U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Lone Shark »

Just to be clear, I never said it was unfair. It's the same for every club, so there's nothing unfair about it - it's just not ideal. Vincents managed the situation better than Ferbane did, so they got their reward. That said, you will have panels of players where guys are playing with college teams, county under-21 and minor panels, school teams, and all sorts of other distractions, aside from issues with other sports. Every year all the clubs make a commitment to try and get organised in time for the first round, and every year 90% or more of them fail to do so.

Personally I'd prefer to see it played in the late Autumn, when players carry on their training from the SFC and MFC. Your issue then is how to work around the adult county champions and their Leinster campaigns, but that's a lot less of a concern than now, when you have a sizeable set of panels that only meet for the first time on the day of the game.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ballyduff
Junior B

Post by Ballyduff »

I see Durrow failed to field a team for the U21 Championship game against Tullamore this morning. I understand that they only entered a Team to prevent a few lads getting permission to play with Tullamore. Is this not cutting off your nose to spite your face. So now no one in Durrow or Ballinamere will play U21 Football in 2014.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Did anyone hear the draw for the U-21 county championship?

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Quarter Final pairings for Tullamore Court Hotel U21 Football Championship

Clara V St. Patrick’s

St. Manchan’s V St Vincent’s

St. Broughan’s V St. Micheal’s

Shannon Gaels V Tullamore

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Two results from last nights Quarter finals

St.Broughans 4-11 St.Micheals 0-09

St.Vincents 3-18 St. Manchan's Gaels 0-03

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Just to get away from all the doom and gloom for a while...

Edenderry beat St. Broughans by 2 points last weekend to qualify for the county final.

St. Vincents play Tullamore this Friday night in the other semi final. Should be a very good game

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Tullamore vs vincents would be a tight affair if tullamore had no injuries and were picking from a full team but unfortunately they aint. St vincents have been my pick for this championship from a long way out. They have put in a huge effort they should win by 4-6 points but ya never know tullamore could give them a scare.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done to Vincents on a big win over Tullamore in the semi, will be a big win if they can pull it off in the final!

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

St. Vincents had a great win over Tullamore last Friday. As said previously, there's been good work put in by most of this squad and there is a real sense of 'team'.
Don't know what Edenderry are like but they will have to bring an A game to challenge the Daingean Parish team. History beckons for the Saffrons.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Can someone tell me when did the U21 Daingean parish team become St Vincents? It used to be called St Colemans or something like that? They were hugely successful in the 80s winning 3 championships. I remember it as a seperate club to the adult and Vincents clubs. Also use they not wear blue or some similar colour?

Out of interest is it not hard to get behind a team that has a temporal identity? There is no relation to any of the adult teams and it seems to be a nice thing to win but then they migrate back to their respective clubs and the championship begins the achievement is presumably long forgotten.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Up to a few years ago it was St. Colmans, but some rule change at county level made it able to be run under the entity of St. Vincent's. It used to have to be run by one of the senior clubs, normally Daingean.
The colours are Saffron/White as worn by St. Vincents but I'm sure they've worn blue (ballycommon) white (cappincur) maroon (daingean) or gold of kilclonfert at some stage as St.Colmans.
As for allegiance and fan support, this is something that has evolved and moving forward both on and off the field. Firstly all these boys have played together from probably 8 years or age and really St. Vincents is their first team. Over the past few years and very recently, there have been moves to form a senior parish team to allow these players continue playing together and as a news step in football ability. A lot of this move has been pushed by the players.
Members of the 4 parish clubs have shown increasingly over the years to support all the St.Vincents teams and I think more go to a Vincents match that a senior club match!
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

The final on saturday to :oops: as well as the minor and senior hurlers out the same evening
county board are some Gobshites it shows they haven't a clue or don't give a flying sh.t about
the county teams. :(

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Not a fear of anyone involved in that U21 final going to Thurles Sat/Sun/Mon to see Offaly play Kerry in hurling.
Fact, nobody following our county teams. So all from the hurling clubs who have players involved can head down and support the team.
On the other hand , this is the first year in a long time that the County Board and the clubs have shown this competition any respect and its great for the players to get this played in advance of the Club Championship. A St Vincents win would be a great boost to football in NA Fianna, Broughans who are all going to win championships in the coming years.

Let Offaly win in Thurles, and let the U21 football be played, both important to diferent people for different reasons.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

Fargo Boyle wrote:Out of interest is it not hard to get behind a team that has a temporal identity? There is no relation to any of the adult teams and it seems to be a nice thing to win but then they migrate back to their respective clubs and the championship begins the achievement is presumably long forgotten.
What's your point here ???? Most of the teams are parish teams and the players go back and play with their respective clubs i.e Rhode Parish team St. Michaels made up of Rhode, Croghan & Clonmore, St Patricks are Edenderry & Ballyfore, St. Broughans are Bracknagh, Clonbullogue & Walsh Island. Whats the difference between St. Vincents and most of the other teams ?????

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Oceans 15 wrote:
Fargo Boyle wrote:Out of interest is it not hard to get behind a team that has a temporal identity? There is no relation to any of the adult teams and it seems to be a nice thing to win but then they migrate back to their respective clubs and the championship begins the achievement is presumably long forgotten.
What's your point here ???? Most of the teams are parish teams and the players go back and play with their respective clubs i.e Rhode Parish team St. Michaels made up of Rhode, Croghan & Clonmore, St Patricks are Edenderry & Ballyfore, St. Broughans are Bracknagh, Clonbullogue & Walsh Island. Whats the difference between St. Vincents and most of the other teams ?????
Some are not even Parish teams, just random imalgamations. Wheary for 1.... The only non imalgamation team is Tullamore that I can think of, and they were last year.