Leinster club hurling and football 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Leinster club hurling and football 2013

Post by kingscounty »

Well done to Ballinamere on a great win down in yellow belly country yesterday. Never an easy place to go and try and get a win and a long run in Leinster will stand to Ballinamere in next years Offaly senior club championship. If anyone was at the game maybe they could give us an update, maybe Durra could enlighten us if he was at the game. We have two Tullamore teams , two K/K teams and more in Leinster to look forward to hopefully one of them can capture a Leinster crown again.

Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Leinster club hurling and football 2013

Post by Toxicity234 »

AIB Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013
3. Newtown Blues (Louth) v Tullamore (OY) 27.10.2013 Drogheda 2.30
4. 3 v Summerhill (MH) 10.11.2013 Home Venue 3 TBC

I know nothing about Newtown Blues but the report from meath County final said it was a bad match so If tullamore can get over Newtown Blues they should have little to fear from Summerhill.

AIB Leinster Club Senior Hurling Championship 2013
3. Camross (Laois) v Kilcormac Killoughey (Offaly) 3.11.2013 Portlaoise 2.30
4. Kilkenny v Oulart The Ballagh (WX) 3.11.2013 Kilkenny 2.30

I haven't seen Camross playing but report they have a good team coming so Kilcormac Killoughey will have to be ready for that battle and not get caught up in looking further.
The other side of the hurling draw is a interesting one. Mount Leinster Rangers have a good team and on there day could beat the Dublin champion(that is of course if they get over the Weatmeath champion). when was the last time a Carlow team were in a Club Leinster Final??

AIB Leinster Intermediate Club Football Championship
5. Naomh Olaf (DB) v Kilcormac Killoughey (OY) 10.11.2013
6. Ballyroan Abbey (LS) v Gaeil Colmcille (MH) 3.11.2013 Crettyard 2.30

This is a tough one for Kilcormac Killoughey. Both because Naomh Olof are a good team and they be after playing a 1/4 in the hurling. ( so they be out and down or looking to a semi final aginist KIlkenny or Wexford Champion)

AIB Leinster Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2013
Round 1 3 00 PM Enniscorthy Shamrocks GAA Club 0-10 1-10 Ballinamere Killian Jones

2. Ballinamere v Sarsfields 3.11.2013 Venue 1 2.30

Well done again to Ballinamere. A great result away. Now Sarsfields. Any idea who Sarsfield are. When i saw it, i thought Kildare champions but Celbridge won the intermediate in Kildare.
Ballinamere are going to be a great addition to the Senior Rank in Offaly next year. looking Forward to seen them play at that level.

AIB Leinster Club Junior Football Championship 2013
6. St. Pauls v Birr (OY) 3.11.2013 Venue 5 2.30

Yeah, got this off the Leinster Gaa website. So Tullamore will have The Westmeath champion. (well done to tullamore Senior and Junior is great for the club.)
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sarsfields are from Newbridge. The Celbridge team who won the Intermediate championship are the club's second team. Only first teams are allowed inter the inter-provincial competitions. Therefore Sarsfields take their place in the Leinster Junior competition. By the same token, Ballinamere would have taken their place in Leinster regardless of the outcome of the Intermediate Final.

And Birr will be playing in the Leinster Junior football competition.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Big well done to Ballinamere yesterday.
They are certainly a team worth following.
Looking forward to some great clashes in the run-up to Christmas in all AIB competitions and lets hope that all our Offaly clubs enjoy a good run as there is certainly the, hurling and football, ability within the County and all we need is the self-belief and support.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

If memory serves me right I think Edenderry beat Sarsfields in the Leinster Special junior hurling championship 1/4 final back in 2009 in newbridge, I think they won by a few points.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Sarsfields are from Newbridge. The Celbridge team who won the Intermediate championship are the club's second team. Only first teams are allowed inter the inter-provincial competitions. Therefore Sarsfields take their place in the Leinster Junior competition. By the same token, Ballinamere would have taken their place in Leinster regardless of the outcome of the Intermediate Final.

And Birr will be playing in the Leinster Junior football competition.
Well that explain that. thanks man. I never remember that rule.
i had a mad weekend, i would love to have the time to go to wexford but i'll be there for the Sarsfield game.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Memory serves you well. Edenderry did indeed beat Sarsfields in 2009, by 2-14 to 3-7. prior to that Edenderry beat Kyle (Laois) 1-14 to 1-13 before being beaten by St Sylvester's in the Leinster final.

