U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly 1992
Junior C

U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Offaly 1992 »

Thought I would direct attention back domestically for a moment and focus upon the last remaining championship to be played in Offaly this year,the u21 football championship. Its nearing the closing stages already with Rhode awaiting the winners of Clara and St Patrick's of Edenderry which is being played this Saturday. What have any of you made of the championship so far? And who do you believe will win it out? Edenderry on paper look to have a strong team,Clara have a number of players with senior experience,and Rhode are many's favorites given that this team has dominated the underage championships over the past number of years?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Lone Shark »

Definitely I'd expect Edenderry to make the final, but that might be a bridge too far. Rhode's underage production line shuddered a little bit after this vintage and I'd be surprised if they win another one of these titles in the next six or seven years - the ridiculous potential of Ruairí McNamee is the only thing that might cause me to be wrong in that guess - but this year, they look really good. You still have Stephen Hannon, Johnny Brickland, Cian Donoghue, the McPaddens, all with intercounty experience and all in their last year. They'll be clear favourites.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

I assume St Patricks are a few clubs joined up with Edenderry yeah? Can someone clear this up for me? St Michaels have been a joke for years. I have no problem with Croghan and Clonmore lads joining another club at U21 level but surely it shouldnt be a powerhouse like Rhode???

Are Clara and Tullamore the only two standalone clubs left at this level?

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

I'm open to correction on 2 of my 3 points there. Living away from Offaly and just want clarification, but I'd stand by my St Michaels point 100%

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

St. Patricks are Ballyfore and Edenderry but after been at the Ferbane game last week I didn't see anyone from Ballyfore on the team as far as I could make out.

brian fantana
Intermediate
Club: rhode

Post by brian fantana »

so just because michaels have had a stranglehold on the u21 championship for the last 12 odd years, its a joke???? cant see that being a valid point atal, its up to every other parish u21 teams to put in the same effort michaels have being putting in.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In fairness, Rhode deserve a lot of credit for their underage domination for the last ten years and this has fed on to senior team.... Croghan Rhode and Clonmore combined is not a massive area at all and the population wouldnt be massive either..... It has really come from some excellent men working in the primary schools in the area and young players having such a good start in terms of coaching....and encouraged by the club, they started winning from a young age.... this confidence develops their love of the game and hence they are more likely to practice and become better players as a result......

It also helps that there is no hurling or soccer in the area to pull from the football....

That said, i think Rhode are at the very end of their dominance at this level..... they are way off the pace at 12,14,16 and minor this year (should be in B competitions at some levels) so maybe the work that was done in the past is not being pushed like it was or maybe just the talent is not there..... after this year, Michaels will struggle to win as Ferbane, Edenderry ballyfore combo, Shamrocks and Tullamore look set to be stronger in the coming years......in playing personnel at least...

I think it is a joke also with the structure of the teams..... Why do shannonbridge play with Ferbane all the way to minor and then join with Banagher for U21 while Birr go across to join Ferbane to make Wheery...... Wouldnt it be better to leave S/bridge with Ferbane and join Birr and Banagher to have a team....Where are KK here also.... they should have a seriously competitive 21 football team if it was given any push at all as it is a massive area running from Mucklagh all the way to Birr encompassing numerous primary schools..... Also, who are Na Fianna joined with and why are St Vincents not just called St Vincents and not another name as they presently are.... who are Walsh Island/ broughans joined with....and who are Doon and Erin Rovers with......Overall it appears to me that all this swapping and joining together simply makes teams lose their identity and accordingly, gives the championship a lesser importance than minor or adult competitions.....Junior inter senior etc..... as a result there is a large fall off in people playing between minor and 21 level..... I think it would be better to maintain club identity where possible and play a few minors if necessary rather than closing playing opportunities due to all these amalgamations......
jimbob

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

I’ll try answer some of your questions, to the best of my ability anyway, but please do interject if some of my answers are not entirely accurate.
But please, do try to use question marks after each ‘question’, otherwise how are we going to know it is actually a question?

Why do shannonbridge play with Ferbane all the way to minor and then join with Banagher for U21 while Birr go across to join Ferbane to make Wheery? – I don’t know the reason, but its what happens, so get over it.

Wouldnt it be better to leave S/bridge with Ferbane and join Birr and Banagher to have a team? – It’s a hypothetical question really. I’m not going to get involved and throw my opinion into the equation. Perhaps you could organise some sort of trial to test out which is better?

Where are KK here also? - I think we’ve established here before that they have no interest in the big ball game.

Who are Na Fianna joined with? - Nobody else to my knowledge. Na Fianna comprises of the Ballinagar, Killeigh, Killurin and Raheen clubs.

Why are St Vincents not just called St Vincents and not another name as they presently are? – St. Vincents is the name used for the Daingean parish Minor club, of which U-21 falls outside. Up to 2000, the minor club went by the name of Daingean Og. Their U-21 team had been known as St. Colmans for years, even winning 3 U-21 championships in the 80s under that name. As far as I know, they never ceased being called that, although I do agree that with the current set-up of football in the parish it would make more sense to be called St. Vincents. Similarly, the Ballycumber/Tubber combination is known as St. Manchans Gaels at U-21 level only, is that right?

Who are Walsh Island/ Broughans joined with? - Walsh island is not joined with anybody, because as their name suggests, it is an Island. St. Broughans consists of Bracknagh, Clonbullogue and the aforementioned club.

Who are Doon and Erin Rovers with? - They are joined with each other to form St. Colms at U-21 level

13 teams entered the Offaly U-21 championship this year, I think.
Clara
Durrow (Durrow & probably Ballinamere club too)
Na Fianna (Ballinagar, Killeigh, Killurin, Raheen)
Shamrocks
Shannon Gaels (Shannonbridge & St. Rynaghs)
St. Broughans (Bracknagh, Clonbullogue, Walsh Island)
St. Colmans (Ballycommon, Cappincur, Daingean, Kilclonfert)
St. Colms (Doon and Erin Rovers)
St. Manchans Gaels (Ballycumber & Tubber)
St. Michaels (Clonmore Harps, Rhode, St. Brigids)
St. Patricks (Ballyfore & Edenderry)
Tullamore
Wheery (Belmont, Birr, Ferbane)

My question is, where are Gracefield represented?

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Gracefield sought permission this year to play with St.Broughans. From my understanding they only supplied 4/5 to the St.Broughans panel.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Eh, Lusmagh made a contribution to Shannon Gaels 2013 too.
High School Musical wrote:Shannon Gaels (Shannonbridge & St. Rynaghs)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Eh, Lusmagh made a contribution to Shannon Gaels 2013 too.
High School Musical wrote:Shannon Gaels (Shannonbridge & St. Rynaghs)
How very right you are, Herb!
Apologies for that omission.

Big shout out to the Lusmagh massive!!!!