OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by Observant 7 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Nolan would be Emmet Nolan from Birr. Right half-back on Offaly's 2012 MInors. Wasn't on the U21s last year. Started the County Final at centre half-forward.

I wasn't at the recent Birr v St Rynagh's SHC match so I can't vouch for his recent form.
allstar2010 wrote:Pardon my ignorance Toxicity but who is Nolan?
As I have mentioned several times before - you cannot judge lads because they were not on the Minor or U21 teams over the past four years - some of Offaly's best hurlers of that age were sitting on the bench under the Managements of Joe Cleary(minor) & Ger Coughlan (U21) and I would hope we don't still have good hurlers on the benches. Offaly really need hurlers who know how to hurl on the pitch these days. Terrible to read Toxicity's report on current management. Can we ever get it right?

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

All Star 2010, I'll take that challenge if you allow me to pick it in this format:

Goalie

6 Backs:

Midfield:

6 Forwards

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

kinnittyman wrote:All Star 2010, I'll take that challenge if you allow me to pick it in this format:

Goalie

6 Backs:

Midfield:

6 Forwards
Go for it... :D

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Allstar2010 asked a question and I chose to answer that question, using facts to introduce Emmet. That is all.
Observant 7 wrote:As I have mentioned several times before - you cannot judge lads because they were not on the Minor or U21 teams over the past four years - some of Offaly's best hurlers of that age were sitting on the bench under the Managements of Joe Cleary(minor) & Ger Coughlan (U21) and I would hope we don't still have good hurlers on the benches. Offaly really need hurlers who know how to hurl on the pitch these days. Terrible to read Toxicity's report on current management. Can we ever get it right?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

plain of the herbs Yes I know you just answered the question who Nolan is but I just added an explaination why he may not have been on the U21 last year. I was explaining Nolan may have been good enough but still not selected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its my opinion only - and that is always what I give - my opinion only. I don't even know what Nolan is like as a hurler!!!!

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Nolan was asked into the Under 21 set up last year but never went in. As was Conor Doughan

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

it looks like b whelahan has still to settle on a team never mind his best 15.
i guess he will play rory at full back morkam at centre and a running midfield . i cant see any stopper or man marker on his team ,
the camros lads always said whelahan was abusive and drained him of any self belief .offaly hurlers are very tender now and need to be nursed not kicked . the sad thing is we have lost most of the good u 25 and there our future but they know it hopeless .
were on life suport hope kilkenny dont kill us

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

allstar2010 wrote:
kinnittyman wrote:All Star 2010, I'll take that challenge if you allow me to pick it in this format:

Goalie

6 Backs:

Midfield:

6 Forwards
Go for it... :D

Goalkeeper: James Dempsey

Backs: Niall Wynne, Rory Hanniffy, James Rigney, Cathal Parlon, Del Morkam, Barry Harding

Midfield: Thomas Geraghty, Sean Ryan

Forwards: Stephen Quirke, Jospeh Bergin, Shane Dooley, Conor Mahon, Brian Carroll, Daniel Currams

However if we are going to play a sweeper it will be Kevin Connolly at the expense of Stephen Quirke/Daniel Currams.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

In this case, Observant7, your explanation (which you admit is mere speculation on your part) is incorrect. KIng Kev is running on the right track. So it's not always a case of 'the management must have been incompetent'.

I should also point out that it is an amateur game and there is no obligation on players to join a County panel when asked. Perhaps the chaps named had good reason - exam commitments, travelling, recuperating from injury or the like.
Observant 7 wrote:plain of the herbs Yes I know you just answered the question who Nolan is but I just added an explaination why he may not have been on the U21 last year. I was explaining Nolan may have been good enough but still not selected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its my opinion only - and that is always what I give - my opinion only. I don't even know what Nolan is like as a hurler!!!!
King Kev wrote:Nolan was asked into the Under 21 set up last year but never went in. As was Conor Doughan
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

The 15 we will have kilkenny

Dempsey
Rigney hannify wynne
Parlon morkan harding
Ryan connolly
Dooley mahon gerathy
Quirke bergin carroll
Last edited by babsandbond on Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

my guess the team will be
j demsey
n wynne r haniffy j rigney
c parlon d morkam b harding
s ryan k connolly
b carroll c mahon c egan
d currams j bergin s dooley

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

i would make my guess as this being the team.

j demsey
n wynne
r haniffy
j rigney
c parlon
c egan
d morkam
s ryan
k connolly
b carroll
c mahon
j bergin
s quirke
d currams
s dooley

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

My personal point of view i cant see why everyone picks parlon at wing back. The lad has an inability to hurl there. He is a liability and gets caught out everytime he plays there.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Baker hurl him there last year, and he will be there this year, and theres not much better in the county it seems.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Sorry lads, busy in work so didn't get back.
Nolan (Birr young hurler) played well when he was let do his own thing. He look like a lad that in 2 year he be ready for inter-county hurling but I have him ahead for Parlon at wing back any day but only for one reason. Parlon carry the ball into the tackle too much. (but that could be the tactics).
Whelehan said at the start of the year that if you didn't do winter training you couldn't be picked. 3 lads add to the panel when the winter training is over.
Of the 45 that started training. Who many are left??

Rigney has left the Panel, only heard second hand.
Can anyone confirm???
Anyone know the reason why??
“Common sense is not so common.”