Leinster club hurling and football 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Leinster club hurling and football 2013

Post by kingscounty »

Great win and fair play to Ballinamere, another great day for club hurling in Offaly. It will do them the world of good heading into the senior club championship next year. It's amazing what that winning feeling does for a team, mount Leinster winning an inter all Ireland few year back and now Leinster senior champions . I thought the game today was poor enough at times , couldn't believe how poor oularts shooting was ball after ball dropping short into the keepers hands, against k/k they were scoring at will. Great to see mount Leinster winning but if they want to progress they will need a lot more scores from their forward line, I think no.13 scored 8 points 7 from frees so the rest will have to stand up the next day. I hope and would love to see Carlow hurlers driving on next year after this great win today.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Ballinamere 2-8 Lisdowney 0-13

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I never thought I’d ever spend an hour literally shouting for Ballinamere, but I did today. It was really rousing, heartwarming stuff from green and gold. Yes, two early goals were a big part, but the bravery in stretching every sinew in a bid to make an incredible block, the lifting of siege after siege by a brilliant full-back line and the point-scoring of Stephen Weir all helped too.

All that combined to make a memorable occasion in O’Connor Park today. No atmosphere? O’Concrete Park? The ground rocked, and while the Lisdowney supporters in the stand played their part, the Ballinamere folk (and this Lusmagh Man, and Searing Drive too) got behind the locals and roared them to Leinster honours.

Let’s put this win in context –
2004 – Galmoy 1-14 Belmont 1-9
2008 – Tulloger-Rosbercon 1-16 Ballyskenagh 2-7
2010 – John Locke’s 2-14 Drumcullen 0-4
2011 – St Patrick’s 2-18 Brosna Gaels 1-4
2012 – Thomastown United 0-17 Lusmagh 0-7

Bleak reading. Prior to today, only Ballyskenagh had scored more than one goal against Kilkenny opposition, and an Offaly club has yet to score more than nine points (that still stands, by the way) and Kilkenny Junior champions have emerged as Leinster champions in ten of the twelve years of the competition.

But back to today, in short, it would have been an absolute travesty had Lisdowney stolen this. The early goals were a massive help, for they settled Ballinamere and rattled Lisdowney, who took some time to settle. As Ballinamere settled they did much better in the several scrum situations and got some fine ball in front of full-forward Stephen Weir, who had the measure of the full-back.

Lisdowney’s option was to attempt to barge in possession, or to break the tackle and attack off the front foot. They were helped by a referee who permitted WWF rules under the dropping ball and rarely blew for excessive steps. Lisdowney did settle and from reduced 2-5 to 0-3 arrears to 2-5 to 0-6 by half-time.

Into the second-half and Lisdowney seemed obsessed with going for goals. They did eventually equalise, finding outfield players with back-passes and picking off some fine scores. Then a goalbound shot that hit McLoughlin on the leg and you began to wonder if it was Ballinamere’s day.

With Ballinamere apparently fading as the challenges grew less intense, and less frequent, Stephen Weir’s point that opened their second half account at a time when Lisdowney had just equalised, couldn’t have been more opportune. At once the hooks and blocks went in and Ballinamere began to win possession in the scrums again. Bringing Weir to half-forward was a good move too. And Ballinamere used their bench frequently, and smartly.

Lisdowney did quickly equalise but momentum was with Ballinamere who restored their lead, then doubled it. A dangerous lead but Hickey was wide with a scoreable free as the pressure showed. Lisdowney soon pointed.

The pick-up was horrendous, but shows what pressure does. Item: Steve Davis missing a black off the spot. Hickey stood over the free around the ’65, near the sideline. The shot dropped short, Lisdowney gained possession, but ‘steps’ was the call and Ballinamere could celebrate. Incredible stuff.

Something tells me Ballinamere next play Fullen Gaels in the All-Ireland quarter-final in Birmingham in a fortnight. Fullen Gaels reached the All-Ireland Final in Croke Park last February and gave Thomastown loads of it. by the looks of things it is Creggan Kickhams from Randalstown, Co Antrim, who await the winners in the All-Ireland semi-final.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Massive win for Ballinamere today and great for their club and community couldn't be more delighted for them and for the people they represent.
Pairc Na hEireann, just walking distance from Birmingham Airport, and Fullen Gaels it is then on the 15th of December, .

