Offaly's 2000 Minor & U21 lineouts

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly's 2000 Minor & U21 lineouts

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Boomcha inquired for the 2000 minor and U21 lineouts. Rather than hijack the Leinster Club hurling and football thread I’ll give this one of its own.

The team for the 2000 Leinster Minor Final was:-
Shane O’Connor;
Adrian Clancy, Daniel Minnock, Barry Teehan;
Enda Grimes, Joe Brady (capt.), Stephen Brown;
Eoghan Carroll, Neville Coughlan;
Brian Carroll, Ger Rafferty, Michael Cordial;
Kevin Kelly, Rory Hanniffy, Jason Larkin.
Subs were: Séamus McDonald, John Clendennen, Martin Corcoran, Kevin Cummins, Colin Dunne, Ger Gardiner, Andrew Hall, Austen Lynch, Brendan O’Meara.
Management was: Paddy Kirwan (manager), Alan Walsh and Frank Whelahan.

I recall Dylan Hayden was added to the panel for the All-Ireland semi-final against Galway.

Dublin, with much media fanfare beforehand, featured Gary Maguire, Liam Óg Ó hÉineacháin, Conal Keaney and David O’Callaghan. Much was expected of Shane O’Neill who scored 3-2 in their semi-final win over Wexford. His only meaningful contribution to the game was to get put off for a few bad strokes in the Offaly goalmouth.

The Galway Minor team who beat Offaly in the subsequent All-Ireland semi-final featured Tony Óg Regan, Shane Kavanagh, Ger Farragher & Damien Hayes.

The Offaly U21 team that beat Kilkenny in the Leinster final six days later was:-
Shane O’Connor;
David Moran, Mick O’Hara (capt.), John Paul O’Meara;
David Franks, Willie Comerford, Stephen Brown;
Aidan Hanrahan, Declan Tanner,
Paul Molloy, Conor Gath, Brendan Murphy;
Rory Hanniffy, Eoin McGuinness, Damien Murray.
Subs were: Jason Ryan, Shane Horan, Joe Brady, Gary O’Connor, Richie McRedmond, David Carney, Paul Carroll, Paddy Teehan, Brian Troy.
Management was: Percy Clendennen (manager), Joe O’Connor and Ger Brereton.

The Kilkenny team featured Jamie Power in goal, Paul Shefflin, Noel Hickey & Mick Kavanagh in the full-back line, Micheál Hoyne & Aidan Cummins at 5 & 6 respectively. Henry Shefflin was unable to start owing to injury but something tells me he came on late in the game.

I missed that game but I still recall Dermot Crowe’s report in the next day’s ‘Sindo’ when he wrote (I’m paraphrasing) that the attendance witnessed a match they’d remember for the rest of their lives. I wonder is that piece available online.

By the time Offaly’s All-Ireland semi-final with Galway came around, Mick O’Hara (who was also a Senior panellist) had done his cruciate for the first time. Shane Horan came into the lineup and Seán Ormond and John McLoughney were added to the panel.

That Galway team was led by Eoin McDonagh, Diarmuid Cloonan, Derek Hardinam, and David Tierney.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

boomcha

Re: Offaly's 2000 Minor & U21 lineouts

Post by boomcha »

Great stuff, I was going to ask for the subs too, on the other thread, but thought nobody would have all those details, thanks very much POTH, what a great year 2000 was!

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Henry Shefflin was unable to start owing to injury but something tells me he came on late in the game.
He did POTH, I was at it (in Portlaoise), he nearly stole them a draw they wouldn't have deserved too.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes POTH Dylan Hayden was added to the squad, if i remember Jason Larkin from C/riverstown
went AWOL after the leinster final.

did Stephen Browne play in the minor football leinster final that year or was it 2001.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

townman wrote: did Stephen Browne play in the minor football leinster final that year or was it 2001.
He came on as a sub in the 2001 Leinster minor football final.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

cheers though that.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Heshs Umpire wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Henry Shefflin was unable to start owing to injury but something tells me he came on late in the game.
He did POTH, I was at it (in Portlaoise), he nearly stole them a draw they wouldn't have deserved too.
hear you have lost a fine young hurler over the weekend Hesh may he R.I.P .

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

townman wrote:
Heshs Umpire wrote:
hear you have lost a fine young hurler over the weekend Hesh may he R.I.P .

