2014 O'Byrne Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

2014 O'Byrne Cup

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly against UCD this Sunday in the Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup.
Any word on what the team might be?

Fixtures:
The Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup S.F. 2014 - GROUP A

1. Wexford v Laois 5.1.2014 New Ross 2.00
2. Offaly v U.C.D. 5.1.2014 Tullamore 2.00
3. Laois v Offaly 8.1.2014 Portlaoise 7.45
4. U.C.D. v Wexford 8.1.2014 St. Patricks Enniscorthy 7.45
5. Laois v U.C.D. 12.1.2014 Portarlington 2.00
6. Offaly v Wexford 12.1.2014 Tullamore TBC

Killeighman
All Star

Re: 2014 O'Byrne Cup

Post by Killeighman »

I would love to see a number of new faces given a run out today. I think it is important for these new faces to be introduced as it is about rebuilding a good squad for league and championship where everyone is push hard for places. If there is no competition players will get complacent as they know there place on the team is safe

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Another year is up and running. Couldnt make the game yesterday but from what I got from the radio was a decent first half showing with all scores from play? Second half fade out, but showed good character to get the win. Anyone able to post up the team?
Will be a tough game v Laois who were surprising well beaten by Wexford in Portlaoise.
One of the early concerns was our u21s beaten 1-12 to 08 on Saturday. Hope that the u21s get more attention than appeared to be the case last year.
Think the aim will be to get a few decent performances and try out a few players, with the need for a few lads to be able to make the step up quickly. Div 3 is a tough gig for us and survival while blooding a few new players would define success imo. Cavan, Wex, Ros are improving sides and will give us a good steer of where we are. One thing needs to change though is the inablity to keep the scoreboard ticking over, yesterday for example, we kicked 10 points in first half (all from play I think), and second half, dont think we scored in 25mins and not sure if we scored from play?
Would like to know how much fitness played a factor with UCD at full tilt you would expect with Sigerson coming up shortly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Good to see Offaly manage to find the extra gear at the end when UCD had reeled them in and drawn level late on.
Emmett McDonnell reckoned UCD didn't tire as quickly as they've more games under their belt.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Taken from Hogan Stand

Offaly 0-13
UCD 0-12

Two late Nigel Dunne frees saw Offaly edge out UCD in a hard-fought Group A encounter at O'Connor Park.

Faithful boss Emmett McDonnell was a relieved man after seeing his side surrender a five-point (0-5 to 0-10) half-time lead. UCD's Conor Downey was the only player to be issued with a black card by referee Maurice Deegan.

With Peter Cunningham and Dunne to the fore, the hosts bossed the first half. However, it was a different story in the second period when John Heslin, Paul Kingston and Paul Mannion spearheaded the students' revival.

UCD looked the most likely winners when Meath's Shane McEntee levelled the game at 0-11 each with 11 minutes to go, but Dunne had the final say for the winners.

Offaly - A Mulhall; D Brady, P McConway, J O'Connor; E Carroll (0-1), S Delaney, N Darby; J Brickland, R Allen; G Guilfoyle (0-1), P Cunningham, C Hurley (0-2); N Dunne (0-6, 5f), J Moloney (0-1), N McNamee (0-2). Subs: C Egan for Delaney, K Casey for Moloney, N Smith for Brickland, P Sullivan for Hurley, D Kelly for Allen.

UCD - J B Carty; O Fitzpatrick, R Tierney, A English; C Lenehan, P Reilly (0-1), D Devereux; M Hanlon, J Heslin (0-3, 2f); E Monaghan, P Mannion (0-2f), J Toher (0-2, 1'45); R Basquel (0-1), M Hughes, P Kingston (0-2). Subs: P Harnan for Lenehan, C Downey for Monaghan, A Murphy for Devereux, R Tone for O'Hanlon, D Byrne for Fitzpatrick, S McEntee (0-1) for Downey (BC).