Sarsfields beat Killeigh in the first round the year prior to that.
kingscounty wrote:If memory serves me right I think Edenderry beat Sarsfields in the Leinster Special junior hurling championship 1/4 final back in 2009 in newbridge, I think they won by a few points.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

[quote="Toxicity234"]AIB Leinster Club Senior Football Championship 2013

AIB Leinster Intermediate Club Football Championship
5. Naomh Olaf (DB) v Kilcormac Killoughey (OY) 10.11.2013
6. Ballyroan Abbey (LS) v Gaeil Colmcille (MH) 3.11.2013 Crettyard 2.30

This is a tough one for Kilcormac Killoughey. Both because Naomh Olof are a good team and they be after playing a 1/4 in the hurling. ( so they be out and down or looking to a semi final aginist KIlkenny or Wexford Champion)

This is a tough draw as St Olafs beat Johnstownbridge on Sunday by 1.11 to 1.09 and Johnstownbridge were many peoples favorites to win the Leinster intermediate

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Tullamore footballers

Sunday's game against Newtown Blues will be an interesting measure of whether their win over Rhode was a well executed one off job where they successfully took down a better team, or whether they are genuinely as good as Rhode now. Newtown Blues are not as good as St Patricks were last year by any measure - they are a young and fit team certainly, but they don't have the class that Pats would have had and they certainly don't have a player like Paddy Keenan. The away aspect is tricky obviously, but if Tullamore's four point win over Rhode is a fair reflection of where they are, then they should be good enough to win this by something similar.

My concern here would be that Newtown will carry the ball all day - against Rhode, Tullamore dealt with long direct ball very well, but looked a little bit vulnerable when Rhode carried the ball into them - witness the scores from O'Connell, Dunne and Niall Mac just before half time. In fact I was surprised Rhode didn't do more of this in the second half on that basis. Tullamore will have to be better at defending the run here because the ball isn't going to be sent in long nearly as often.

KK footballers

This is both a terrible draw, and yet an ideal one for KK. If they had drawn a team like St Fintans, Muckalee, Geraldines or St Malachys, they could easily have won and would have prolonged their campaign without really having done anything meaningful. Fingallians (Paul Flynn's club) were the heavy favourites to win the Dublin final and Johnstownbridge were the overwhelming favourites to win Leinster after that. Kildare clubs have dominated this competition and JTB were excellent in the Kildare IFC this year. By beating both of those, Naomh Olaf have marked themselves out as the team to beat. If KK are good enough to take them, they're good enough to actually win the thing. If they don't, they're knocked out early, which will suit them.

Birr Footballers

The have nothing to fear from St Pauls, but it's very hard to bounce back from a heavy defeat like that, particularly when you have a good handful of players for whom football is a secondary concern. The competition tapers nicely for them though. St Pauls are nothing special in this context (they aren't Westmeath JFC champions either, they lost to Mullingar Shamrocks' second team in the final) and if they win that, you'd presume that it would be Hunterstown Rovers who would be next up. Louth teams have been very competitive in this event but that game would be at home - presumably in Birr - and after that you'd have a Leinster final against most likely Emmet Drumbaragh, or possibly Two Mile House, both of which would be very good at this level. The winners of that QF would be the overwhelming favourites to win Leinster out and while Birr would be 6/4 or 7/4 to beat Hunterstown, they'd be 3/1 or bigger in a Leinster final against either of those.

KK Hurlers

With all due respect to Camross, if KK aren't good enough to beat them, they're as well off out of the competition. Camross are not as good as Rathdowney/Errill were last year, and while the game will be played in Portlaoise, KK should have the experience and the strength to come through this one relatively easily. Yes they need to be on their guard, but they are All Ireland finalists now and need to be able to handle favouritism. You can't look to be the plucky underdog all your life. They've earned respect now, they need to be able to live up to that.

On the face of it, while their draw isn't as tough as last year, there is an absence of strong contenders out there and they should be looking at retaining Leinster at the very least. Oulart were pushed right to the wire by Ferns last year and they certainly aren't any better than last year, while the one team that looked very ominous - Ballyhale Shamrocks - have been eliminated. Carrickshock will be expected to account for Clara but they wouldn't be elite in a Kilkenny context, while Clara are definitely very ordinary, I've seen them firsthand. Ballyboden are back in good form and they'll cruise to a Leinster final I expect, they could be the toughest challenge KK will face between now and next Spring.

