Schools hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

Schools hurling

Post by old yellar »

Happened to be in dr cullen today to see the leinster junior colleges b final with st marys enniscorthy and banagher college. V good game decided by decisive goals for st marys. They won 3 10 to 1 7 in the end but banagher had plenty of the ball and fought to the final whistle. Good mix of clubs as you d expect from a school team but was impressed by the lusmagh contingent inparticular. Good sign for a small club. The team was well drilled and played a good brand of hurling. St marys had 2 6ft plus men at 6 and 8 and they could hurl too. A tasty fullback and full forward too. The banagher goal pulled off a v good save from him in the second half. Banagher had handy lads in a few spots but a ten min spell killed their chances in the first half. Hard luck but well done to all involved on the day.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Re: Schools hurling

Post by dubbiff »

I had a young lad playing for Ard Scoil against Banagher in the semi. Wasn't at the match myself but from what he says (and he is usually spot on) the winning of the game was the full forward who bagged two goals in the first half and did what he liked. Banagher ran out easy winners but the thing that concerned me was he reckoned that the Offaly boys were probably the most unfit team he has played against. Obviously the hurling won out on that day but going forward you would have to hope that strength and conditioning would improve. Old Yellar, did you think that St Marys had an obvious fitness advantage in the final?

old yellar
All Star

Re: Schools hurling

Post by old yellar »

No. I didnt think fitness was a huge factor myself. St marys has a physically stronger team especially at 6 & 8. And these lads could hurl. 2 lads 6ft sort of size. Banagher probably had more possesion but st marys got key goals. The breeze was a factor too. I dunno does fitness be a real issue with lads 14/15 yrs of age especially in hurling. It wasnt a factor here i thought anyhow.