Referee - M Deegan.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good to see Niall Smith back on board hope he gives it 100 per cent as he has the makings of an good midfielder for offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I hear there will be a few changes to the offaly line up for laois tomorrow night

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Mulhall happy to be an Offaly poacher who has turned goalkeeper

LIAM KELLY – 08 JANUARY 2014

OFFALY'S poacher turned goalkeeper Alan Mulhall expects a lively encounter with neighbours Laois in the O'Byrne Cup at Portlaoise tonight (7.30).

And despite the relatively low-key nature of the fixture at the time of year when managers are sifting through players and tuning up for the league, Mulhall anticipates an extra competitive edge.

The game brings together two teams with something to prove, albeit that win, lose, or draw, the outcome will have no major bearing on the season.

Offaly got off to a winning start on Sunday, beating UCD by a point, and want to add to that momentum.

Laois, under the new management of Kerryman Tomas O Flatharta, weren't happy to lose to Wexford by 2-13 to 0-11, though they were missing some of their top men, including injured trio Ross Munnelly, Colm Boyle and Colm Begley.

Then there's the bragging rights that will focus the attention.

"Offaly and Laois is never going to be that tame, particularly where I'm coming from," said Mulhall.

"I went to school in Laois. I know all the Gracefield boys and the Bracknell boys would have all gone to school in and around Laois too, so there'd be a bit of bite because we'd know a good few of the boys we'd be playing against.

"The new rules will have some effect, but they've a new manager, and they're going to want to impress him.

"We're only in our second year with Emmet (McDonnell), and it is Laois versus Offaly, so I can't see it being too tame."

The 31-year-old has consistently been around the top echelons of the Offaly scoring charts in club fare, and was originally drafted in to the Faithful panel as a forward.

However, for the last five years since he returned from a couple of seasons out through injury, he has been first-choice county goalkeeper, barring a few games in 2012 as a forward. The period of outfield duty came at the behest of then-manager Gerry Cooney.

Cooney was looking to add some firepower to the attack, but by the time the league and Cooney's reign ended, Mulhall was back wearing the No 1 jersey.

"Being a forward for the club does help a bit with the county, because you probably read the forwards, they'd probably be thinking the way you would yourself when you're playing there," he said.

"But, the main thing is, I like playing with Offaly. I want to be on the team.

"I know my limitations and I'm happy to be in goal."

Mulhall's day job is as games manager with the county board, and a key part of that role is helping to develop football and hurling at grassroots level.

"Size is an issue for us and that's particularly relevant in minor hurling and football where we just don't have the numbers compared to the bigger population centres, but we have some good players coming through," he said.

"We have a very good set-up at senior level and I believe that on our day we're as good as any of the teams out there."

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Ok i know people will be annoyed with the loss tonight but when you put it into context it was actually a good performance from the team, Laois are a division 2 side who finished third last year while we are just coming into division 3 football and while we tailed off near the end of the game we were still competitive right up until the last ten minutes of the game.

It was very heartening to see the lads fight back from five points down in the middle of the second half and but for a soft free that broke our momentum we could have brought Laois down to the wire however...

There were negatives like the fact that Laois could have had any number of goals in the game, our back line continues to be a problem and Emmet Mcdonnell will have to do more work on the defensive end before the start of the national league, that doesn't mean we have to play the blanket defence it just means he might have to look at bringing in more experienced players in the back division at least until the younger guys get settled in but then again i suppose thats what the O' Byrne cup is there for

The younger players will learn a lot from this game too and another good performance against Wexford and we'll be in good shape for division 3

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

seem to be a cracker on the radio, i think vinny Claffey said laois could had 5 goals or more which is a worry, Billy Sheehan got 0-4 points from play tonight i think that says it all really :oops: .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly started the game at great pace and went 2 points up and then gifted Laois a goal with some terrible play between the backs and Mulhall . We struggled in the backline for the whole game especially in the full backline where we could have leaked alot more goals but for some luck. Peter Cunningham for me was our stand out forward and scored some lovely points and covered alot of ground all night, I thought Niall McNamee should have been taken off at half time as he wasnt at the races at all, I would like to see him concentrate on his football now and maybe give the blogging a break for a while. Dont get me wrong its great hes dealing with his addiction and that him coming out and telling about it will help others but for me blogging every week is only putting more pressure on himself , we need him back to his best if we are going to have any chance this year and tonight was the worse game ive ever seen him play, I know the weather was shit and its only o byrne cup so hopefully he will be firing on all cylinders come championship. Niall Geraghty did well and scored nice point when he came on,overall good work out.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