And we'll whisper it quietly, but there's nothing extraordinary in Munster or Galway either. POTH commented on the Galway SHC replay between St Thomas and Portumna, I was there too and I was equally underwhelmed. KK have a great chance to do something special in the next five months.

Ballinamere Hurlers

Any away win in Wexford is to be respected, but I wouldn't get carried away here - Shamrocks were essentially the Junior champions of Wexford, since they have an Intermediate championship and then an "Intermediate B", which was what they won. Wexford clubs have no better a record in this competition than we do. They will win their next two games but it'll be the final against Lisdowney that will be the big test and that's probably going to be a bridge too far. Since this competition started, KK clubs have won ten out of twelve renewals, losing the final on the other two occasions.

Crinkill hurlers

Toughest draw possible - almost certainly away to Castleknock in the quarter final. If they win that, they'll be long odds on favourites to finish out, but more likely Castleknock will win this competition, never winning by less than five points on the way.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Lone Shark wrote:Tullamore footballers

Sunday's game against Newtown Blues will be an interesting measure of whether their win over Rhode was a well executed one off job where they successfully took down a better team, or whether they are genuinely as good as Rhode now. Newtown Blues are not as good as St Patricks were last year by any measure - they are a young and fit team certainly, but they don't have the class that Pats would have had and they certainly don't have a player like Paddy Keenan. The away aspect is tricky obviously, but if Tullamore's four point win over Rhode is a fair reflection of where they are, then they should be good enough to win this by something similar.

My concern here would be that Newtown will carry the ball all day - against Rhode, Tullamore dealt with long direct ball very well, but looked a little bit vulnerable when Rhode carried the ball into them - witness the scores from O'Connell, Dunne and Niall Mac just before half time. In fact I was surprised Rhode didn't do more of this in the second half on that basis. Tullamore will have to be better at defending the run here because the ball isn't going to be sent in long nearly as often.

KK footballers

This is both a terrible draw, and yet an ideal one for KK. If they had drawn a team like St Fintans, Muckalee, Geraldines or St Malachys, they could easily have won and would have prolonged their campaign without really having done anything meaningful. Fingallians (Paul Flynn's club) were the heavy favourites to win the Dublin final and Johnstownbridge were the overwhelming favourites to win Leinster after that. Kildare clubs have dominated this competition and JTB were excellent in the Kildare IFC this year. By beating both of those, Naomh Olaf have marked themselves out as the team to beat. If KK are good enough to take them, they're good enough to actually win the thing. If they don't, they're knocked out early, which will suit them.

Birr Footballers

The have nothing to fear from St Pauls, but it's very hard to bounce back from a heavy defeat like that, particularly when you have a good handful of players for whom football is a secondary concern. The competition tapers nicely for them though. St Pauls are nothing special in this context (they aren't Westmeath JFC champions either, they lost to Mullingar Shamrocks' second team in the final) and if they win that, you'd presume that it would be Hunterstown Rovers who would be next up. Louth teams have been very competitive in this event but that game would be at home - presumably in Birr - and after that you'd have a Leinster final against most likely Emmet Drumbaragh, or possibly Two Mile House, both of which would be very good at this level. The winners of that QF would be the overwhelming favourites to win Leinster out and while Birr would be 6/4 or 7/4 to beat Hunterstown, they'd be 3/1 or bigger in a Leinster final against either of those.

KK Hurlers

With all due respect to Camross, if KK aren't good enough to beat them, they're as well off out of the competition. Camross are not as good as Rathdowney/Errill were last year, and while the game will be played in Portlaoise, KK should have the experience and the strength to come through this one relatively easily. Yes they need to be on their guard, but they are All Ireland finalists now and need to be able to handle favouritism. You can't look to be the plucky underdog all your life. They've earned respect now, they need to be able to live up to that.