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Brilliant achievement for Ballinamere; bit like KK after years of heartbreak and near misses, to win Leinster on the back of an historic county final is a dream come through.
Well done to Shamrocks minor footballers as well, rounding off the year as the first Offaly team to win the Eire Og Leinster tournament.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Congrats to Balinamere. Leinster Champion has a beautiful Ring to it.
more proof of improvement in Offaly club hurling.
Not Surprised at Balinamere winning. In Offaly they look like a good team but they have improved after that but beating the wexford champion who were a really good team and Ballinamere beat them in their own back yard, That shows how the clubs in Offaly have improved.
That only good news. The Level Of hurling in the club in Offaly at the moment is in Excellent Range.
Beating Lisdowney is a major improvement again for any Offaly team.

Mount Lenister Ranger Winning Today is great for Carlow Hurling and again no surprise but I was a bit shocked at the level of Hurling . Both Semi Final were very good. I thought today match was average at best. OTB must be kicking themselves. they beat themselves today some of the wide they hit in the first half were brutal.
But Mount Lenister Ranger Half Back and Full back were outstanding.

And Congrats to Shamrock Minor team, that a great news for Offaly Football.
“Common sense is not so common.”

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Oulart are Leinster hurling's very own Buffalo Bills.

Congratulations to Ballinamere.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done to Shamrocks and Ballinamere on 2 fantastic wins. From a personal point of view, football, great to see an Offaly club team compete at this level and hopefully Shamrocks can use this as a platform to rekindle the football in the parish to a level it used to be at.
To Old Yellar who frequently contributes here and knows more about Offaly hurling than many of us, BRILLIANT!! What a win for Mount Leinster yesterday. Oulart missed some really gilt edged chances, but MLR played some inspired stuff in the second half. I have to say, i said it befor KK played Oulart that KK would have to hold David Redmond, and they didnt. MLR did their homework and he was surrounded every time he got the ball in the second half.
No 6 for MLR was exceptional, a bit like the game Joe Brady had against Oulart 2 years ago. But why did Oulart move away from the expansive game they played against KK? They didnt move the ball anything like as quickly, and lorried ball after ball on top of the big man.

So to Old Yellar, well done and enjoy the celebrations!

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Ballinamere 2-8 Lisdowney 0-13

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I never thought I’d ever spend an hour literally shouting for Ballinamere, but I did today. It was really rousing, heartwarming stuff from green and gold. Yes, two early goals were a big part, but the bravery in stretching every sinew in a bid to make an incredible block, the lifting of siege after siege by a brilliant full-back line and the point-scoring of Stephen Weir all helped too.

All that combined to make a memorable occasion in O’Connor Park today. No atmosphere? O’Concrete Park? The ground rocked, and while the Lisdowney supporters in the stand played their part, the Ballinamere folk (and this Lusmagh Man, and Searing Drive too) got behind the locals and roared them to Leinster honours.

Let’s put this win in context –
2004 – Galmoy 1-14 Belmont 1-9
2008 – Tulloger-Rosbercon 1-16 Ballyskenagh 2-7
2010 – John Locke’s 2-14 Drumcullen 0-4
2011 – St Patrick’s 2-18 Brosna Gaels 1-4
2012 – Thomastown United 0-17 Lusmagh 0-7

Bleak reading. Prior to today, only Ballyskenagh had scored more than one goal against Kilkenny opposition, and an Offaly club has yet to score more than nine points (that still stands, by the way) and Kilkenny Junior champions have emerged as Leinster champions in ten of the twelve years of the competition.

But back to today, in short, it would have been an absolute travesty had Lisdowney stolen this. The early goals were a massive help, for they settled Ballinamere and rattled Lisdowney, who took some time to settle. As Ballinamere settled they did much better in the several scrum situations and got some fine ball in front of full-forward Stephen Weir, who had the measure of the full-back.

Lisdowney’s option was to attempt to barge in possession, or to break the tackle and attack off the front foot. They were helped by a referee who permitted WWF rules under the dropping ball and rarely blew for excessive steps. Lisdowney did settle and from reduced 2-5 to 0-3 arrears to 2-5 to 0-6 by half-time.

Into the second-half and Lisdowney seemed obsessed with going for goals. They did eventually equalise, finding outfield players with back-passes and picking off some fine scores. Then a goalbound shot that hit McLoughlin on the leg and you began to wonder if it was Ballinamere’s day.

With Ballinamere apparently fading as the challenges grew less intense, and less frequent, Stephen Weir’s point that opened their second half account at a time when Lisdowney had just equalised, couldn’t have been more opportune. At once the hooks and blocks went in and Ballinamere began to win possession in the scrums again. Bringing Weir to half-forward was a good move too. And Ballinamere used their bench frequently, and smartly.