Not wanting to hijack the thread too much townman but i think the chap that died wasn't a hurler. Could be related to chap of the same surname on the B/K team. Stand to be corrected on this too.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Sorry Hesh, his brother so, stilL may he RIP.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Boomcha inquired for the 2000 minor and U21 lineouts. Rather than hijack the Leinster Club hurling and football thread I’ll give this one of its own.

The team for the 2000 Leinster Minor Final was:-
Shane O’Connor;
Adrian Clancy, Daniel Minnock, Barry Teehan;
Enda Grimes, Joe Brady (capt.), Stephen Brown;
Eoghan Carroll, Neville Coughlan;
Brian Carroll, Ger Rafferty, Michael Cordial;
Kevin Kelly, Rory Hanniffy, Jason Larkin.
Subs were: Séamus McDonald, John Clendennen, Martin Corcoran, Kevin Cummins, Colin Dunne, Ger Gardiner, Andrew Hall, Austen Lynch, Brendan O’Meara.
Management was: Paddy Kirwan (manager), Alan Walsh and Frank Whelahan.

I recall Dylan Hayden was added to the panel for the All-Ireland semi-final against Galway.

Dublin, with much media fanfare beforehand, featured Gary Maguire, Liam Óg Ó hÉineacháin, Conal Keaney and David O’Callaghan. Much was expected of Shane O’Neill who scored 3-2 in their semi-final win over Wexford. His only meaningful contribution to the game was to get put off for a few bad strokes in the Offaly goalmouth.

The Galway Minor team who beat Offaly in the subsequent All-Ireland semi-final featured Tony Óg Regan, Shane Kavanagh, Ger Farragher & Damien Hayes.

The Offaly U21 team that beat Kilkenny in the Leinster final six days later was:-
Shane O’Connor;
David Moran, Mick O’Hara (capt.), John Paul O’Meara;
David Franks, Willie Comerford, Stephen Brown;
Aidan Hanrahan, Declan Tanner,
Paul Molloy, Conor Gath, Brendan Murphy;
Rory Hanniffy, Eoin McGuinness, Damien Murray.
Subs were: Jason Ryan, Shane Horan, Joe Brady, Gary O’Connor, Richie McRedmond, David Carney, Paul Carroll, Paddy Teehan, Brian Troy.
Management was: Percy Clendennen (manager), Joe O’Connor and Ger Brereton.

The Kilkenny team featured Jamie Power in goal, Paul Shefflin, Noel Hickey & Mick Kavanagh in the full-back line, Micheál Hoyne & Aidan Cummins at 5 & 6 respectively. Henry Shefflin was unable to start owing to injury but something tells me he came on late in the game.

I missed that game but I still recall Dermot Crowe’s report in the next day’s ‘Sindo’ when he wrote (I’m paraphrasing) that the attendance witnessed a match they’d remember for the rest of their lives. I wonder is that piece available online.

By the time Offaly’s All-Ireland semi-final with Galway came around, Mick O’Hara (who was also a Senior panellist) had done his cruciate for the first time. Shane Horan came into the lineup and Seán Ormond and John McLoughney were added to the panel.

That Galway team was led by Eoin McDonagh, Diarmuid Cloonan, Derek Hardinam, and David Tierney.
Again, ended up down a wormhole. Is this the same Cllr. Clendennen (FG) who had some difficulty with the revenue commissioners? If so, what is the background of his involvement in hurling?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Percy's background in hurling is that he hurled in goals for Kinnitty for 20+ years, winning six Offaly SHCs and was Offaly sub goalkeeper for 1969's Leinster final and for a few years following that.
Keyser Soze wrote:Again, ended up down a wormhole. Is this the same Cllr. Clendennen (FG) who had some difficulty with the revenue commissioners? If so, what is the background of his involvement in hurling?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Some great hurlers on them teams real class...but then some very ordinary hurlers also.

Them very same ordinary hurlers would destroy our strongest now..what a shame!

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Percy's background in hurling is that he hurled in goals for Kinnitty for 20+ years, winning six Offaly SHCs and was Offaly sub goalkeeper for 1969's Leinster final and for a few years following that.
Keyser Soze wrote:Again, ended up down a wormhole. Is this the same Cllr. Clendennen (FG) who had some difficulty with the revenue commissioners? If so, what is the background of his involvement in hurling?
Thanks, and in terms of coaching?