On the face of it, while their draw isn't as tough as last year, there is an absence of strong contenders out there and they should be looking at retaining Leinster at the very least. Oulart were pushed right to the wire by Ferns last year and they certainly aren't any better than last year, while the one team that looked very ominous - Ballyhale Shamrocks - have been eliminated. Carrickshock will be expected to account for Clara but they wouldn't be elite in a Kilkenny context, while Clara are definitely very ordinary, I've seen them firsthand. Ballyboden are back in good form and they'll cruise to a Leinster final I expect, they could be the toughest challenge KK will face between now and next Spring.

And we'll whisper it quietly, but there's nothing extraordinary in Munster or Galway either. POTH commented on the Galway SHC replay between St Thomas and Portumna, I was there too and I was equally underwhelmed. KK have a great chance to do something special in the next five months.

Ballinamere Hurlers

Any away win in Wexford is to be respected, but I wouldn't get carried away here - Shamrocks were essentially the Junior champions of Wexford, since they have an Intermediate championship and then an "Intermediate B", which was what they won. Wexford clubs have no better a record in this competition than we do. They will win their next two games but it'll be the final against Lisdowney that will be the big test and that's probably going to be a bridge too far. Since this competition started, KK clubs have won ten out of twelve renewals, losing the final on the other two occasions.

Crinkill hurlers

Toughest draw possible - almost certainly away to Castleknock in the quarter final. If they win that, they'll be long odds on favourites to finish out, but more likely Castleknock will win this competition, never winning by less than five points on the way.
Lone Shark does your man Kilkenny that plays with Dublin play for Castleknock? I could be wrong but thought I heard somewhere a long time back that was his club.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Memory serves you well. Edenderry did indeed beat Sarsfields in 2009, by 2-14 to 3-7. prior to that Edenderry beat Kyle (Laois) 1-14 to 1-13 before being beaten by St Sylvester's in the Leinster final.

Sarsfields beat Killeigh in the first round the year prior to that.
kingscounty wrote:If memory serves me right I think Edenderry beat Sarsfields in the Leinster Special junior hurling championship 1/4 final back in 2009 in newbridge, I think they won by a few points.
Thanks for that POTH I wasnt 100% sure on the year but I knew they beat Sarsfields.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

kingscounty wrote: Lone Shark does your man Kilkenny that plays with Dublin play for Castleknock? I could be wrong but thought I heard somewhere a long time back that was his club.
It is - I know he didn't hurl during a lot of the summer and I don't think he played in any of the group games, but I'd presume he'd be available for the Dublin final this weekend and also for Leinster.

They'd have a few other handy lads as well - a lad called Forrest (can't remember the first name) would be very decent at full back, while Paul Mulvihill and Brian Dunne would be decent forwards, Mulvihill at 11 and Dunne in one of the corners most likely.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Lone Shark wrote:Tullamore footballers

KK Hurlers

And we'll whisper it quietly, but there's nothing extraordinary in Munster or Galway either. POTH commented on the Galway SHC replay between St Thomas and Portumna, I was there too and I was equally underwhelmed. KK have a great chance to do something special in the next five months. .
Ballyboden are 11/8 favs to win Leinster and should reach the final, KK are second favs @3/1, its all to do with the draw as Ballyboden have still to play their County Final, they have 12 of the Dublin senior hurling panel + 2 Wexford Senior hurlers in their squad but I think that KK will be a tough nut to crack, hope so anyway.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the Boden are knocking on the door a good few years now, unlucky again Birr in the leinster
final a few years ago but Birr gave them a lesson in hurling the year after in Parnell park.

Coolderry beat them in parnell park on their way to their leinster win as well, but they are still a
find side with Conal Keaney their main player, if they get out of Dublin in which they should
they could well get to the leinster final and who knows could win it and get to paddys day.

Lone Shark K/K will have to have their sums done for the Camross game, Camross are not going
to roll over to handy in portlaoise, they two have 2 leinster titles to their name and a good history behind them plus club is different to county.

i think if K/K get over Camross they could well go on to retain their leinster crown that game
could be the making of them like last years win over Rathdowney/E , but it could go to the wire, i think myself it will be a tight one.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

summerindublin wrote:This is a tough draw as St Olafs beat Johnstownbridge on Sunday by 1.11 to 1.09 and Johnstownbridge were many peoples favorites to win the Leinster intermediate
Last time I heard mention of St. Olaf was in the early 90's when I was watching 'The Golden Girls'.
What a show!!
And that Blanche one, what a fox!
Anybody?.........