OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
timber
All Star

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by timber »

Quick question for ye. How many of the county panel are on Fitzgibbon cup teams? And who are subs for their colleges?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I didnt hear anything about u21 management yet. Conor clancy, barry harding, sean gardiner and tom carroll all start for carlow IT. David magner from ballinamere starts corner back for NUIG

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Peter and thomas Gergathy was on the subs for his college, I think it was UL.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="Toxicity234"]With a second and third team of
C. Slevin - Clancy

N. Wynne - michael Cleary
G. Helaion - Paul Cleary
D. Horan - D. Kelleher

S. Ryan - D. King
D. Shorrtt - S. Couglhan
S. Gardiner - P. Camon

G. Haniffey - C. Doughan
K. Brady - Gary Conneely

C. Slevin - Sean Dolan
D. Molloy - Damien Egan
Tom Carroll - Barry Harding

Brian Carroll - Kevin Connelly
C. Parlon - Paddy Mullins.
T. Geraghy - S. Cleary.

and i still haven't used Eanna and paddy murphy. Dylan hayden, Stephen Egan, Colm Coughlan or Mark Egan.

But the real plus is that in almost every position there is a player pushing for a place. It great to see.
I think Connelly could push his way into midfield. need to be more aggressive in his play but the more games he plays the better he get.
IS Molloy gone off the panel? Slevin will have a big job getting into this Offaly Team but he still has something to Offer to the squad.
Kelleher will want that full back spot. Thomas Geraghty will be pushing for one of the comer forward positions as will Kevin Connelly. Niall Wynne has being great a corner back of far this year mcdonald will have to watch his back.
Lots of good questions this year?[/quote

theres alot of them not in with the county problem is Sid will only have 26 to pick for his league panel. hope he keeps the new young players that got playing time in the Walsh cup instead of going back to the same old same old.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Anyone know where this Dublin challenge game is on?

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Toxicity234 wrote:With a second and third team of
C. Slevin - Clancy

N. Wynne - michael Cleary
G. Helaion - Paul Cleary
D. Horan - D. Kelleher

S. Ryan - D. King
D. Shorrtt - S. Couglhan
S. Gardiner - P. Camon

G. Haniffey - C. Doughan
K. Brady - Gary Conneely

C. Slevin - Sean Dolan
D. Molloy - Damien Egan
Tom Carroll - Barry Harding

Brian Carroll - Kevin Connelly
C. Parlon - Paddy Mullins.
T. Geraghy - S. Cleary.

and i still haven't used Eanna and paddy murphy. Dylan hayden, Stephen Egan, Colm Coughlan or Mark Egan.

But the real plus is that in almost every position there is a player pushing for a place. It great to see.
I think Connelly could push his way into midfield. need to be more aggressive in his play but the more games he plays the better he get.
IS Molloy gone off the panel? Slevin will have a big job getting into this Offaly Team but he still has something to Offer to the squad.
Kelleher will want that full back spot. Thomas Geraghty will be pushing for one of the comer forward positions as will Kevin Connelly. Niall Wynne has being great a corner back of far this year mcdonald will have to watch his back.
Lots of good questions this year?
Little bit off the point but I do think Offaly should be entering the Intermediate Championship and giving some of these lads a chance to play for the county and maybe impress the senior manager. Also maybe give a young and an upcoming manager a chance to work with players of a county standard. But it would have to be done properly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes it would be a good move its a while since we were in the leinster championship.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I agree it would be a very good move

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Finally found out challenge game v Dublin was in Parnells at 1pm today which was great for me as I was driving past there at 1245!
Team was:
Slevin
Couhghlan Kelleher Wynne
Watkins Healion Doughan
Brady Parlon
Harding Currams Egan
Carroll Gardiner Connolly

Real winter stuff. Pitch looked as good as you could expect for this time of year but was very soft especially around the edges. Dublin seemed to have a second string out - didn't recognise too many of them. Half time score was Dublin 4g 4p Offaly 0g 8p which was not a fair reflection of the game as it was very even. Dublin scored goals from two 20m frees - a gale was behind the striker and a blinding sun in the defence's eyes so no fault there. The Offaly defence was under huge pressure with long clearances and huge puckouts dropping around the 13m line but coped very well. Brian Carroll scored 6 points (5f) and Currams and Connolly got the other 2.
The second half saw a raft of changes and I stopped counting subs after ten had come on. Offaly closed the gap fairly quickly and 2 goals put our noses in front - one of them a cracker from Coneeley. We were 3 up with 10mins to go and won by 4-10 to 2-17. Could have won by more but tried for too many monster points from outside halfway.
Couldn't read too much into this game because of conditions/fitness/substitutions but I did like the work rate from everyone and we seemed to have improved in our tackling. We didn't give away too many frees with silly mistakes although that could be down to the ref letting things go in the best challenge game tradition. He even offered to let the game go on for an extra 10mins but Daly (watching from the balcony) declined. Offaly definitely looked short of fitness but I suppose that is to be expected and I'm sure they'll be flying when conditions improve.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

a wins a win good to see so many players get a run, Sid will have a job to pick his league squad
we will know more after next weekends game in the league.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Regarding the size of the squad it will obviously have to be trimmed for match days. However I did overhear someone saying the training squad will remain at its current size for the moment so at least lads are not being ruled out just yet.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

how did Currams hurl, i see himself and Joe Bergin are in the leinster panel under Joe Dooley.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

dubbiff wrote:Regarding the size of the squad it will obviously have to be trimmed for match days. However I did overhear someone saying the training squad will remain at its current size for the moment so at least lads are not being ruled out just yet.
Over the moon to hear this.
“Common sense is not so common.”

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Currams only played the 1st half I think and scored a nice point but overall did not impose himself on proceedings. Could be because of his positioning at centre forward maybe?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Any word on how bergin played?