when St. Coleman's won this championship 29 years ago in 1985.

A gripping match from start to finish. Edenderry went 2.01 to 0.2 very early on against the strong wind and the signs looked ominous. Vincent's looked visibly nervous early on and struggled to find space and tried to run it through a very congested forward line. Shot selection was also poor. Vincent's had 16 wides over the course of the match. As the half wore on Vincent's assumed control, especially in midfield where Carroll and Gethings cleaned up. Disaster at the stroke of half time with Carroll being shown a straight red. Vincent's lead by 5 at half time.

Second half St. Vincent's to a man worked like trojans. Karl Dunne was switched to Edenderry's full forward who had great hands in the air. Jason Gethings did the work of two or three men and was everywhere. An unbelievable performance! The defenders hassled like demons and in one particular exchange forced Edenderry back from the full forward line to out pastthe 45 and over the sideline for a line ball. Shane Tierney was also in top form scoring 6 points and making the forwards tick. The Daingean man in his first year of minor is one to keep an eye out for....an absolute flyer and composed finisher! Being a man short left a lot of space for the forwards and actually suited the Vincent's team compared to congested first half.

A huge sense of joy and relief at the final whistle!! After so many semi final and final defeats over the years! This team has only had 2 successes along the way. A U10 title in 2005 and a minor league title. Only 4 starters are being lost next year also which augurs well!

A senior parish team will be an unavoidable topic now and rightly so. Offaly needs a change and needs a shake up. Why continue with the same old (a flat and predictable senior championship until semi final stage) and expect improvements in the standard of Offaly football???

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

mickey wrote:Footballing parish? Really?

Cappincur probably should b with tullamore
Bitter much?

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Lean Times wrote: A senior parish team will be an unavoidable topic now and rightly so. Offaly needs a change and needs a shake up. Why continue with the same old (a flat and predictable senior championship until semi final stage) and expect improvements in the standard of Offaly football???
They will have to earn senior status first if this is the case. What would happen o the individual clubs?

I do agree that change is needed. The idea of senior A and senior B is a good idea but for Offaly football to improve I think every player in the county should have the opportunity to play at the highest grade. If this means making teams of different club teams so be it.

Why not join junior and intermediate clubs from both north and south offaly together into two teams and let them compete in Senior A or Senior B.

Something has to change!!

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

kaiserchief wrote:
They will have to earn senior status first if this is the case. What would happen o the individual clubs?

Why not join junior and intermediate clubs from both north and south offaly together into two teams and let them compete in Senior A or Senior B.

Something has to change!!
Contradicting yourself?

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

[quote][/quote]

The North & South Offaly combination teams were tried in the late sixties (remember a few lads playing in it & winning Westmeath Under 21 with Rosemount the same year, 1969 I think) but there was very little interest & almost no preparation, at least with the South team I played on. Both were hammered in first round (straight knock-out then)..

The next year they tried "Parish", i.e. players from Inter & Junior clubs in a parish with a senior club could play with the senior club & still play in their own grade with their "Home" club. Was a bit better but tough on lads in a Senior club, playing all year, who got dumped for "visitors" for championship. The other negative was a few who impressed were poached by the senior clubs so at least some of the Inter & Junior clubs pulled out...........

But at least try something to shake things up a bit.

I don't fancy this Senior B thing........... Have Senior, Inter, Junior A etc and if there's to be 8 senior, 8 Inter & 8 Junior A with others in Junior B etc fine if the clubs vote for it.
Senior B, can be for the second teams in Senior clubs, with Inter B etc. Would mean the Inter & Junior winners would be clubs first teams & would have a real chance in Leinster Club..............

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Oceans 15 wrote:
Fargo Boyle wrote:Out of interest is it not hard to get behind a team that has a temporal identity? There is no relation to any of the adult teams and it seems to be a nice thing to win but then they migrate back to their respective clubs and the championship begins the achievement is presumably long forgotten.
What's your point here ???? Most of the teams are parish teams and the players go back and play with their respective clubs i.e Rhode Parish team St. Michaels made up of Rhode, Croghan & Clonmore, St Patricks are Edenderry & Ballyfore, St. Broughans are Bracknagh, Clonbullogue & Walsh Island. Whats the difference between St. Vincents and most of the other teams ?????
Interesting Avator. Could you scroll to the right and down?

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Just to follow up on Fargo Boyle's point, I find it hard to get behind the parish team as a supporter, its just not the same as supporting Daingean as why would I be interested in cheering on players who will be rivals of our club in a couple of years time , i'd really only be interested in how Daingeans players perform in the underage ranks.

It's good to see Vincents win but I didn't even bother going to the match on Saturday and haven't been to and u-21 match since I played in one myself a few years back.back. I've nothing against the parish team at underage level as it is a necessity due to numbers but overall I don't think a parish team at senior level would be a great idea as there are currently 5 football teams in Daingean Parish (and i thought Kilclonfert had a second team for a while) if the clubs amalgamate there will be only 3 teams fielded.The GAA is in my opinion first and foremost about providing as much football and hurling for people as possible and 75 players playing football is better than 45 players playing football.I don't think a parish team for senior level would work as it would remove the incentive for players in each individual club to improve and try and drive their club on to a higher level.If a parish team for Daingean parish was such a good idea then why did the clubs split in the first place.

Anyway that's just a view from a supporters perspective which is of little relevance if a parish team were to be formed as the players are the one's who should have the say when it come down to that as they are the one's putting in the effort .