kingscounty wrote: I thought Niall McNamee should have been taken off at half time as he wasnt at the races at all, I would like to see him concentrate on his football now and maybe give the blogging a break for a while. Dont get me wrong its great hes dealing with his addiction and that him coming out and telling about it will help others but for me blogging every week is only putting more pressure on himself , we need him back to his best if we are going to have any chance this year and tonight was the worse game ive ever seen him play, I know the weather was shit and its only o byrne cup so hopefully he will be firing on all cylinders come championship.
I understand your point here and agree that having Niall perform to the best of his abilities will give us a chance to advance Offaly football. It is important to keep in mind that this is only one game (you mention it is early in the season on a tough night yourself) and he is a well marked man whenever and wherever we play. A player of his caliber is rarely kept down for long. I'd be cautious in correlating his blog with what happens on the field. What might create pressure for some, could be therapeutic for others. He should be left to do as he wishes in this regard, it is only fair.

Again, like you, I wish him the best with his well documented challenges first and foremost. Terrorizing defenses come championship, would be a great bonus to hope for!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Kevin wrote:
kingscounty wrote: I thought Niall McNamee should have been taken off at half time as he wasnt at the races at all, I would like to see him concentrate on his football now and maybe give the blogging a break for a while. Dont get me wrong its great hes dealing with his addiction and that him coming out and telling about it will help others but for me blogging every week is only putting more pressure on himself , we need him back to his best if we are going to have any chance this year and tonight was the worse game ive ever seen him play, I know the weather was shit and its only o byrne cup so hopefully he will be firing on all cylinders come championship.
I understand your point here and agree that having Niall perform to the best of his abilities will give us a chance to advance Offaly football. It is important to keep in mind that this is only one game (you mention it is early in the season on a tough night yourself) and he is a well marked man whenever and wherever we play. A player of his caliber is rarely kept down for long. I'd be cautious in correlating his blog with what happens on the field. What might create pressure for some, could be therapeutic for others. He should be left to do as he wishes in this regard, it is only fair.

Again, like you, I wish him the best with his well documented challenges first and foremost. Terrorizing defenses come championship, would be a great bonus to hope for!
I agree with you totally , I'm not knocking his blog at all or saying what he should or shouldn't do. I'm just sick of hearing lads snearing and making remarks about him when he's kicking ball , like last night he caught a ball took a shot and went wide and then all ya here is ah sure he probably had a bet on himself to do that. It's January and it was good game to get to prepare for league , from the team last night is there many lads to come back onto the panel?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Here are a couple of points, I'd like to make in response to the above posts.

1. Niall McNamee had an extended break this winter, so he is a little behind in training in comparison to the rest of the panel. I think this was a very smart move and will get long term gains from this break later on in the year. I would put a poor performance down to that, rather than 'blogging'.
2. Kings County - If you heard people making fun of his addiction, then I would say that you should have done something about it. turn around and let them know that you think their comments are out of order, that they are making fun of a very serious situation and such comments should not be acceptable. If they react to you in a negative way, don't worry about it. Make your point and move on. At least you didn't just stand back and let them go unchecked.
3. I don't see any harm in him writing a blog about his life whatsoever. I don't feel that it is putting any extra pressure on him. In fact, I would say that expressing your thoughts is more of a relief than anything. In a blog format, you can control what message you get out there and what you want to communicate. I'm sure Niall is more than capable of concentrating on football as well as writing a blog.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Lets treat the O'Byrne Cup for what it is - an early season warm up tournament that is good grounding for the league and subsequent championship.

A bit of focus on the areas we were poor on, and rightly praise the areas we were good on.

If our best player and captain decides to write in his spare time what I would describe as a very honest,admirable and at times a bone jarringly stark appraisal of his time as a gambler well then I have nothing but respect for the guy.

It has nothing to do with his football and i doubt very much it has an effect on his game.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything