2013 - The year in review

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
I am Tony McTague
Junior C

Re: 2013 - The year in review

Post by I am Tony McTague »

Why aren't I in it?

Them lads there wouldn't be fit to lace my boots......

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thought you were busy getting your boots laced down in Laois nowadays anyway Tony??!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Excellent stuff HSM

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I went in to O'Connor Park last night to a presentation of medals to the underage football U14 and U16 squads. There was a huge turnout (about 200 people) with parents and family of all the players there with tea and finger food on offer which was a nice touch. It was fierce encouraging to see some success at underage as there were three trophies on display, one U14 cup and 2 U16 cups. The highlight for me however was the sense of positivity around the place. Without getting carried away, there seems to be genuine reason for optimism with the football development squads and from the info given out, it appears that Offaly are starting to do things right which is encouraging. Alan Mulhall and the Co board hierarchy were present and the chairman said some encouraging things and the medals were presented by footballer of year Paul McConway who also spoke.

The positivity comes from some of the results gained and what is going on. All teams have started on strength and conditioning programmes from the age of 14 which shows a little foresight which is great. There was a rolling screen also of a lot of the results over the year for the 2 teams. The U14 football team only lost one game the whole year (to Meath) and won a trophy in the process. The under 16 team won the Fr Manning Cup for the first time ever this year and also won a blitz competition. It was stated that this team have only lost 4 matches in the last 3 years and have played about 30 in total which is fierce encouraging. They also said that Kildare, Meath and all the teams in Leinster bar Dublin have never beaten Offaly in competitive matches which is great. They said also that Offaly were the 1st team to beat Tipperary in 3 years (who won Munster at U14 and U15 level) and that we are one of the best teams in the country at this age group and would be one of the favourites to win Leinster and or All Ireland in 2 yrs at minor level. These lads need to be kept together, and with Paschal Kelllaghan now with next years minors, expectations will be high for this group to achieve something in the next 2 years while there is more hope with a good team coming 2 years behind them.

Overall it was an excellent evening and i came out thinking that finally, there seems to be a genuine move to do things properly after years of mismanagement. Hopefully this will continue.......We are often very quick to criticise the county board (I know i am) so i just thought i'n fairness to them, credit where it is due. I hope that this success continues and maybe we might have a good day out in Croker sometime soon. Again, well done to all concerned.
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Yep, there is a lot of positives to be taken from the results at U14 and U16. Obviously it might not necessarily lead to future success at the older brackets, but it should be acknowledged that a lot of good people are doing good work.

Great topic to add it to! :mrgreen:

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Great post jimbob.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Good to end the year on a positive.
Well done to HSM also.You must have enjoyed I'm a celebrity also...!
Best wishes to all over xmas and new year.
See y'all in 2014