U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
blinkers
Junior A

Re: U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by blinkers »

Tullamore vs durrow was called off yesterday too. With leagues starting next weekend cant imagine it will be played for a couple of months anyway

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

puzzled wrote:Result from friday night

Gracefield 2-05 Shannon Gaels 0-12

I feel very sorry for Gracefield Under 21 Football Team eliminated after extra time on a pitch that was unplayable in the month of January. Many of these young footballers will have no football for the rest of the year. Eliminating a team in January from the Under 21 Championship does little for the development of football and might be another reason why the GAA has a poor record in the retention of players. Offaly football would be better served if the Under 21 Football Championship was played off in September/October each year.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I agree Sept/Oct would be great.

Then when would play the Senior, Intermediate & Junior ??????????????????

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Play them all at the same time

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Fixtures

Friday 21st February Wheery V St.Vincents in Tubber at 8pm Referee Noel Cooney

Sunday 23rd February Durrow V Tullamore in Durrow at 12noon Referee Damien Brazil

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I don't see any chance that clubs & their managers would play Under 21 the mid-week before Senior games.

If Killeigh & Gracefield want to put the suggestion to a County Board meeting and they get agreement for next year it would be brilliant.

its the time to play football. I can imagine club delegates not having great objections but wait for the screams from some manager who has a county semi on Sunday & 5 to 10 lads playing Under 21 or Wed or Fri !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Sharp Eye wrote:

I feel very sorry for Gracefield Under 21 Football Team eliminated after extra time on a pitch that was unplayable in the month of January. Many of these young footballers will have no football for the rest of the year. Eliminating a team in January from the Under 21 Championship does little for the development of football and might be another reason why the GAA has a poor record in the retention of players. Offaly football would be better served if the Under 21 Football Championship was played off in September/October each year.
yes abit unfair on gracefield how many clubs is Shannon gaels 4 clubs, and Gracefield have a small enough pick.

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

A bit unfair on Gracefield? That makes me laugh.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:

yes abit unfair on gracefield how many clubs is Shannon gaels 4 clubs, and Gracefield have a small enough pick.
Shannon Gaels is two clubs - St Rynaghs and Shannonbridge. They may have got permission players from elsewhere (Lusmagh would be the most likely source, if there were any) but I don't know where you're getting four clubs.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

wouldn't they still have a bigger pick than Gracefield either town on their own. thats my point.
sorry 3 clubs so, its like ST.Micheals 3 clubs win it most years anyway,

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

townman wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:

Not at all like St. Brendans picking from 3 Hurling clubs in the U21 Hurling, Birr, C&R and Crinkill
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes have no problem with that Birr is big enough to go on their own. as would Rynaghs and Shannonbridge in under 21 football there as big if not bigger than gracefield thats my point.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:yes have no problem with that Birr is big enough to go on their own. as would Rynaghs and Shannonbridge in under 21 football there as big if not bigger than gracefield thats my point.
Have you ever been to Shannonbridge? They're picking from little or nothing these days - I'd say Gracefield would have five times the population at the very least.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ssshhhh! Or they'll be out from Burrr looking to see if there's e'er a lad in Shannonbridge who has potential as a hurler.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Populations taken from the 2011 Census -

North Portarlington: 2,372, versus

Shannonbridge : 299, and
Clonmacnois : 336.

Someone with more local knowledge of the Portarlington area might know if Hammerlane (565) and Ballyshear (377) are in Gracefield or Raheen territory.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.