Lisdowney did quickly equalise but momentum was with Ballinamere who restored their lead, then doubled it. A dangerous lead but Hickey was wide with a scoreable free as the pressure showed. Lisdowney soon pointed.

The pick-up was horrendous, but shows what pressure does. Item: Steve Davis missing a black off the spot. Hickey stood over the free around the ’65, near the sideline. The shot dropped short, Lisdowney gained possession, but ‘steps’ was the call and Ballinamere could celebrate. Incredible stuff.

Something tells me Ballinamere next play Fullen Gaels in the All-Ireland quarter-final in Birmingham in a fortnight. Fullen Gaels reached the All-Ireland Final in Croke Park last February and gave Thomastown loads of it. by the looks of things it is Creggan Kickhams from Randalstown, Co Antrim, who await the winners in the All-Ireland semi-final.
Ich bin ein Ballinamere man. Yes, I stood and cheered for with POTH yesterday, well done. 2 mentions on this website in a few days, the other in a witty rap song!!!, almost achieved mini clelebrity status.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Dreamland stuff for the club..

It really is hard to convey the then and the now in terms of the journey Ballinamere-Durrow Hurling has been on.

One of the refreshing things about yesterday was how panellists from the IHC stage stepped up and played their part as starters.

Without doubt Seamus McKeogh has been the difference between what has gone before and where Ballinamere are at now. He managed Durrow through the JHC grades around the turn of the millenium and has that management x-factor in terms of player management and knowing when to make key calls during a game. One hell of a gentlemen too.

Taking the blinkers off, I really do think a few of these lads are capable of making the step up to inter county. More generally, I think it says something about what underage amalgamation and 'divisional teams' can do for the clubs involved. A few years on we have two relative newcomers to the SHC and for sure some county panellists. The SHC and all else will be the better for them.

Given what's been before and the quality of the man at the helm, I don't think this team will underestimate anything or anyone that comes before them. There's an honesty of effort about this bunch that only comes with knowing adversity and loss.

Fair play to all from the county who turned out to support the lads yesterday.

Hon the Bally Boys!

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Where to start! Hon the rangers! What a day for carlow hurlinf. I hoped ye bked them like i said too. 100/1! Not pretty but who cares. These lads are never bet. They were gutted to loose to kk last year and this drove them on. They ll be hard beat.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

History made in Munster today with Ballysaggart becoming the first Waterford winners of the Club JHC in the Southern province. They beat Feenagh-Kilmeedy from Limerick by 3-12 to 0-15. They go on to meet Connacht champions Calry-St Joseph's in the All-Ireland semi-final.

So the 2013-14 Club junior championship will be a very different this season. Only the third time a Kilkenny club has not emerged from Leinster, just the fourth time a Cork club has not won out in Munster. In February an All-Ireland champion from a county other than Cork or Kilkenny will be crowned for just the second occasion. Blackrock (the Limerick one) currently hold that unique feat.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Expect Ballinamere are well enroute to their overnight hideout before they face Fullen Gaels at high noon in Pairc Na hEireann, Birmingham tomorrow.
The very best of luck to them in their quest to bring even more honour on themselves and their community.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ballinamere 0-10 Fullen Gaels 1-08 , hard luck to Ballinamere great year this year and a big year ahead next year, rest up and enjoy Xmas you did your club and county proud.

Poshdub
Junior C

Post by Poshdub »

Hard luck to Ballinamere. Can't believe the English team played illegal players and brought on a lad who was suspended. All the locals were on about it. Should these teams be allowed to play in these competitions?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Poshdub wrote:Hard luck to Ballinamere. Can't believe the English team played illegal players and brought on a lad who was suspended. All the locals were on about it. Should these teams be allowed to play in these competitions?
Two completely separate issues there surely. Of course the English teams should be allowed play, GAA abroad is a huge part of the association and one that's of vital importance to us all, in Ireland and further afield. I played for a year in London and they're just as committed over there as people are over here, despite the fact that the barriers to participation are much more difficult to overcome. I'd have the height of respect for any exiled club and would absolutely want them to be included as much as they want to be.

However that's the first I heard of illegal and/or suspended players taking part and if true, they should of course be thrown out and Ballinamere allowed advance. However you'd want to see fairly clear evidence of this - I presume you've a lot more to go on than "locals on about it"?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.