OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by Toxicity234 »

“Common sense is not so common.”

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

x
Last edited by boomcha on Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I hope he plays as he would be a welcome addition to the midfield, forwards and maybe the half backs

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

old yellar wrote: Note to management - ground hurling dont work!
Thanks for your report on this and the best to MLR in their quest.

Just wondering OY, was there quite a bit of weedwacking going on at this or was it just that when it did happen the usual results were realized?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

They pulled a bit on the ground alright. At times they could have gone down on the ball. Poor decisions at times to do it. No success from it really apart from moving the ball to at best another 50/50 situation. I rem one mlr ground stroke - other than a flick out, whereas i rem a few offaly ones. Some in there hback line.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

old yellar wrote:They pulled a bit on the ground alright. At times they could have gone down on the ball. Poor decisions at times to do it. No success from it really apart from moving the ball to at best another 50/50 situation. I rem one mlr ground stroke - other than a flick out, whereas i rem a few offaly ones. Some in there hback line.
Ground passes are good, ground pulls not so much.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

is that diarmuid horan not for tipperary ?
hope im wrong and he is offalys diarmuid horan back hurling in ireland.
he is such a talent , we would be a different team with diarmuid horan fit and fulfilling his potental.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Great scoring 6 goals and all that but 13 points against a club side is really not good enough. Really need to start finding a settled team and playing to a plan. Leaking 22 scores also not good enough. I know it was a challenge game but Offaly have been conceding big scores in recent years. Has to be sorted.

Agree with comment about Rigney at 6. IMO he is a number 4. Leave him there. We cant underestimate the importance of having a top class centre back who knows the position inside out. Watkins not the answer either.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

David Kenny for 6?

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

No reflection on Brian Whelehan and his team (still early days) but is it time OCB strongly consider going outside the County for Manager's Am I right in saying that All Ireland Winning Teams from Offaly were managed by outside Managers. Listening to Padraig Boland's interview on Radio 3 this morning Offaly have a management team ready and waiting to take on the U21 Hurlers for 2014 but no one willing to take on the Managers job! Hate to say especially at times when it appears there is difficulity in getting a Manager but how many of these willing to go on the management for U21 hurling who won't take the job of Boss are there for their own interests? (hate to say this because some may have County's interests in mind) Judging by past years plenty willing to stand beside the Manager with suggestions to meet their own agenda! Teams should have Managers, Selectors etc with no personal interest - otherwise we will continue with todays hurling problems!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

we have done that to Ollie Baker last two years, Mike Mac, John McIntryne, FR.Fogarthy, last all ireland we got to in 2000 Pat Fleury was over us, the talent is just not there at the moment sadly
even if Cody was over us we still be struggling.underage is a problem to with no leinster wins in any grade since 2000. have done well in leinster club over the last few years but inter county hurling is
a different kettle of fish.

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

Townsman I said Management including Manager not Manager from outside my intention is with no hidden agenda as an outsider, are you sure the best hurlers with talant was chosen in the past? Some would question who the correct 15 should be selected!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

By the way, on looking up the structure for the league relegation for 2014 it appears that we will play the play off away to Antrim.
The rational is as follows,
Where there is a playoff, if one team has had 2 home games face a team that has had 3 home games, then home advantage goes to the team with the 2 home games which would be Antrim (away to Offaly, Laois, Limerick).

Seems strange way to decide as its swings and roundabouts (or should be!!) re fixtures from year to year. However cant complain too much as we have no one to blame but ourselves, and we knew this situation could arise. Given Cork had such a battle up there, I would think we would be up against it.

What it effectively means either way is the there will be no relevance at all with our last game at home to Antrim. Chance to give squad members a game and a chance to step up given some of the poor displays.

Don Hurley
Junior A

Post by Don Hurley »

Kilkenny vs Offaly is the first game on Sky

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

All the more reason to get rid of Sky!! Oh dear...

Still though, the darkest day is before the dawn....., will still head down there to it!